How do you make sweet potato fries?

Options

Replies

• mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My Dad owned a cafe where I learned and trained up to be a sous chef :)
    This is our famous recipe for sweet potato or (yam fries)
    Peel the sweet potato and cut into small fries
    Then arrange them onto a cookie sheet and spritz with cooking oil
    sprinkle spice rub on them ( recipe to follow)
    Then bake
    Simple easy and they come out soooo delicious they were our hot ticket item! My Dad used to serve them with mayo, but since we are trying to lose weight I think greek yogurt might make a good substitute
    Spice rub recipe ( I cut this down for a small recipe but you can make more with these ratios)
    1tsp and 1/2 salt
    1tsp sugar
    1tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp cinnamon
    Mix these all together and evenly distribute on the fries

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.....have been looking for a decent recipe to try cause the deep fried ones are.....well....we all know what they are. Am going to so try this one this weekend!!!
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My Dad owned a cafe where I learned and trained up to be a sous chef :)
    This is our famous recipe for sweet potato or (yam fries)
    Peel the sweet potato and cut into small fries
    Then arrange them onto a cookie sheet and spritz with cooking oil
    sprinkle spice rub on them ( recipe to follow)
    Then bake
    Simple easy and they come out soooo delicious they were our hot ticket item! My Dad used to serve them with mayo, but since we are trying to lose weight I think greek yogurt might make a good substitute
    Spice rub recipe ( I cut this down for a small recipe but you can make more with these ratios)
    1tsp and 1/2 salt
    1tsp sugar
    1tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp cinnamon
    Mix these all together and evenly distribute on the fries

sounds good! what temp?
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I cut them into fries. I DON'T peel them. Coat with a little olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, and cayenne, chili powder, or paprika then roast them at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. So yummy...
  • morningsun3112
    morningsun3112 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • alicialiken
    alicialiken Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ore Ida makes frozen sweet potato fries. Not the healthiest but they're under 200 calories for 22 fries & they're super yummy with a little garlic salt and pepper.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I always have trouble getting mine to crisp. I have tried so many cooking techniques and it never works. Of course the store bought frozen ones crisp just fine, but I much prefer making my own, and they never crisp, and definitely not evenly
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I open the bag, pour out the fries and cook them according to the directions. But, that's probably not what you're asking. :laugh:

I love sweet potato fries!
  • Jennra
    Jennra Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    okay this is a dangerous way to make them........because they are way too good.........but slice them thin, lay them one layer only on a oil sprayed tray in your microwave......or if you prefer no oil at all........lay them on parchement paper.......sprinkle with seasoning of choice........microwave till crispy and golden......you decide..........but keep a close eye on them as it is a fine line between crispy and burned:laugh: ENJOY!!!!!:love:
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I tried a few times.

The easiest seemed to be tossing them in a bowl with 2-3 egg whites, once they're all coated, toss a bit of flour in there, and make sure they're all dusted evently.

I forget how long I cooked em, I'm assuming 350 for 25-30mins but they came out crispy, that I remember.
  • shoosh413
    shoosh413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    heat oven to 350, wash the potatoes, dry with paper towels leave shin :bigsmile: intact the best part. Cut up however you like but not to thick. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil law potatoes flat, spray with olive oil spray , you can season with your favorite spice , bake for 20 -25 turning once. Enjoy...
  • paradise311
    Options
    This is one of my favorite things to eat. I eat it at least once a week. First I peel the sweet potato then I cut it in half length wise and then cut it into thin slices. After it's all cut I put them in a gallon size ziplock bag. Then I put a tablespoon of canola oil (you can use olive oil if you prefer). After they're all coated with oil I add a little bit of salt, some pepper, a lot of cayenne pepper (because I love spicy fries), and some parmesan cheese. Once it's all mixed together in the bag I then I put them on a cookie sheet and set the oven to 350. I flip them when they've been in the oven for about 15 minutes. I then leave them in the oven for another 5-10 minutes. I hope you enjoy this recipe. I know I do! lol
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • brooke741
    brooke741 Posts: 14
    Options
    http://www.busybuthealthy.com/2012/01/31/roasted-sweet-potato-with-parmesan-rosemary/

I thought these looked good, not fries but still look YUM! :)
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If no one has said this yet: PARCHMENT PAPER. (Not waxed paper it will smoke badly), actual parchment paper. Line your cookie sheet with it and they will not stick.

Use this recipe-it's simple and delicious:

Peel the sweet potato and cut into fries. I cut it in half and then each half in half and work with cutting the flat pieces down from there.

toss them in a bowl with 1 egg white and 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Spread in a single layer on parchment lined cookie sheet.

Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown about 35 minutes flipping them once.

Again, with the parchment paper there is no need to mess up your cookie sheet using additional oil.
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I tried to once before and they came out all wrong! Lol.

How do I make them? I was thinking of having some with some steamed carrots for dinner. =D

I spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, put my fries on it sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and cayenne pepper, r you can toss the fries in the seasonings with some olive oil, bake them at about 400 until one,you have to watch so they don't burn. I've one that a couple of times! Really tasty though!
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump
  • frenchie2727
    frenchie2727 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't peel mine either, and I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned to make sure the cuts are NOT touching each other...if they touch it generates too much steam (or something like that) and they will not get crispy. If you have a not so great sweet potato (unfortunately you can't tell until after they're cooked and you taste them!) your fries will be not so good.