Protein shakes...?

Options

Replies

• sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    my fav is EAS. 110 cals and 17 grams of protein. I love the strawberry. They are pretty small. I use them more as a snack so I get in all the protein I need for the day.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • serenetranquility
    serenetranquility Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Biochem is great. I would strongly urge everyone to stay away from muscle milk...lots of heavy metals and arsenic in it.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Trutein, XF 2.0, Myofusion in that order
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    http://www.si03.com/reg_index.htm

I like the vanilla torte and the double stuffed :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I do Body by Vi....tastes a heck of alot better and it has a tri-sorb protein that is patented. Its absorbs better than other proteins :) www.teamwithresults.com

There is abolutely nothing to sustantiate the absorbtion claim. And also, it is contrary to MFP policy to try to sell your product on this site.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I use Kaizen 100%Whey Isolate, Decadent Chocolate. It comes in vanilla too. I mix it with almond milk and peanut butter, or frozen fruit.

It's awesome! I get it at Costco here in Canada. 4.4lbs for $45. Per serving: 150 calories, 0.5g fat, 1g carb, 35g protein.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I swear by Nectar Sweets by Syntrax... the chocolate truffle and vanilla bean torte are AMAZING. I mix one scoop with 8 ounces of water and 8 ounces of unsweetened almond milk - only 135 calories, 25 grams of protein, and a while lot of yumminess!
  • Mommagoose4
    Mommagoose4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein -- Leanfit Costco Brand - very affordable & tastes good.
    It's what I use!
    And I am a 31 yr old female & honestly I enjoy my shakes.
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I found some pretty tasty recipes on www.dashingdish.com. If you look under her shake recipes you'll find some really good ones. I use vanilla and chocolate whey protein and in her recipes she uses 1/2 cup cottage cheese blended in them, you get that much more protein and you can't taste it AT ALL!! It makes the thicker consistency of the shake. I would give some of those a try. Another one I love is with banana, blueberries and peanut butter. Super good!!
  • Jules_1111
    Jules_1111 Posts: 79
    Options
    I use Body fortress's chocolate whey protein. It tastes very very good. Specially if you mix it with like 1% milk. Its fairly cheap too (I bought it for like $15 at my local grocery store) and has 26g per scoop

This! I love this brand. :) Sometimes I use the chocolate powder and throw in a spoonfull of pb. Its like a chocolate peanut butter cup. :)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see what other folks like...I liked EAS whey (both choc & vanilla tasted great), then Sam's stopped selling it.

Switched to Optimum Nutrition whey & liked the choc, vanilla ice cream was ok; didn't like it as much as EAS though. Plus ON is way more expensive. I tried a sample of the strawberry ON & liked that a lot, when I run out that will probably be my next buy. When blended with milk & some ice it tastes a lot like McD's strawberry shakes (which I've always liked).

Currently using Myofusion & not crazy about the choc or vanilla though it's tolerable. I find it much sweeter than the ON. All 3 brands have 25ish g of protein per serving & are pretty low carb.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I need to read this thread a ittle later.
  • karenk55
    karenk55 Posts: 1
    Options
    I get mine at Costco. They are 30g of protein and they taste great. Come in chocolate or vanilla.
  • Lost_Mermaid
    Lost_Mermaid Posts: 136
    Options
    I use Body fortress's chocolate whey protein. It tastes very very good. Specially if you mix it with like 1% milk. Its fairly cheap too (I bought it for like $15 at my local grocery store) and has 26g per scoop

I use this too and it is surprisingly tasty...it's easier to stay away from all the bad chocolate now since I can look forward to my chocolately protein shake :)
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I work as a physical therapist for the Army, so I get questions on protein and supplement use quite a bit... especially now that we're in a "draw down" and they are actually enforcing the height / weight requirements ;-)

We had an inservice by one of our a nutritionists the other day.

She recommended looking for a supplement with fewer ingredients rather than more (similar to thinking re: processed food, I guess) with whey, casein or egg proteins. She noted that soy is fine if you're allergic to the others but there are some possible hormone side effects with high soy levels in women.

One of the examples that she listed for protein supplementation was powdered non-fat milk. It's a little carb heavy at 18 g carbs to 12 g protein, but I imagine the flavor would blend with whatever you mixed it with and it's relatively cheap compared to protein powder. Why you wouldn't just use regular skim milk, I'm not sure.

She also recommended getting a product that's certified by an independent testing agency for content purity.

The five resources she listed were:

http://www.nsf.org/consumer/newsroom/fact_abs.asp

http://humanperforanceresourcecenter.org

http://natrualdatabase.therapeuticresearch.com

http://www.consumerlab.com

http://www.vitamincouncil.org

I don't know that they all have info re: protein powder specifically b/c she also talked about other supplements and this was just a general "resources" slide.

Obviously, I'm giving this info second hand (from her presentation handouts) and I don't mean it to be medical advice, but maybe some good resources for what IN your protein supplement.

I know, I didn't answer the question about how they taste, but that's because I'm still in the research phase myself, so I haven't tried any!

Good luck in your search :-)
    Jen
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I buy Cytosport 100% Whey, 27g protein per serving. Good price but tastes a bit too sweet for me,I buy the vanilla flavor. But when I mix it with strong coffee, unsweetened natural cocoa powder and ice it is actually pretty good. Just like an ice coffee drink.

The Breakdown:
    27g protein
    6g bcaas
    4.7g L-Glutamine and Glutamine precusors
    3g carbs
    2.4g fat
    140 calories
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    We use pure protein from wally world. Inexpensive good protein and vanilla goes with anything. We buy fruit on sale dice it up and ffreeze it then mix it with 35cal almond milk and fruit, or frozen coffee ice cubes with dark chocolate almond milk.
  • Tlove1111
    Tlove1111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Body fortress sounds pretty good!
    I definately want to go with "whey protein"

Has anyone tried shakeology from beachbody? Think it might be more of a meal replacement though, not sure?