5k to 8k question

Options
I found an 8k at the end of summer that I'm interested in running - it benefits an organization that I actually care about. I have nearly four full months to train for it, but I can only run twice a week with my workouts for my other sport (dragon boating). Is it possible?

I run a 12 minute mile comfortably and do a 5k without undue misery in 45 minutes right now. I need to be able to finish 8k in less than 65 minutes to register.

Replies

• jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I found an 8k at the end of summer that I'm interested in running - it benefits an organization that I actually care about. I have nearly four full months to train for it, but I can only run twice a week with my workouts for my other sport (dragon boating). Is it possible?

I run a 12 minute mile comfortably and do a 5k without undue misery in 45 minutes right now. I need to be able to finish 8k in less than 65 minutes to register.

Absolutely! A 5k is 3.2 miles and an 8k is almost 5 miles on the dot, so you're adding less than 2 miles in 4 months, and if you kept the pace you have NOW you'd be able to complete it in time! You can absolutely do that! Just try to add in some sprints or speed work when you do your runs, and if you stick with it in no time you'll be able to do that 8k in less time than you can do a 5k now!
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Yea, there shouldn't be a problem with the increase.
  • onesparrowflies
    Options
    Great! Thanks! I'll get on that.