Sushi conundrum

Options
I just had one sushi roll at a restaurant and I can not find a single match for it. Nor did they have the nutritional information readily available for me...I know I have had more than the food tracked in my diary for the day, including the sushi but I have no idea what to put down for the sushi if I even -can- put it down. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Monkee8088
    Monkee8088 Posts: 143
    Options
    what did you have??
  • Armanthewolf
    Armanthewolf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It was a roll called a Lobster Bomb. It was tempura battered lobster inside with nori and masago outside drizzled with their spicy mayo.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    What sort of roll was it? Odds are you can get pretty close if you know the ingredients that went into it (a lot of sushi places give their own names to things, but by and large, it tends to be pretty similar). So if it had some kind of fish and avocado, California roll might be a good substitute. If it had something fried/tempura in it, find a roll with that just to take it into account. Same with dairy products/sauces. It doesn't have to be exact, just in the ballpark.

Edit: saw your description posted while I was typing. I found entries for a shrimp tempura roll that seems very similar (I looked up ingredients in a shrimp tempura roll once I saw it and it seems to be exactly what you're talking about except switches lobster for shrimp, which are very similar in terms of calories). I think that might be a good approximation.
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would just search sushi and find the closest item to what you had. Record that and move on, in my opinion.
  • sheschemes
    Options
    If you know the ingredients of the roll then you should be able to figure it out. You could find the nearest match, use the recipe function or put in the ingredients individually.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It was a roll called a Lobster Bomb. It was tempura battered lobster inside with nori and masago outside drizzled with their spicy mayo.
    I'd go with a tempura-ed shrimp and add the mayo.
  • Armanthewolf
    Armanthewolf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I could try that. It would be a very rough estimate as to serving sizes and what not so the margin for error would be huge.
  • sambeau5
    sambeau5 Posts: 3
    Options
    http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

This site is great for general sushi calories. I put them in as new foods on MFP when I eat a specific roll. :)

(make sure you check out the different tabs on top, it includes all the different ingredients)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

This site is great for general sushi calories. I put them in as new foods on MFP when I eat a specific roll. :)
    I HEART you for building up our sushi database!!
  • Monkee8088
    Monkee8088 Posts: 143
    Options
    i agree with going with the tempura shrimp and add mayo if it was huuuuge, just put it as 1.5 or 2 rolls. dont drive yourself nuts, and i bet it was yummy :love:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'd record a dynamite roll (tempura shrimp roll)... they usually have mayo on them, and avocado.