Eating on Rest Days

Options
A trend I have started to notice, especially since lifting more.....my appetite just sky-rockets on rest days!!!! anyone else?

Replies

• Melzicious
    Options
    I find that if I've been on low calories for several weeks, this can happen. So, I will eat at maintenance for a couple days, then I find it easier to go back to the lower calories. It also helps to keep you protein really high.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yep.

I'm not that fussed about it anymore, I only have 2 rests days a week, if I go a little over on those days it won't matter too much, it's probably only going to be around maintenance anyway.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    God mine does as well.....
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly. This past weekend I porked up like there was no tomorrow. No good.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    On my rest days I have MORE FREE time which is why I eat more then. It is especially bad if I don't have to work that day. So I make sure I workout on the weekends LOL
  • vickystrand1
    vickystrand1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As does mine. I was to work out today during lunch, but got tied up on a 4 hour conference call. I really am famished today. Like major hunger pains. :( Just afraid to eat over. I still think I'm eating "too low" calories, but afraid to eat too many higher.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    glad i'm not alone! posted this to stop me from becoming slave to the peanut butter jar :tongue:
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I go wayyyyyy over on rest days which are Saturday and Sunday! No guilt trip here at all!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Why not eat back your exercise calories on your rest days rather than the day before? Might solve this problem and remove any feelings of guilt!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Is it maybe because you're used to eating more on work out days (eating back exercise cals), so when you don't have extra cals to eat back you miss the extra food?
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    OMG, me too!!! then since I don't have a plan I just eat everything and anything in sight, totally messing up the hard work I have put in throughout the week..... so this makes me realize, I NEED A PLAN!!!
  • bossmodehan
    Options
    Why not eat back your exercise calories on your rest days rather than the day before? Might solve this problem and remove any feelings of guilt!

a fair point, but i really do need that extra energy (calories) on days that I work out! it's not even like i'm extra HUNGRY on rest days....food just becomes soooo much more tempting!!!

And I think that having a bit more time to eat is likely a fair contributor to this as well.
  • bossmodehan
    Options
    Is it maybe because you're used to eating more on work out days (eating back exercise cals), so when you don't have extra cals to eat back you miss the extra food?

that's a very good point!
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I try to exercise most days to avoid this as i dont have enough calories to survive without exercise cals. I cant believe i eat so much and still lose weight.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've given up on trying to eat a bit less on rest days. I just eat the same.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

That's what I find. I tend to want the same food every day, but my usual allotment leaves a few hundred calories for my workout. If I have to skip or scale back on the workout, I find I go over.

I also don't worry about it because on a normal day I'm usually a little under.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I also get really hungry on days I do weight training. I do give in and eat a little more these days, but only if I'm sure it's not water I need.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yes, I try to eat at my maintenance calories with no deficit because I would be too hungry not to. (I only have 1 rest day, sometimes 2, so it is not a big deal. My metabolism must be really supercharged now...but I'm not complaining about that! LOL
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've an idea - start eating half exercise cals on work out days, and half the next day? :D Plus you can still do light exercise on rest days, such as walking etc to earn a few extra calories (:
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is factored correctly, you should be fine eating the same amount everyday!