Gym Shyness?

Options
So, I wanted to start the Stronglifts 5x5 program today at my gym. When I got there, I felt completely overwhelmed as I've never touched the free weights section before -- all these buff guys who looked like they knew exactly what they were doing were crawling all over the place, and I couldn't even figure out which 'machine' was the one that I was looking for (to do my squats/bench press/barbell row).

Does anyone have any tips for how to step into that situation, having never done it before? I know I should just... suck it up and do it, but... I ended up just using a couple of the weight machines instead. Feel like such a wuss now.

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I looked up all the moves and correct equipment on-line first. I had never used a squat rack, so wasn't even sure how to set up in one. BodyBuilding.com has a lot of great exercise videos.

I just went in with a specific plan, kept my head down, and executed my plan. Soon enough, I was comfortable in the weights area and now I look forward to it.
  • pundas
    pundas Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I first joined my gym they give you a tour and a free first workout guide with a personal trainer. They show you all the machines and how to use them and help you determine what is right for you. I would definitely ask at the front desk if someone could show you around!
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer any free or discounted personal training? If you could have a session with a PT, her or she could help you figure out the best equipment optons for your plan.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I looked up all the moves and correct equipment on-line first. I had never used a squat rack, so wasn't even sure how to set up in one. BodyBuilding.com has a lot of great exercise videos.

I just went in with a specific plan, kept my head down, and executed my plan. Soon enough, I was comfortable in the weights area and now I look forward to it.

Thanks for the link, I found random little animated gif's telling me how to do the moves, but having videos is a good idea.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    If you don't know how to do something ask someone. A gym membership usually comes with a 1 time personal training session for this reason. Yes the main reason is for them to get more money from you by signing up for sessons but take full advantge of it and spend that hour asking all the questions you can think of on the machines or free weight and exactly how to do something. Also usually you can find someone that works there that can help you out. They would rather you ask then get hurt on one of the machines or in the free weight section by having bad form.
  • FitJenJen
    FitJenJen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with asking someone at the gym for an "orientation" type appointment. I have belonged to 3 difft gyms and they were all accomodating on this kind of thing. They don't want anyone to get hurt!

I just started with lifting and I bought a 6 week personal training session. I am having a trainer help me get into the weight section of the gym. Its very helpful to me to go over form, etc. If you can afford it, I would recommend it!

Good Luck!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    So, I wanted to start the Stronglifts 5x5 program today at my gym. When I got there, I felt completely overwhelmed as I've never touched the free weights section before -- all these buff guys who looked like they knew exactly what they were doing were crawling all over the place, and I couldn't even figure out which 'machine' was the one that I was looking for (to do my squats/bench press/barbell row).

Does anyone have any tips for how to step into that situation, having never done it before? I know I should just... suck it up and do it, but... I ended up just using a couple of the weight machines instead. Feel like such a wuss now.

Sounds very familiar. Honestly, I wimped out and reproduced the workout at home using my Power Blocks (adjustable dumbbells). I'm about a month in now and feeling much more confident about it, so now I'm trying to find a gym with the right barbell gear / practices (allow chalk, at least 2 power racks, that kind of thing).

I wouldn't recommend doing what I did for very long. It's getting hard on my shoulders to raise 60+ pounds each for squats (instead of resting the weight on my back, as would be done with a barbell).
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Just jump on in. Do the moves you are planning on at home before you go to the gym with no weights, so you are sure that you know the correct form.

At my gym, I am the only girl who lifts heavy in the free weight section that I have ever seen. I also wear baggy t-shirts and sweat a lot, so I am not even that cute girl who lifts heavy. If I can bring my sweaty *kitten* to the free weights so can you :-)

Good Luck!

*note: I might not look like much at the gym but I clean up well
  • imthelobster
    Options
    If you don't know how to do something ask someone. A gym membership usually comes with a 1 time personal training session for this reason. Yes the main reason is for them to get more money from you by signing up for sessons but take full advantge of it and spend that hour asking all the questions you can think of on the machines or free weight and exactly how to do something. Also usually you can find someone that works there that can help you out. They would rather you ask then get hurt on one of the machines or in the free weight section by having bad form.

Unfortunately I used the free session when I first signed up for the gym about a year ago, before I really got serious about changing the way I lived. They didn't show me any free weight stuff, or really anything about the equipment at all. They just kind of hounded into me that I was overweight and that I needed to pay for more sessions because I couldn't do it by myself.

I'll definitely need to suck it up and see if they have someone who works there that can help, though. I just don't want to get roped into something that costs more money, as I'm a broke college student.
  • decy63
    decy63 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If the buff guys are working out properly they will ave no interest in what you are doing. Seriously only the odd idiot has any interest in what others are doing go in lift and enjoy.
  • imthelobster
    Options
    If the buff guys are working out properly they will ave no interest in what you are doing. Seriously only the odd idiot has any interest in what others are doing go in lift and enjoy.

Ahaha, thank you for this! I really need to remember that no one cares.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I was told by a trainer friend of mine that for each different type of lift or machine... The amount of weight you lift should be so much that you can barely make it to your 15th rep, but not enough that you can't make it to 8 reps... and that if you work one muscle group than you need to work the opposing muscle group... Ie. If you do a bicep lift then you need to do a tricep lift, etc....She also said that you should never bend your joints in more than a 90 degree angle for each machine . I'm sure the gym staff will be happy to help show you how to use the different machines too :)
  • decy63
    decy63 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Google Starting Strength by Mark Rippitoe and follow his program to the letter.
  • loftus2005
    Options
    I totally felt this same way when I started lifting. I knew what to do and use I just felt intimidated so I started going at a time there was hardly anyone in the gym. It made me feel like no one was watching and after a few times of doing this I felt more comfortable going when there were more people around! Chances are no one is even paying attention to what you are doing!! Be confident it will all come around!! :)
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    DON'T let the muscle heads deter you from your goal!!!!! I get in there with my "Barbie Bells" and do my thing. I have a torn bicep injury that keeps me from doing super heavy weights right now. I do what I can and work my *kitten* off. If you look on-line at how the exercises are supposed to be done you'll notice that a lot of the meat heads do them wrong! FYI at my gym there are all kinds in the free weight room i.e. muscle heads, fit people, overweight people, unfit folks, etc. As my husband says, they aren't looking at you, they are concentrating on their workout. If they ARE looking at you EFF 'EM!!!!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I watch videos on YouTube if I'm going to be doing an exercise I am unfamiliar with. Also, choose whatever cardio equipment is closest to the free weight area, hop on and observe. I also try to lift at non peak times. Early on Sat and Sun mornings are good at my gym.
  • imthelobster
    Options
    I totally felt this same way when I started lifting. I knew what to do and use I just felt intimidated so I started going at a time there was hardly anyone in the gym. It made me feel like no one was watching and after a few times of doing this I felt more comfortable going when there were more people around! Chances are no one is even paying attention to what you are doing!! Be confident it will all come around!! :)

Ohh, that's a really good idea. Then I won't feel as self-conscious, even though people aren't actually looking at me.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    My gym is crowded like this, but no one is paying a lick of attention to what anyone else is doing. They're all pretty much in their own world, and when they're not, they're keeled over trying to catch a breath. I'd suggest looking up techniques/machines on a building website or invest in a few sessions with a gym trainer. Also, isn't there always a trainer available in the actual gym area if you have a question? I've asked those people a few times (how to work the machine, etc.).
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I agree. Don't let those guys scare you off. They are harmless and usually they are really nice if you need help with something. My husband is finding that at our gym if you just start talking to someone while they are 'resting' or whatever that they are pretty friendly.

When I started lifting I had no idea what I was doing. I also watched the videos on Bodybuilding.com and then printed out my workout sheet or wrote it down on paper and went to it. I find that if I don't go w/out a sheet in front of me then I walk around like I don't know what to do.

Good luck!
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Ahaha, thank you for this! I really need to remember that no one cares.

Without a doubt remember this. If you workout at a gym which is open all the time go in when during an odd time such as between 12am and 4am to become accustomed to what you are doing if you are still feeling shy. If you have a smartphone download Jefit you'll have access to a routine and how to conduct the lifts in the palm of your hand.