Comfort food makeovers - ideas/websites please!

Options
saraann4
saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
Any body have any comfort food makeover recipes that are low cal? Recipes & websites please!!

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    You could check out skinnytaste.com
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You could check out skinnytaste.com

I've went to that one. I have a few recipes that I want to try, but they aren't meals. They are sides or snacks.
  • marinamoreno
    Options
    BUMP
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    How about Not My Mama's Meals? It is one of Paula Deen's sons who makes healthier versions of his mother's recipes.
    http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/not-my-mamas-meals/index.html
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    skinnykitchen.com, thegraciouspantry.com, cookingquinoa.com cleaneatingmag.com

Applesauce chicken

put chicken breasts in a crockpot, add 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce, 1 yellow onion chopped finely, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 2 cloves garlic finely chopped, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes.Cook on low about 8 hours. I usually serve with sweet potatoes

Shredded Mexican Chicken

chicken breasts in crock pot, 2 cups chicken broth or stock, 1 cup water, 2 tsp taco or fajita seasoning, 1 cup peppers, tomatoes, corn or beans, your choice. Cook in crock pot on low about 8 hours.I usually serve with brown rice
  • tbonnz110
    tbonnz110 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl.com , there is also a show Hungry girl on the food network!
  • curliefrii
    curliefrii Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • viser_haut
    viser_haut Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    chocolatecoveredkatie.com? She usually provides sugar free versions of gorgeous desserts etc :love:
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    There are really easy ways to inject a little health into your favorite foods.

1. Cut the breading. I love eggplant parmesan, but traditionally the eggplant is fried and breaded. I make a version that uses eggplant, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and just a drizzle of olive oil. Cuts the fat and the carbs, and is still delicious.

2. Sautee or bake, don't fry. If something calls for frying, try to sautee it in a little bit of olive oil or throw it in the oven instead.

3. Steam and season. Vegetables are much healthier when not coated in cheeses and sauces. Many can be steamed or even roasted and then lightly seasoned (watch out for salt, though!).

4. Sub out red meat for a lean protein or vegetarian alternative. You can cut cholesterol and fat while still getting enough protein.

5. Supplement with produce. If you find yourself shaving too much off of your favorite meals and now it seems like not enough, make a large garden salad or have fruit afterwards to fill up your stomach without filling up on the bad stuff.

Hope that helps!
  • hollieepps
    hollieepps Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    www.bbcgoodfood.com

they have a healthy tab where you can see different options ie 200 calorie snacks, 400 calorie meals, or makeover meals. have used a few of their recpies too and they come out really well and arent stupidly small either :)
  • rehtaeh78
    rehtaeh78 Posts: 90
    Options
    Bump