Favorite Greek Yogurt?

Options
I feel like I always see posts about greek yogurt recipes, brands, health benefits, etc but I was wondering what's your favorite and why? I tried Oikos and chobani but I feel like the 'fruit' ones taste too sweet and artificial for my liking. Thank you for your input!

Replies

• lichensandseeds
    lichensandseeds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    fage plain yogurt. buy the larger tub to save money and pack it in ziploc or glad screw-top containers (the leak proof ones) if you're bringing it to work or something. add your own fruit, a drizzle of honey, or some sunflower seeds if you want to make it a little more exciting.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I don't like any yogurt with the fruit on the bottom, with the exception of chobani apple and cinnemon. I do love the vanilla (Hannaford brand) or I get the plain and mix in some fruit and honey and cinnemon to sweeten it up. I know the flavored varieties are high in sugar, but I'm not sure that eating plain and adding honey is any better. I can't eat the plain without a sweetener though; tastes like sour cream.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    fage plain yogurt. buy the larger tub to save money and pack it in ziploc or glad screw-top containers (the leak proof ones) if you're bringing it to work or something. add your own fruit, a drizzle of honey, or some sunflower seeds if you want to make it a little more exciting.

Ditto! I love Greek yogurt for its texture and big hit of protein.

Also, watch out for some cheaper Greek yogurts like Yoplait and Dannon that are filled with thickening agents (modified corn starch and the like). Basically they add filler to make a cheap thicker yogurt product instead of straining off the whey like proper Greek style yogurt.
  • Papayamaya5
    Papayamaya5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    yes fage or chobani are my favorite! I do the nonfat plain greek yogurt with bare naked granola (that has cranberries and pumpkin seeds) such a delicious snack. you can also use it instead of sour cream!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Liberte full fat. I made curried lamb yesterday with a side of plain yogurt flavoured with lime, salt and pepper, yum
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Yoplait for sure. Raspberry is heavenly. I like the others too but yoplait greek is number 1.
  • Mandanbil
    Mandanbil Posts: 40
    Options
    I make my own, Easi Yo yoghurt, easily available in the UK, which is real easy to do just add the powder to the jar along with water, then put it in its "flask" and leave for 8 hours. The greek flavour is thick and creamy and totally yummy.
  • kjrhodes19
    Options
    Trader Joe's has some delicious greek yogurt - I love their Vanilla non-fat flavor and the Trade Joe's pomegranate flavor - I put some Kashi Go Lean Crunch in it and it is delicious!!!
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    Thanks all! I've heard so many good things about Fage. How do I tell the difference between the 'fake' greek yogurts and real natural healthy ones ingredient wise?
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Look at sugar and protein content. You can't go wrong with Fage!
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    look for a short list of ingredients (a lot of the flavored ones have chemically yucky stuff) a high protein count and if you want to be super duper healthy, no added sugar. I love some of the Chobani flavors but I don't love all the added sugar so like some others mentioned, Fage plain is a really good way to go. It's really creamy, high in protein, free of garbage. If you want to sweeten it you can at least control what you put in it and how much. I also love that our Costco has huge tubs of it for a really reasonable price!
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I've heard so many good things about Fage. How do I tell the difference between the 'fake' greek yogurts and real natural healthy ones ingredient wise?

The good stuff will say: grade A pasteurized skimmed milk, live active yogurt cultures (L. bu.... ) *END*
    The nasty stuff (yoplait for sure, not sure about dannon): corn starch, whey protien powder, arrowroot, all of these are thickeners. just buy the FAGE or Chobani.
    As a side note
    I LOVE Costco, and have never had a problem with costco brand stuff... until recently they stopped carrying the big FAGE plain 0% and now carry their own. It has the same 2 ingredients above, but somehow it isn't as good. Can't explain it.
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a lot of the fruit-flavored ones are kind of too sweet for me as well. My favorite flavored greek yogurt might be the Chobani Pineapple flavor, but I usually prefer mixing my own fruits into Fage Plain greek yogurt, or plain Stonyfield Oikos yogurt. For some reason I don't like the Chobani plain one.

As far as ingredients go, I would avoid anything that has "modified" or "high fructose corn syrup" in it- I usually see those in regular yogurts, though, not greek ones. But better safe than sorry :)
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Krema brand vanilla flavour. Not sure if it might be a Canadian or even regional brand, though. I also really like the Oikos brand. I prefer the full fat to the reduced or fat free. Both brands are available in 100 g servings which is crucial for me...I could eat a whole 750 ml tub if not careful!
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Fage is the best and I have tried every one I can get my hands on. The Kroger brand is also a great alternative.
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I buy either Dannon Oikos, Chobani, or Taste of Inspirations (Food Lion's store brand), depending on what's on sale. I've gotten where I find the fruit ones too sweet. I buy the plain, sweeten it with splenda, then add things like:
    fruit (esp. apple chunks and berries)
    cereal/ granola
    cocoa powder
    cinnamon

I've also heard of people adding jam, protein powder, and flavored syrups (like the ones you add to coffee).
  • tmac187
    tmac187 Posts: 5
    Options
    Chobani for it's taste , price and higher protein content!
  • biogirl2011
    biogirl2011 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use Chobani Plain yogurt as a substitute for sour cream. It works great for tacos, potatoes (mashed and baked), and with Lipton Soup mix (french onion). You can't even tell the difference when cooking with it vs. sour cream.

I'm not a fan of the greek flavored yogurt, so I can't be much help there...sorry.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Oikos plain. I use it instead of sour cream or I add my own fruit to it.
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Although it's made for kids, I like the Chobani Champions in VerryBerry. I like the smaller 100 calorie portions and that it is all natural. They just came out with 2 new flavors, Orange Vanilla and Vanilla Chocolate Chunk that I'm going to try.