Not losing, yet trying so hard

Options
So i've been stuck at this weight forever now. I lose, I gain, I lose, I gain.
Probably because eating 1200 is too low? Should I go for a net of 1200 in May?
Will this help me lose weight? I know you aren't studied in this, but I'm just desperate..

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    What does MFP tell you to eat when you let the program set your goals?
  • xElineeee
    xElineeee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just 1200, but that's not working it seems :( I don't know if this is a BIG plateau or anything else..
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    when mfp gives you a goal for calories, thats a NET goal, not just what you should eat
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cowgirlzride
    Options
    MFP 'I beleive' sets us MUCH to low! Go to The Mayo Clinic calorie calculator. We all know The Mayo Clinic is renowned nation wide, and truly has to have the medical/health facts to post anything. They are truly accountable. I was at ( calories) 1290 by MFP. TMClinc put me at 2000. I stayed there for a bit over a week to recover. I had been on the low caloreis for a couple months. I was growing more and more fatigued, low grade constant headaches. No motivation and trouble sleeping. After a few days of 2000 calorie (which I never quite met I don't think) I was feeling great. I now have found a good number for me @ 1650. Feeling good, motivated, sleeping well and no headaches. I feel you need to eat all your ( most of the time) goal calories and maybe half of your earned calories back. Play around and see what works for you. I think your not loosing because your caloreis are MUCH to low. Good luck and keep up your awesome commitment!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    So i've been stuck at this weight forever now. I lose, I gain, I lose, I gain.
    Probably because eating 1200 is too low? Should I go for a net of 1200 in May?
    Will this help me lose weight? I know you aren't studied in this, but I'm just desperate..

Probably, yes.
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    I went thru this problem for over a year.... I tried EVERYTHING.... Finally, when i started having other problems, I looked at my fat and carbs %.... My fat was too low, my carbs were too high.... I bumped my fat up to 30 and that automatically bumped my carbs down to 40.... now i'm losing regularly... Play with the numbers until you find what works for your body...
  • happypath101
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. MFP has me at 1200. I'm eating about 1500 a day, but working out to do so (eating back my calories). I'm getting dizzy sometimes and finding that I want to pig out on the weekends, which I didn't feel the need to do before MFP. Seriously thinking about upping my intake to 1500 without exercise and more with. But, I'm totally nervous that it will make me gain weight.
  • toomanycurves
    toomanycurves Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oh, X, I'm in exactly the same boat!:sad:
  • happypath101
    Options
    I went thru this problem for over a year.... I tried EVERYTHING.... Finally, when i started having other problems, I looked at my fat and carbs %.... My fat was too low, my carbs were too high.... I bumped my fat up to 30 and that automatically bumped my carbs down to 40.... now i'm losing regularly... Play with the numbers until you find what works for your body...

Good tip! Thanks.
  • xElineeee
    xElineeee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your answers! 'Playing with the numbers' sounds so easy but I have nonidea how to do that. I'm probably going to up my net to 1200, which I think is pretty scary!!
  • tiffpage
    tiffpage Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try that first and give it a few weeks. Change takes times with your body. If you are also lifting you may be building mucle. You should take your measurements every few weeks. I also take l-carnipine to help with fat loss. I agree with everyone else too, you shouldn't rely so much on MFP. It's better to talk to a dr or maybe Mayo.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your answers! 'Playing with the numbers' sounds so easy but I have nonidea how to do that. I'm probably going to up my net to 1200, which I think is pretty scary!!
    If it seems scary, consider the fact that some groups who actively seek to live "on the edge" of starvation to live longer eat 1200 calories.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    When my goal was 1500 I often was netting 1200. I was soo fatigued and plataued after five pounds. I set my cals to 1700 and it really helped. I am losing weight again. I added a One A Day vitamin for energy and that helped as well. I would suggest upping your cals.
  • erinm2629
    erinm2629 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i have been in the same boat for a few months. I have been trrying to have a higher day each week and changing up my exercise every other day. I have been seeing some weight loss again and hopefully you will find something that works for you too!
  • bedinky1207
    bedinky1207 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!! Weightloss can be a lot slower than the gain. If 1200 isn't working up your calories. Play around with your burn and your calories till you find something that works for your body.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Based on your ticker you dont have much to lose so you shoupd be aiming for 1/2 lb per week and aiming to eat 50-75% of your exercise calories. Also remember mfp doesnt tell you how many calories to eat, you tell it. It just does simple math. If you chose 2 lbs a week and only have 10 lbs to lose, your body will jist laugh at you.
  • dsrszs
    dsrszs Posts: 14
    Options
    I was in the same place.
    Look at what you are eating, not just the calories.

Fiber, fiber, fiber.... vegetables, beans, nuts

lean protein

calcium

some healthy fats - avocadoes, olive oil, grapeseed oil - in moderation

I adjusted my diet to make sure most of my calories were from the above. The pounds started coming off.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you have a small amount to lose, you shouldn't have your goal set to lose 2 lbs. a week. You should change it to lose .5 or 1 lb a week, and make sure you NET the calories that MFP suggests. If you're netting less than 1200 calories now, that's almost definitely your problem. Increase your calorie goal, log your exercise, and make sure to eat those calories back.