One at a time? Or Combination?

Options
Hello everyone!
I'm new to the whole MFP thing, and I have some very wonderful friends who keep an eye out for me and encourage me to post anything and everything!

It's been a few weeks and I've started to notice some things. 1) As a dual-degree graduate student (law and public health) my meals are sporadic, easy, and usually high in calories. I can do fine on my own, but the minute a social situation arises, I'm engulfing pizzas, beer, or whatever else the group is in the mood for. 2) It is HARD for me to find time to exercise. I'm currently in my (literally) month's worth of finals and haven't done much of anything except sitting, hunched over books and my computer.

So, my question is: which approach is better? Should I focus on eating better, and making healthier choices while I'm out with friends, and once I've mastered that, add in some exercise? Or is it more beneficial to do them both at once? How does everyone find the time?

Any help is much appreciated :)

Replies

• sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    No help on the diet end but I'm also a dual degree grad student!! Law and social work :)
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    All weight loss stats agree (or seem to from my limited research) that loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise, so i would focus on what you eat and enough of the proper foods to fuel you, then when you can add in even minimal exercise of 30 minutes 3-4 days a week.
  • lmj0707
    lmj0707 Posts: 13
    Options
    I think it's important to incorprate changes that can last you a life time, not just short term. What I mean is, try to eat healthier now and forever more. If pizza and beer can't be avoided, eat in moderation. If you have any available time, take a brisk walk. It will take longer to lose weight this way than keeping to a strict diet and exercise regime but it's more likely going to be something you can maintain, not dread, and not fall off the wagon. Slow and steady wins the race!