Swollen Knee :-( Boo Hoo!

Options
Looks like I get to take a week off at least of my 30ds. I was doing great then after day 5 of level one on Friday my right knee started hurting behind the back. Then I noticed Saturday morning that my knee was swollen on both sides. Talked with a friend who is a personal trainer and he said it comes from weak knee ligaments. No bruising or sharp pain. Doesn't hurt all the time. Was better this morning but by the time I was on my feet all day it's swollen again.

Any advice? He says maybe the jumping jacks are too much on my knees. I have those crackly knees anyways. I would get sore on my right knee every now a again, but this is the first time it's had any associated swelling.

I am so bummed. I walked Saturday at a slower pace with my boxer. Today I did an upper body weight workout with my 2 oldest boys. I plan on walking tomorrow, but no running and no power walking. I just don't want any idle days. I was so excited on Friday because the work out was easier and I just knew by Monday or Tuesday I would be able to progress to level 2. Big Big Boo Hoo Bummer. :sad: :cry: :sad:

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back on track after knee surgery.

I'm just going to give you one piece of advice.

If your body needs you to rest, rest.

You can do much more damage to yourself if you push yourself when you are injured.
  • Caro1991
    Caro1991 Posts: 97
    Options

You can do much more damage to yourself if you push yourself when you are injured.
    May I ask what you had surgery for? And what deevaa said, I have a tear and I keep pushing myself till I can even walk, but everyone tells me to rest it, gets annoying beacuse I cant even walk for to long but I have to do whats best for myself(I've had my injury for 5yrs)
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Ice, ice, ice.

Relative rest... i.e. non-impact.

If the swelling continues for more than 7-10 days, go see an orthopedist.

"Weak ligaments" is a weak diagnosis, IMO. I can't examine your knee, so I am not going to hazard a guess, but swelling that does not resolve quickly can be a sign of something inside the joint. Could just be arthritis, could be something more. Have it checked if it doesn't get better.

All the best,
    Hope you feel better soon...
    Jen
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Is swimming an option for you? It doesn't have to be strenious,but it would get you moving and be non-weight baring.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    maybe you have a `water on the knee` injury, and you should see a doctor to get it drained. (SOUNDS GROSS I KNOW LOL)

i had a swollen knee injury, ive been resting for two weeks (meaning, just strength training hahaha so brutal) and introducing low impact cardio exercises (walking, elliptical maybe) as i feel better. you truly need to REST it, i got injured because i was working out 7 days a week for about 2 hours a day. overdid it by a long shot!

resting=getting better quicker=back on the horse quicker. ;)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

May I ask what you had surgery for? And what deevaa said, I have a tear and I keep pushing myself till I can even walk, but everyone tells me to rest it, gets annoying beacuse I cant even walk for to long but I have to do whats best for myself(I've had my injury for 5yrs)

I had two tears in the cartilage. One on the underside of my kneecap, so the 'flap' of the tear was causing damage to it's connecting surfaces.

At first I ignored the pain/swelling thinking it was due to the fact that I'm overweight and started exercising after a long time of inactivity... it was several months of it getting worse before I actually realised that it was something worse.

It's been 7wks since my surgery and I'm still having some issues with pain/swelling -- the surgeon and physio both said it's because of the location of the tear... I've been back at the gym for almost 5wks now, but only just getting back into things like squats.
  • BosLady1
    BosLady1 Posts: 83
    Options
    I also was doing Jillian 30 ds tonight and my left knee just wasn't having it. =( I kept going (at a slower pace) but hopefully I didn't hurt it. Today is just day 3 and only day 7 of me working out for the first time in 4 months and before that it had been 3 years, and before that...NEVER! I don't want to give up or have idle days like you said. I'm afraid to stop for fear I won't restart. Hopefully tomorrow morning brings better news and no knee pain for the both of us! Good Luck =)
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with knee problems for a while...Ice, elevation and ibuprofen (assuming you're not allergic to it). If it keeps hurting...someone already mentioned it...go see an orthopedist. Chances are the doctor is going to tell you to go to physical therapy to strengthen the muscles surrounding your knee.

Also, I started 30DS a while back and there are a lot of stretches and workouts in there that could easily cause knee problems if they're not done properly. It's been a couple months since I watched it so I don't remember everything, but make sure when you do lunges be sure your knee stays over your foot but doesn't go over your toe, and when your stretching your quads don't pull your knee out to the side. I don't think she does a very good job on making this clear.
  • Caro1991
    Caro1991 Posts: 97
    Options
    [/quote]
    I had two tears in the cartilage. One on the underside of my kneecap, so the 'flap' of the tear was causing damage to it's connecting surfaces.

At first I ignored the pain/swelling thinking it was due to the fact that I'm overweight and started exercising after a long time of inactivity... it was several months of it getting worse before I actually realised that it was something worse.

It's been 7wks since my surgery and I'm still having some issues with pain/swelling -- the surgeon and physio both said it's because of the location of the tear... I've been back at the gym for almost 5wks now, but only just getting back into things like squats.
    [/quote]
    Oh my, Thats what I have but I just have one tear. am scared of surgery but I know its something I might need. Good luck to you and hope for a faster recovery.
  • Kylabgeek
    Kylabgeek Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ice, ice, ice.

Relative rest... i.e. non-impact.

If the swelling continues for more than 7-10 days, go see an orthopedist.

"Weak ligaments" is a weak diagnosis, IMO. I can't examine your knee, so I am not going to hazard a guess, but swelling that does not resolve quickly can be a sign of something inside the joint. Could just be arthritis, could be something more. Have it checked if it doesn't get better.

All the best,
    Hope you feel better soon...
    Jen

Thanks Jen. It does feel better today. No pain behind my knee today and just a bit of swelling. Limited myself to an hour walk with the dog today. I think Mike suggested weak knee because due to illness and seizures I was sedentary from October to February not being able to even be alone for any length of time and stuck on the couch or in bed plus emergency surgery on my stomach in February. I will definitely keep an eye on it. I have to find a new primary care dr since I moved anyways so I will let them know what happened just so there is a record.
  • Kylabgeek
    Options
    Is swimming an option for you? It doesn't have to be strenious,but it would get you moving and be non-weight baring.

Not right now. I have to be careful due to seizures and the hubby doesn't feel comfortable me going to a gym alone right now. I had a seizure in the bath once and also blacked out once in the tub and went under so we are both skittish. I was doing the 30ds so I can be at home if I need to stop. Walking is pretty much all I can do alone, and I keep in contact with someone and most of the time have someone with me.

Hoping to join the YMCA soon. We have a weight bench at home which helps too. I lost my job due to the illness so I have to let the financial part get stable a bit before I add an expense.
  • Kylabgeek
    Options
    maybe you have a `water on the knee` injury, and you should see a doctor to get it drained. (SOUNDS GROSS I KNOW LOL)

i had a swollen knee injury, ive been resting for two weeks (meaning, just strength training hahaha so brutal) and introducing low impact cardio exercises (walking, elliptical maybe) as i feel better. you truly need to REST it, i got injured because i was working out 7 days a week for about 2 hours a day. overdid it by a long shot!

resting=getting better quicker=back on the horse quicker. ;)

Doesn't sound gross at all lol. I am a lab scientist by trade so not much grosses me out! Thanks for the tip. And I have been trying to rest as I can. 5 kids doesn't let me do that much.
    !
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you were really sedentary for a number of months you'd be surprised how everything else weakens too - after I had hip surgery I lost so much strength in my butt and legs... and often knee pain actually comes from weak butt and hips not moving as they should. Just go slow and like everyone else said, ice, rest, etc. My knees are crackly and cranky too. The swelling seems concerning so I'm glad you're keeping an eye on it - a physical therapist or sports medicine doc would be great to go see if it keeps up. Feel better!
  • Kylabgeek
    Options
    I've been dealing with knee problems for a while...Ice, elevation and ibuprofen (assuming you're not allergic to it). If it keeps hurting...someone already mentioned it...go see an orthopedist. Chances are the doctor is going to tell you to go to physical therapy to strengthen the muscles surrounding your knee.

Also, I started 30DS a while back and there are a lot of stretches and workouts in there that could easily cause knee problems if they're not done properly. It's been a couple months since I watched it so I don't remember everything, but make sure when you do lunges be sure your knee stays over your foot but doesn't go over your toe, and when your stretching your quads don't pull your knee out to the side. I don't think she does a very good job on making this clear.

Thanks for the tip. I will be double aware of form just in case. Might have a kiddo watch me to make sure I am not doing that. And my trainer friend told me of a few stretches to add before hand saying it never hurts to add a few stretches to what you are already doing.