Muscle definition starter

Options
Im thinking of going to start taking the maximuscle promax diet shakes. I do want to get a bit bigger but at the moment I want to get some more muscle definition and this seems like the ideal one. But was just wondering if there are any others out on the market that are similar?

Cheers

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Im thinking of going to start taking the maximuscle promax diet shakes. I do want to get a bit bigger but at the moment I want to get some more muscle definition and this seems like the ideal one. But was just wondering if there are any others out on the market that are similar?

Cheers

Protein shakes don't get you bigger or more defined, diet and training regimen will do that, not a single food stuff
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes don't get you bigger or more defined, diet and training regimen will do that, not a single food stuff

Broscience: it's been scientifically proven that beer makes people look sexier =P
  • Nick061981
    Nick061981 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    But doesn't the maximuscle promax diet help with definition and fat loss. I know working out is what really makes it happen and Im currently doing 90 mins of cardio and then I do a small amount of weights,4 times a week, but im looking to increase this. I do want to build muscle and would like advice on supplments to take to help this.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    But doesn't the maximuscle promax diet help with definition and fat loss. I know working out is what really makes it happen and Im currently doing 90 mins of cardio and then I do a small amount of weights,4 times a week, but im looking to increase this. I do want to build muscle and would like advice on supplments to take to help this.
    I'm not going to get into a huge long reply here, but please use the "search" function when asking about muscle gains. To put it simply, if you want to GAIN muscle, you will most likely have to be at a calorie surplus (not deficit) and be lifting heavy.

If you have weight to lose, you can try to make it be as much fat as possible, which would "visibly enhance" your muscle tone, but not necessarily make you gain muscle. Once again, strength training plays a huge part here, not just cardio...

PS: I love cardio, I'm just trying to answer your question as best I can
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to get into a huge long reply here, but please use the "search" function when asking about muscle gains. To put it simply, if you want to GAIN muscle, you will most likely have to be at a calorie surplus (not deficit) and be lifting heavy.

If you have weight to lose, you can try to make it be as much fat as possible, which would "visibly enhance" your muscle tone, but not necessarily make you gain muscle. Once again, strength training plays a huge part here, not just cardio...

PS: I love cardio, I'm just trying to answer your question as best I can

Great answer here!

More muscle? Calorie surplus
    Less fat (more defined)? Small calorie deficit with sufficient protein.

A solid lifting program is needed in both, unless you want to lose fat and muscle.

If it were me, I wouldn't waste my money. I did a bulk last year, the only supplement I needed in that time was a whey protein shake every day so I reached my protein target. All the rest of my calories / macros came from regular food, and I did just fine (better than I expected!)
  • Melzicious
    Options

I'm confused... have you already gone through a bulking period? Even if you have, 90 minutes of cardio and a small amount of weights is going to cause you to lose muscle mass. If you want definition, you have to diet, eat high protein to minimize lean mass losses, and continue to lift.
  • Nick061981
    Options
    Sheehycfc - Thank you. I will be honest and say Im very unsure about what I should be doing and best way.

I want to build muscle, not get massive just want good lean muscle and I want to lose the fat on my belly. I know you cant spot burn but If I can see other changes elsewhere that gives me the push to keep going.
  • Nick061981
    Options
    melzicious - No I have not gone to bulking yet. I dont want to get massive. but I do want some more muscle with definition.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I would focus more on your program than supplements. Chances are you could make changes there that would have a greater impact than any supplement you might find.

Building muscle you'll want to be on a surplus
    Losing belly fat you'll want to be at a deficit

Pick one to focus on first.
  • kasarin
    kasarin Posts: 82
    Options
    You sound like you want to lean out. This means you want to lose fat, retain and tone the muscle you have. To do this lift and eat at a deficit. When you lose the stubborn body fat or choose to build bigger muscles you will need to eat over your daily energy expenditure.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    No problem. I think the answers are above, but to reiterate:

1. I'd set your loss to 1-1.5lbs/week (depending on how far you are from your goal),
    2. Get a good amount of protein. (I personally like a macro ratio of 40:30:30 (carb:fat:protein), but that differs on the person, and if you are just getting started I wouldn't recommend it to everyone).
    3. Strength train along with the cardio. I mainly did cardio for about 2 years, and lost some weight, but lost muscle with it. It takes a LOT of work to put that muscle back on... a healthy combination of the 2 will help you maintain a good portion of the muscle you do have.

Good luck

**EDIT - grammar/spelling mistakes. Oh, and I agree with what others have said - focus on belly-fat first, then about gaining muscle.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Nick, protein powder was intended for the body building community to add protein easily without munching down on a ton of food, that's it, no magic there. You could lift heavy for years and never get bulky, strust me it's not easy, so don't worry about that, especially considerig you want to lose belly fat, that requires a deficit. Basically just lift heavy and eat at a slight deficit, and whether you consume protein powder or not won't make any difference if your getting yourprotein from actual munchable food, actually that's preferred when in a deficit.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I want to build muscle, not get massive just want good lean muscle and I want to lose the fat on my belly. I know you cant spot burn but If I can see other changes elsewhere that gives me the push to keep going.

You can really do both at the same time (build muscle and lose fat) There are certain circumstances, but you may as well just safely say they're the exception rather than the rule. It's quicker and easier to focus on one at a time, which would you like to have first, more muscle (and a little extra fat too) or less fat, but the same muscle (you may get slightly more defined but you won't actually build any)

I never wanted to get massive either (and I didn't) I did 6 months of a calorie surplus, a good lifting routine, built some muscle, and gained some fat (to be expected). Now since January I have been focusing on losing the fat, it's going well, I am maintaining the muscle I built, and it is becoming more defined as I strip away the fat. I definitely have more muscle than before I "bulked" and it looks better than before I ate at a surplus too. Stronger too. When I reach my goal weight, I should look leaner too.
  • Nick061981
    Options
    Ok, Thank you to everyone that has replied. I will continue to burn the fat ie belly fat first and then take if from there. Im going to book another review at the gym this week and get a new routine in place for this as the old one is getting a bit stale now.