Enough with drinking water

Options
Check out this link. There is no scientific proof that you should be drinking 8 -8oz glasses of water a day.

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health-fitness/articles/family-health/rogers-macleans/enough-with-drinking-water-2009-09-01

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I think I'll stick with drinking water anyway! I also drink other things but I really feel better when I am well hydrated...my skin is clearer....just a good thing!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the article but I think I'll stick with drinking water! I also drink other things but I really feel better when I am well hydrated...my skin is clearer....just a good thing!

Ditto. :drinker: :drinker:

I :heart: my water.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i just have to say that i can honestly tell a difference between drinking water (i go for 10 cups at least) to not having any. its amazing what water does for your body.

even as a child, growing up in a town that would have 125 degree summers, i knew how important water is. i remember coming in from the heat, going to the water cooler, and drinking a big glass. i felt like i could literally feel the water cooling my body and replenishing itself.

even if there are articles saying we dont need that much water, i will never stop drinking it or use that as an excuse because water makes all the difference in the world to me.

just MO :flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I believe I'll stick with my 90oz a day, thanks very much.

If I ate as much fiber as I do now and cut my water intake by half, I'd end up struggling in the bathroom (use your imagination).

While the need for water is purely subjective and determined by your needs and your health, there is something to be said for the fact that it is a TOOL which helps people manage their weight by filling them up and therefore creating a feeling of fullness at mealtime, which cannot be duplicated any other way.
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love water it is sooooo guilt free!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I read the article, and it does have a point, that not everyone has the same requirements. It's an average. Same goes for everything else that is published to the masses. I'll also agree with listening to your body's cues (but I don't know if most people know how to listen to them). While it's true that foods and other liquids contain water and could technically count towards your daily requirement, I disagree with using anything diuretic as a replacement for water. Doesn't that basically negate the benefit you're trying to get from it? Also, who really knows how much water is in a piece of fruit? Is it a fourth of a cup? An eighth? I don't know, so I'll drink my extra 1-2 oz of water plain. The article also mentions that this applies mostly to sedantary people. If you're active at all, you'll want to increase your intake.

Basically, I see the point of the article, but for me, better safe than sorry. I'll stick with drinking my water.
  • abatres7
    Options
    There is always an article for something and against it. All that contrary info is frustrating. However water is good for you, but like all else...in moderation:drinker:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I don't think the article means you shouldn't drink water, but some people have a hard time drinking that much. I don't have that problem! I've never tracked how much I drink because I probably drink more like 16 8-oz glasses a day. I take a diuretic, so I'm always thirsty.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I agree that 8 cups is not the correct amount for everybody. But you cannot count the water in say a soda or coffee. The best way to determine the correct amount for your body is to divide your weight in half. The number you are left with is how many ounces you should drink. In addition, for every 1 cup of a caffienated beverage that you drink, you need 3 cups to replace the water that is lost.

My uncle told me about this article when I offered him a glass of ice water. He said he will stick to his coffe because water is not necessary.:indifferent: There is always an opposing view. Its important to look at both sides and educate yourself enough to make your own decisions. In my field (skin care) water is extremely important! I can tell by looking at someones skin if they are dehydrated, and most people are! They complain of dry skin or fine lines and want miracles. Heres the miracle....DRINK WATER:drinker:

Thats my two cents.
  • Demetria
    Options
    The article didn't say not to drink water but that the 8 - 8oz cups a day rule was a very generalized rule not to be taken literally even though it has been. It said more to take an individualized approach based on where you live, your lifestyle and other factors. Basically listen to your own body and learn what works for you. Which I already do.

Demetria
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'll stick with drinking my 64 ounces of water a day too. I've noticed my skin looks better since I've started drinking at least 64 ounces of water a day. I love my water. :love: It's so much better for me than the pop I used to drink. :tongue:

Betty
  • stacey76
    stacey76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have problems drinking all the water I "need" each day. I am a tea drinker and can drink it all day long, but with starting the diet I have given up my sweet tea to once a week and trying to drink water. Even with putting crystal light flavors in the water, it's still a struggle. I can normally force myself to drink about 30 ounces a day. I've heard a lot of people say they feel better with drinking water. For the last 3 1/2 months this is the most water I've drank in my life and I feel no difference. I was waiting to be able to say I felt better too, but I guess not yet...
  • Demetria
    Options
    I have problems drinking all the water I "need" each day. I am a tea drinker and can drink it all day long, but with starting the diet I have given up my sweet tea to once a week and trying to drink water. Even with putting crystal light flavors in the water, it's still a struggle. I can normally force myself to drink about 30 ounces a day. I've heard a lot of people say they feel better with drinking water. For the last 3 1/2 months this is the most water I've drank in my life and I feel no difference. I was waiting to be able to say I felt better too, but I guess not yet...

go back to the tea just use Truvia (from the stevia plant), it's a natural no calorie sweetener

Demetria
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Try drinking pure ice water with just a slice of lemon, lime, orange, strawberry, peach slice, mint leaf - something natural to flavor the water...........

And drink more than 30 oz, you will feel a big difference. Your body just feels cleaner, inside and out.

I can tell you that I no longer have a body odor issue since going to organic and all natural eating and drinking at least 100 oz of water per day.

I used to take 3 showers per day just because I felt sticky and just yuck and dirty. Since eating meats, dairy and eggs that are straight from the farm and eating local and organic fruits and veggies and drinking at least 100 oz of water a day, I feel clean, inside and out!!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

go back to the tea just use Truvia (from the stevia plant), it's a natural no calorie sweetener

Demetria

I use only Sweet Leaf Stevia and only takes a couple of drops to sweeten anything, I use less and less sweetner as I am eating most things just natural.

Truvia is not pure Stevia though. It is Stevia and Erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol.

Information on Erythritol:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5012916_dangers-of-erythritol.html
  • stacey76
    stacey76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Demetria

I use only Sweet Leaf Stevia and only takes a couple of drops to sweeten anything, I use less and less sweetner as I am eating most things just natural.

Truvia is not pure Stevia though. It is Stevia and Erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol.

Information on Erythritol:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5012916_dangers-of-erythritol.html

I'll try anything! Thanks!
  • hgirl1021
    Options
    from a nurses standpoint, sure, we might not all need the '8x8' but we DO need H2O!! its so important for helping to clear out the kidneys...