not to be repetitive, but NEW and EXCITED!

Options
Hello All,

I wanted to introduce myself because I reallly feel that more support will mean more success.

I am 25 years old with about 50-60 lbs to lose. I have never been a small person, but I really gained a lot of weight during college. I have been attempting to eat healthy on and off for about 2 years now, and this time I really just want it to stick!

My New Year's Resolution this year was to run a Half Marathon (13.1) by the end of the year. Since then, I have run two 5k's, but I am still not "into" running. I do it, but I don't enjoy it. Because of this, I am going to start doing Turbo Fire (Beachbody) tomorrow. I am hoping that a round of this will a)help with weightloss b)improve cardio range to be better at running. I can't wait to start it and would love to hear about any success stories you have with it!

There are a couple things that consistently hold me up in my weightloss efforts:
1. My skinny boyfriend who loves red meat, fatty food, and never gains a pound. I know it's a lame excuse, but it's hard to eat a salad when he is eating a steak. He has been wonderful about eating more fish and chicken with me to help, but it is still hard to resist when he has cravings.
2. My commute.. I drive an hour to work each way. I leave the house at 6 AM and get home at 5:30 PM if I don't have to stop anywhere along the way. This makes working out in the AM a non option in my book. (I know, I know, but I can't justify getting up before 5 AM) It's just a long day, and sometimes I am sleepy :)
3. I LOVE FOOD. I love to cook. I love food network. I love recipes. Grocery stores. Having people over for dinner. Trying new restaurants. I will never commit to a diet that requires me to eat the same way everyday. I like to cook too much and LOVE trying new things.

I realize that the above might make me sound very negative. However, even just getting them written down helped ME see that all of those obstacles are easy to overcome. YAY. I can do this. I'm excited. Can't wait to team up and support each other.

Replies

• SlimBananas
    SlimBananas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Welcome! this is a great place to find friends and support. feel free to add me.
  • Jenkidd2012
    Options
    Yaay! Welcome to MFP! I too joined not too long ago, I know how you feel. :) Feel free to add me if you want! -Jen
  • blissmanifesto
    Options
    Between your boyfriend who loves red meat and your own love of food, you might enjoy the Primal diet. Check it out at the Mark's Daily Apple website. I follow the Paleo lifestyle myself, which is similar to the Primal lifestyle.

But honestly, whatever diet you settle on, you should never have to eat the same thing all the time. You just need to apply your own creativity to the situation. I myself am not a big fan of salads, especially in winter. So instead I cook lots of veggies like brussels sprouts and kabocha squash and swiss chard, and I always have them in the fridge, ready to eat whenever I am hungry. And like your boyfriend, I'm a big carnivore so I always have meat ready to eat as well. I try new recipes all the time and it is a great source of joy. So don't settle for a boring diet! There is no reason you can't lose weight AND enjoy tasty food at the same time.