Weight Watchers

Options
I'm sure there are alot of you on this site using WW. Are you having success?

Replies

• Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am a former WWer now using MFP exclusively. I still follow the GHG drilled into you with WW but journaling here.

Last fall I was doing both - and comparing the programs (journals, methodology) and made the change to do this exclusively. At the end of the day it's free and it was easier to judge cals vs the Points which was a mish-mosh of NI.
  • nic237
    nic237 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having pretty good success. I lost 5 lbs the first month but the last month has been hectic and i have not followed the plan wall.
  • jp619
    jp619 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am currently using WW, having some success except for not sticking to it on the weekends. In the past I lost 20 lbs on the old WW system. Like anything else you (I) have to stick to it and put in the work.
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have done WW in the past. since they changed it yet again, I hate it. I have been on here a month and I have lost 11 pounds and that is without exercise because I have not been cleared by my chiropractor yet. Hopefully that will come Wednesday!
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am on Jenny Craig, which is in my view the same as WW.

Re Success - since it is all about portion control (calorie counting), I would say yes - I lost 30lb last year on portion control. Like anything else if you stick to it, it will work. When I went back to my old ways, some (not all) of the weight came back on. My weakness is food - so I figure that if someone proportions my food for me, I cannot go to far wrong.
  • SprinkledWithEmotion
    SprinkledWithEmotion Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am a former WWer now using MFP exclusively. I still follow the GHG drilled into you with WW but journaling here.

Last fall I was doing both - and comparing the programs (journals, methodology) and made the change to do this exclusively. At the end of the day it's free and it was easier to judge cals vs the Points which was a mish-mosh of NI.

Exactly this. I just cancelled WW today actually. I had really good success on the old WW plan but it's just to hard for me to judge points on the new one. I like counting calories better so for me MFP is a good fit.
  • Infiltrator5732
    Options
    Hi, I have had huge success with WW over the years.

I lost 16kg as a 12 year old (they let me join as my doctor advised I needed to lose weight) and have just lost about 21kg in the last year. I am feeling comfortable enough to get the last 12kg alone and through the help of this site. However, it is WW that has made me learn to make the right choices. I have found the current program the easiest ever to follow, but maybe that is just the motivation on my part? At the end of the day it's being honest with yourself and tracking all the BLTs(bites, licks and tastes) that will make the difference. We tend to eat as much as 50% more than we think we do if we don't track. This program is wonderful for tracking, but I don't think it is showing you what to eat or how to learn to make the right choices in quite the same way.

Good luck!
  • stephie4111
    stephie4111 Posts: 118
    Options
    i have been on ww for over a year I have lost 40 pounds. but i have been counting calories here not really on their site. but i still am accountable and am under my ww goal by 7 pounds
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    I left WW because they kept trying to sell me chocolate! As if having it in my face at meetings wasn't enough, I'd get texts all the time too trying to sell me their latest chocolate bars!

I also thought "points" didn't teach me anything about the food I was eating.

I did chuckle at the way everyone scoffed chocolate or crisps as soon as they had been weighed though.

I lost about 36lbs on it though and I was always starving. Put it all back on about 3 months after I quit.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I lost over 50 lbs years ago on an old WW program. I don't like the new plan. It does encourage healthier choices than the old plan, but it does so by seriously penalizing you for choosing less-healthy options even just now and again. At the end of the day, calories in vs. calories out will do the trick as long as you are adhering to some basic human science. I don't want to get dinged 7 points out of 28 because I choose a glass of wine in the evening. It's only 150 calories or so. That's brutal. Besides, then it forces me to under eat to stay in my points, but then my calories are way too low and I haven't been losing because of it.

I just shut down my current WW membership and moved to MFP to track. I think this is going to be much better.
  • Fula_luv
    Fula_luv Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a former WW member. I lost 12 pounds within 3 months. With MFP i have lost almost 20 pounds within 2 months and its way easier to track for me. I can easily track my food using calories instead of doing the extra step of calcualting the POINTS for WW. also i did a comparison and i ate more with WW since almost ALL fruits and are free points, while in the real world, fruits and veggies all have values, they do have calories. So WW was definately not for me. I can really overeat in the fruit and veggie department causinf the calories to rack up.
  • staceynewbon
    staceynewbon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I really don't like weight watchers at all . Its main aim it to loos weight only and not to change your lifestyle to improve your health . Just check the amount of salt and preservatives on the back . If anything the food is bad for you . Plus there expensive and you can eat so much better spending the money on fresh produce instead .

The groups and meetings don't bother its waste of time do some sit ups instead and save your money fOr new clothes

Good luck :-)
  • just4me46
    just4me46 Posts: 58
    Options
    I used WW a few years ago and lost 20 lbs. I do think it's easier tracking calories vs points. I'm still a little confused about eating back calories. I'm currently doing Chalene Extreme/Turbo Fire Combo. I have not seen alot of difference on the scale, but I'm getting smaller. I think that is my overall goal.

Thanks for your input.

Any of you using any of the WW recipes with this site? I have not tried the tool on the website for adding recipes to calculate the calories yet. Have you?
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I use both WW and MFP, because I think I need accountability where ever I can find it!

I find it very easy to track food/exercise with MFP and the support/encouragement I find here is better than what I find with using eTools on the WW site.

I still find tremendous benefit in going to WW. I know that their scale is calibrated and I KNOW the one I have at home is not correct! It forces me to weigh at least once a week (since I am paying for it), I get some great recipe ideas in addition to hearing other people struggle with some of the same things that I have and I can also turn around and help others through their struggles.

I also have a running buddy who holds me accountable for keeping up with the training runs we have for a half marathon this week.

If anyone on here wants to help me with my accountability, add me! MNchick
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Any of you using any of the WW recipes with this site? I have not tried the tool on the website for adding recipes to calculate the calories yet. Have you?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but if it's whether I make WW recipes either from things I gathered on their website or the cookbooks - of course. There are actually a large number of them in the MFP database. Just like with WW I eat whatever I normally eat, just portion controlled and smarter food choices.

As far as adding recipes to the MFP database or my own Journaling database - it's just as easy (if not easier) then when you use the recipe builder on WW's eTools/online.

If you wanted to take your NI from MFP and add it to your WW journal you can "print" your day here on MFP and get all the daily NI to add to your WW online journal to figure out your points for the day.