Juicing

Options
jr1985
jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
I just watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead a few days ago... I had thought about juicing for a while, but that was the push I needed to finally start doing it!

Does blending have the same effects of juicing? I would love to do the 60 day cleanse like they did on the show, but have several big events coming put soon, that I think I could commit to only juicing about 80% of the time. If I ate regular food once a week and juiced the rest of the time, would it counter the juicing an anyway... other than slowing down weight loss a bit? Oh and as a side note... my once a week cheats will not be super healthy... like wedding reception food.

Does anyone have any experience with Juicing/Blending?

Any recipes you care to share will also be great :)

Replies

• LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The difference is that with juicing, you discard all of the fiber. Many juice cleanses claim this is beneficial for various reasons.

Oh, and I love juicing and blended smoothies! I buy juice from a juice bar but I blend frozen berries with spinach and almond milk and some flax seed for breakfast all the time. It's pretty delicious.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I just watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead a few days ago... I had thought about juicing for a while, but that was the push I needed to finally start doing it!

Does blending have the same effects of juicing? I would love to do the 60 day cleanse like they did on the show, but have several big events coming put soon, that I think I could commit to only juicing about 80% of the time. If I ate regular food once a week and juiced the rest of the time, would it counter the juicing an anyway... other than slowing down weight loss a bit? Oh and as a side note... my once a week cheats will not be super healthy... like wedding reception food.

Does anyone have any experience with Juicing/Blending?

Any recipes you care to share will also be great :)

why not just eat a healthy diet and reduce your calories to less than you burn and lose weight the smart way? Can you follow the juice plan the rest of your life? If not, what happens when you go back to your "regular" method of eating? For most people, they gain the weight back.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Juicing is not a healthy diet. "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" is a documentary, which is pretty much just a long advertisement for the juicer that he used.

You can achieve all the same results and lose weight, and become much healthier by eating a balanced diet. An occasional juice or smoothie is a good thing, but to try and only consume juice is a terribly unhealthy idea.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    There's a big difference between blending and juicing. Blending will give you all the fiber and be filled up. Juicing allows the cellulose of the plant cell to be broken down so that the nutrients can be instantly absorbed into the bloodstream. Yet, if juicing fruits, the fresh juice can really spike blood sugar levels. I can understand doing what they called a 10 day reboot to kick off your weight loss program but you need to eventually build the habit of eating more and more raw whole fruits and vegetables. Once you form these good habits it will naturally push out the bad habits, you'll have no time or place for them.

I do a lot of smoothies with fruit and vegetables but very little juicing. I did research on the POWER of juicing but was looking for alternatives without the mess, expense or concern for herbicides/pesticides and 12 years ago I ran into a product called Juice Plus+. It is whole food nutrition, 17 Fruits & Vegetables in capsule form.
  • theredgecko
    theredgecko Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who loves adding green smoothies to her diet as a breakfast, but she eats solid food the rest of the day. I have also seen the movie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and found it fascinating.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input... I'm actually 'blending' instead of juicing... and wondered if it should get about the same results in the long run? after about a month or two of just eating blended foods about 80% of the time, I'm hoping to switch to just eating one balanced meal a day and just juicing the rest of the time.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input... I'm actually 'blending' instead of juicing... and wondered if it should get about the same results in the long run? after about a month or two of just eating blended foods about 80% of the time, I'm hoping to switch to just eating one balanced meal a day and just juicing the rest of the time.

bleagh, why? Sounds pretty sadistic. Or, I guess since it's to yourself, masochistic. I enjoy food way too much for that type of thing. You can feed yourself through a stomach tube or IV also but again, why? That mindset is just way too foreign for me.
  • tmac187
    tmac187 Posts: 5
    Options
    I incorporated juicing along with a healthy diet for a while, but honestly, and maybe it was just my juicer, but cleaning that thing everyday sucked!! Seriously took about 15minutes to get it clean every time, so i gave up after a few weeks. Now, I just use my magic bullet and make smoothies...much easier.