speghetti squash

Options
chrissyrn04
chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
What do you do with your speghetti squash? Im looking for new ideas :)

Right now I use it alot as my "pasta" if the family is having a pasta dish, I have made a veggie lasagna with it and one is currently in my oven to be mixed in with a red pepper soup I make. So yummy!

I never eat it on its own though - curious if anyone has ideas how to spice it up as just a side dish. Bone fish grill has it as a side dish but not sure what they do to it - never tried it.

Replies

• runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good prep/recipe for squash-pasta??
    Every time I've tried to make it, it's come out looking terribly, terribly wrong...
    (tasted fine, but was basically a giant lump/pile...)
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    most of the time as a side dish, I just add a little butter, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

other times I will make a mushroom and walnut sauce, mix it in and serve as a side, goes with just about any meat.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Try this:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/spaghetti-squash-lasagna.html

I've made it before...modified the recipe a smidgen...it's quite tasty!
  • chrissyrn04
    Options
    most of the time as a side dish, I just add a little butter, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

other times I will make a mushroom and walnut sauce, mix it in and serve as a side, goes with just about any meat.

that sounds YUMMY!
  • chrissyrn04
    Options
    Do you have a good prep/recipe for squash-pasta??
    Every time I've tried to make it, it's come out looking terribly, terribly wrong...
    (tasted fine, but was basically a giant lump/pile...)

Im not a fan of microwaving it so I always roast it while Im doing other food prep. I use it alot so when Im prepping my meals for the week I generally will roast 1-2 squash/week. I cut it length wise and take the seeds out (they are a ***** to cut raw) then spray my baking sheet. Put them face down, spray the actual squash and roast at 400degree until when I push on them they are semi soft to the touch... depending on how big this is between 30-50minutes. Then I just scoop out with a fork. I have found that it taste better texture wise if I sit it out on some papertowels to dry and cool off before I put it away to be used as needed.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    bumping, I love this stuff.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Since I'm a vegetarian, I roast it with BBQ sauce and eat it like pulled squash sandwiches while my family is have ribs or some other grilled meat.
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    would love some ideas as well!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Just a note regarding how to cook them. If you cut them across the middle as opposed to lenghwise, which is the way most cook them, the strands come out twice as long and resemble spaghetti more so.
  • chelseegee08
    chelseegee08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    it is great with a garlic and little bit of butter! you could also add a little parmesan cheese too if you wanted!
  • mmalires
    mmalires Posts: 1
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to prepare it is serving it with Turkey Bolognese, if you would like the recipe...please let me know.

Monica
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to mix it with cooked mushrooms, garlic and collard or turnip greens. I suppose you could use spinach, chard or kale but collards are my fave! Spray it all with some ICBINB spray, salt, pepper... Delish!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to roast it in the oven after I split it in half. After it is tender I remove the seeds and shred. Then I dice up some red bell peppers and onions and saute it in a tsp of olive oil adding half of the squash. My family loves it.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I love speghetti squash! I steam it in my veggie steamer and just put some butter, salt and pepper on it.
  • BusyBeBe
    BusyBeBe Posts: 20
    Options
    Bumping for personal use.

Monica, please share your recipe, it sounds delish!
  • BusyBeBe
    BusyBeBe Posts: 20
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to prepare it is serving it with Turkey Bolognese, if you would like the recipe...please let me know.

Monica

Yes please :)
  • coppers2002
    Options
    Great idea!!
  • Casi23
    Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I love it for breakfast! I scramble eggs with it along with some veggies - usually zucchini, spinach, garlic, & onions or if I'm short on time I'll just add the eggs, some fresh salsa and spinach. I've been known to add in some diced chicken to that mixture as well...
  • surimurphy
    surimurphy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump