question about couch 2 5k

Options
kiku76
kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
For those of you whohave done it, did you feel like you were going to die when you first started?
Today was day one off week two.I managed to do it but I felt like I was going to die waiting for the running part to end.i found myself short of breath during the running intervals and then struggling to catch my breath the entire walking interval.
Also, how do you know if you should repeat a week?

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I think it is more mind over matter. I just started week 8 today. I haven't had to repeat any weeks yet, but everyone is different. I would say that if you can't complete the running portions of a given week, then repeat. Or if you move on to the next week and find that you can't get through it, then certainly go back or stick with that week til you get it. Good luck to you.
  • kiku76
    Options
    Thanks. I'll keep pushing through it.
    I do think maybe I have been going too fast. I may slow down to more of a really light jog. I figure focus more on being able to breathe and my stamina. Once I can run for longer periods of time then I can work on going faster right?
  • onesparrowflies
    Options
    Yes, I felt like I was going to die too. Slowing down helped. If you can't do the first run of the next week, repeat the last one of the previous one another time and try it again. And yes, it is easier to work on speed after you build distance. Good luck and hang in there!
  • jmatney79
    jmatney79 Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks for asking this. I'm thinking about starting it tomorrow...tried once before and it kicked my *kitten*
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I did C25K last year, and have been running 3-4 miles a day, 4-5 days a week since then.
    Do the runs slowly. You can (and should) build up on speed later, just work on finishing the jogs now. Don't let yourself stop running an interval, even if you jog is just about as slow as a walk.
    Repeating: The only weeks I repeated were after I was sick and still felt a bit weak. Otherwise I just kept plugging away at it. If you really can't do the runs (even slowly) then you might want to repeat a week or a day.
    Oh, and when some of the days seem overwhelming before you start, don't think about it. Don't doubt yourself. Just do it.
  • kiku76
    Options
    Awesome advice! Thanks!