Finals.. and food..

Options
Now that it's that time of the semester I'll be locked up in the library trying to get everything done and won't be having much, if any, time to get to the gym for my normal workout. I'm assuming this means I need to be extra diligent about what I'm eating. Does anyone have any suggestions of food that will keep me full and energized? I definitely need some snack ideas and some ideas for easy, quick meals I can take with me. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Here is some stuff I've been making in the morning and bringing with me when I work in the library all day/night. It's more or less fine at room temp and easy to portion into tupperware or baggies.

Baked sweet potato with Greek yogurt.
    Tuna and crackers.
    Peanut butter and apple slices.
    Veggie stir fry with some rice.
    Soup in a thermos.
  • sld_12
    sld_12 Posts: 11
    Options
    Oo.. those sound great! Thanks:)
  • Abigaillee15
    Options
    Popcorn and pretzels are good study foods. I tend to eat a lot when I'm studying, and with pretzels and popcorn I can feel like I'm eating a lot and still not go too far over calories.
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    How about avocado slices wrapped in swiss cheese and turkey slices? You can make a few to put in a baggie...easy to eat and healthy! They can be your protein complement to the other snacks suggested. Hummus with any veggies is also a great idea. I love the idea of soup in a thermos!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Bananas are always good, biased = my favorite fruit

nuts of any kind

protein shakes if you're on the go

eggs for a quick/protein filled breakfast

for lunch keep sliced turkey and i love pepperjack cheese with it

plenty of water as well
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Pepper jack cheese and grapes!

Does the body good and you can never go wrong!

Also apples or bananas and peanut butter!
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    This is great as I have many of pals who need to read this thread....:flowerforyou:
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    right now im taking these items to school with me. i find they keep me really full and focused.

nutri grain apple cinnamon bars (3 grams fiber 120 calories and tastes like pie to me)
    progresso tomato basil soup (7 grams fiber and 100 calories)
    apple sauce with ground cinnamon (229 calories and 4 g fiber)
    yogurt (greek or regular)
    some fruit like a banana apple etc.
    i would buy a lot of other things, like fresh strawberries or salads but I'm also really poor. and i like things that i can eat, and read/study while eating.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Pitta breads are my library staples. I just stuff them with houmous, egg, cottage cheese, leftover beans/lentils/vegetables.
    And raw vegetables like carrot and cucmber sticks.
    And nuts.
    And a small bar of 85% chocolate (I break it into pretty small pieces like choc chips - last me for ages)

I spend a lot of my days in the library now, and these things work to keep me going

When I used to study with one hand in a pack of sweets or biscuits, yes it was comforting and in some ways distracted from study stress, it also sent attention spiralling way off! so i think that by making good food choices while studying keeps me on track with work just as much as it does my health!

Good luck with your studies, guys :flowerforyou:
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Peanut-butter-covered whole wheat pita wrapped around a banana. A great meal substitute.
  • meadowmail77
    meadowmail77 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Almonds help me when I'm studying! I buy the little 100 cal packs of them or otherwise I'll over eat them. Also greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom is another fav of mine :)
  • THINandFABULOUS
    Options
    Prepackage everything!!!!! I understand that you're going to be in the library for long hours (me too!!) but just because you're going to be there for a long time does NOT mean that you need to bring a WHOLE box of cheezits, cereal or anything else with you. lol. You just need enough snacks or food to keep your glucose levels high enough for you to stay focused and concentrate. So with that said, I would recommend measuring our your snacks and packaging them into little baggies- snack or sandwich sized. Perhaps timing out your snacks and breaks would work too. Like.. study for two hours, take a15 minute break to recharge and eat.. And then study again for another 2 hours and then take a 15 minute break.

Some of my favorite snacks are baby carrots with hummus, nuts (almonds, cashews), celery with peanut butter, crackers and cheese, and fruit. Pick healthy choices! I also love chewing on gum to keep me from falling over into my books. lol.

Other than that, GOOD LUCK WITH FINALSSS!!! :D:D
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    These are great suggestions! I finished finals a week ago, but I can't wait to try some of these ideas to bring to work during the summer.

Good luck to everyone, you're almost free! :)
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    When I'm studying I tend to cut up a few apples pears and oranges to put in a bowl and then its easy to pick at with one hand while you work with the other. Grapes are also good for that. My problem is I normally go for other things you can pick at one-handed, like crisps!
  • sld_12
    sld_12 Posts: 11
    Options
    This is all very helpful!