Breathing help! (Holy cow, I didn't die!)

Options
Okay, so I ran today for the first time since maybe high school!!!!!!!!!! I went for my regular 2 mile walk and walked 2 minutes, ran 1 minute, etc.

I must have looked hilarious. I was huffing and puffing and wheezing and probably looked like I was having a heart attack.

Is there any trick to breathing while running? I was trying to take as big of breaths as I could. Maybe it just takes time before I don't sound like I'm gasping?

I am so happy for me! Should I try to run every day now, or run every other day and walk on the off days?

Okay, for all of you that run more than 1 minute before dying, try not to make fun. :wink:

Replies

• abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I ran today for the first time since maybe high school!!!!!!!!!! I went for my regular 2 mile walk and walked 2 minutes, ran 1 minute, etc.

I must have looked hilarious. I was huffing and puffing and wheezing and probably looked like I was having a heart attack.

Is there any trick to breathing while running? I was trying to take as big of breaths as I could. Maybe it just takes time before I don't sound like I'm gasping?

I am so happy for me! Should I try to run every day now, or run every other day and walk on the off days?

Okay, for all of you that run more than 1 minute before dying, try not to make fun. :wink:
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I try to breathe in 3 steps, out 3 steps ( 2 for each when i get REALLY tired). It helps keep me from gasping and looking/sounding/feeling like i am about to die.

Good luck working out!
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i always just try to keep my breathing regular and as even as possible. idk if that helps, but it always makes it better for me. also, by focusing on keeping my breathing regular, i am not focusing on how far i've run, how long i've run, how long i have left, etc. lol.
  • ladydi
    ladydi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That is so crazy I just went through the same thing last night!!!!:tongue: What I did was try to not think about it so much and take deep breaths in a deep breath out. What I started to do was walk 2 min & run 1. Everytime I do cardio!! I heard that interval traing like that speeds up weight lost.Eventually I want to be able to run without stopping but I have to work up to that!!! Hopes this helps!!!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I started that way about a month ago. Now I'm up to running 5 minutes, walking 5 minutes, repeat. As far as breathing goes, try to breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. Not sure where you're from, but down here in the desert, it saves my throat from drying out while I'm huffing and puffing along. Concentrating on that helps pass the time so I'm not obsessing over how long I've been at it, etc.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    LEARN TO BREATHE PROPERLY ON A RUN
    Breathing is a very natural activity--and so is getting out of breath when you run.
    By Hal Higdon

PUBLISHED 08/28/2001

When you run, you get out of breath. This is normal. This is natural. Your body runs on oxygen, just as your automobile runs on gasoline. When you start to exercise--whether running, walking or any other physical activity--your muscles need more oxygen. The body meets this need by supplying oxygen-rich blood to the muscles. The lungs work harder to absorb this oxygen out of the air.

You get out of breath.

Without giving it much conscious thought, most runners breathe in a 2/2 rhythmic ratio. They take two steps as they inhale; they take two more steps as they exhale. While running very slowly, they often breathe in a 3/3 ratio. While running very fast, they might breathe 2/1, or 1/1, but 2/2 is much more common.

If you count breaths in and out and discover you are breathing with a different rhythm, don't worry about it. Adjusting your breathing pattern will not make you a better runner.

The same with whether you breathe through your nose or your mouth. Most runners naturally breathe through both. Famed New Zealand coach Arthur Lydiard, when asked how runners should breathe, once replied: "Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears, if you can."

Your jaw should be relaxed, your mouth slightly open. The oxygen will come through your nose and mouth to your lungs, to your blood and to your muscles without you needing to give it a lot of thought. Breathing is a very natural activity--and so is getting out of breath when you run.

Here are a few more articles:
    http://find.runnersworld.com/vignette/rw/searchresult.jsp

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Good job on the running!!! I'm thinking of adding some other activities besides just my aerobic workouts, I am getting sooo bored. Running and cycling seem like a good choice, but I also get out of breath really easily. Maybe it'll be easier now since I've quit smoking, gotta try it out at least!!
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    Sounds like your talking about me! My husband and I had to run from the car in the parking lot into Home Depot, because it was storming raining and by the time I got in.....I was like......hey, I'm not even panting. I'm actually alive!
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    No that is awesome! That is one thing that makes me want to loose weight! It's been 10+ years since i've "ran".... I know if i took 3 steps running i'd be huffing and puffing too! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! But sorry, don't have any advice on breathing- but I will be checking back because i k now sooner than later im going to want to start RUNNING!!!!! :smile:
  • abbychelle07
    Options
    I had a headache ALL day after I ran... :cry: I realized that happens to me a lot after I exercise strenuously. It's not because of water though, I had 3 glasses before, and 3 glass afterwards! It's really annoying though. I hope it doesn't happen every time. I tried a sweet snack too, and that didn't help either...why is that?

Thanks for the encouragement and advice! When I got back from the 2 mile walk/run, I actually laid down on the floor for a few minutes huffing and puffing. I would have collapsed in the yard if I thought no one would see, ha, ha!
  • alimassa
    alimassa Posts: 275
    Options
    CONGRATS!!! Everyone needs to start somewhere and it gets easier...just keep working! Also, I got the Nike+ system a few months ago for my IPod and love it. There are some great training methods on the website you can use too...from beginners to serious training. Walk for a minute, run for a minute...great music along the way. I dont know about you, but I work better with a good sound track cheering me on.

Good luck....keep up the good HARD work....btw, that was a great article on breathing that was posted. Great info for everyone!!

:drinker:
  • Mary24
    Mary24 Posts: 398
    Options
    For the first time today i could run for 2 min strate, for me it helps a lot to have a peace of strong mint gum in my mouth, it keeps my mouth wet and the mint sooths my throut.

hope that helps it makes my breathing easyer:smile:

Mary:happy:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Hi abbie, and everyone else who is having these issues. First let me say gratz! it's so great that you are taking this on.
    so I'll address your issues if you like since I know them intimately. These are both (the breathing and the headaches) symptoms of pushing beyond your physical level, and depending on how badly it feels you can mitigate it a lot. Basically, when I was in college, for a week of football and later rugby practice at the beginning of the season, this would happen to every member of the team. First, HM gave a great article on the breathing, it's important to keep a rhythmic pattern when breathing I do 3 steps in 2 out but when I start to become winded I do 2 and 1.
    As to your headache, it's probably a very mild version of heat exhaustion, I assume you feel overheated right after the run along with these other symptoms, that's ok, the easiest way to combat this is to drop the run down by about 10 to 15 seconds and keep it there until this symptom completely goes away after the routine. When you no longer feel this way after your routine, bump it back up by 5 to 10 seconds, continue evaluating how you feel after your routine to see if you can raise the level. You'll probably notice (if you do this routine 3 times a week or more) every 2 to 3 weeks you can up your seconds running without much discomfort. It will take a few months to get to completely running, but it will happen. You can also slow down the run speed as well if you like, but dropping the amount of run time will be more effective.
    To releive the headache, get a cold, damp cloth and place it around your neck, this will cool the blood and send it to all parts of the body. It should cool you down in about 10 to 15 minutes.
    If these don't make a dent, then something else is going on and you should probably speak to a doctor and get a fitness test done to see what the issue is. It may be something medical.
  • abbychelle07
    Options
    Hi abbie, and everyone else who is having these issues. First let me say gratz! it's so great that you are taking this on.
    so I'll address your issues if you like since I know them intimately. These are both (the breathing and the headaches) symptoms of pushing beyond your physical level, and depending on how badly it feels you can mitigate it a lot. Basically, when I was in college, for a week of football and later rugby practice at the beginning of the season, this would happen to every member of the team. First, HM gave a great article on the breathing, it's important to keep a rhythmic pattern when breathing I do 3 steps in 2 out but when I start to become winded I do 2 and 1.
    As to your headache, it's probably a very mild version of heat exhaustion, I assume you feel overheated right after the run along with these other symptoms, that's ok, the easiest way to combat this is to drop the run down by about 10 to 15 seconds and keep it there until this symptom completely goes away after the routine. When you no longer feel this way after your routine, bump it back up by 5 to 10 seconds, continue evaluating how you feel after your routine to see if you can raise the level. You'll probably notice (if you do this routine 3 times a week or more) every 2 to 3 weeks you can up your seconds running without much discomfort. It will take a few months to get to completely running, but it will happen. You can also slow down the run speed as well if you like, but dropping the amount of run time will be more effective.
    To releive the headache, get a cold, damp cloth and place it around your neck, this will cool the blood and send it to all parts of the body. It should cool you down in about 10 to 15 minutes.
    If these don't make a dent, then something else is going on and you should probably speak to a doctor and get a fitness test done to see what the issue is. It may be something medical.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give your advice! I bet it was a little heat exhaustion. I was sweating and my face was really red when I got home. There is nothing wrong with that in general, but since I usually don't push my body like that I need to adjust. I agree that I will run for maybe 30-45 seconds at a time and work up from there. I am planning on running/walking every other day, and just walking on the off days. Thanks for the breathing advice too. I will try to breathe more regularly, but at first I might have to pant and huff and puff. :blushing:

I am pretty pumped. I bought some running shoes today! I already have a small MP3 player. I don't think I could even try to run without some fast music.
  • abbychelle07
    Options
    Try No. 2---One problem down, one to go!!!!!

I walked 2 min, 15 sec, and ran for 45 sec. for two miles total.

I was much better at my breathing this time. I tried to breathe in for 3 strides, out for 2. The 45 seconds really helped that. 1 min was too long before to keep my breath steady.

Unfortunately, I STILL had a headache for the rest of the day. Thankfully, I went out right before dinner, so I only had to deal with the headache for 3 hours before I went to bed.

Thanks for all of your advice, I definitely want to keep this up, although without a headache would be better!
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    When I started running I would be wheezing and coughing for a long time afterward. I saw my doctor he diagnosed me with exercise induced asthma. I now have an inhaler. I am supposed to do it 1/2 hour before exercise. Usually though I just start running and take it when I start to get wheezy. It depends on the weather as to if it bothers be or not.
    PS I also had a headache.

Now on a good weather day I can run 2 miles without stopping. On bad days I usually stop 2-3 times.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Try No. 2---One problem down, one to go!!!!!

I walked 2 min, 15 sec, and ran for 45 sec. for two miles total.

I was much better at my breathing this time. I tried to breathe in for 3 strides, out for 2. The 45 seconds really helped that. 1 min was too long before to keep my breath steady.

Unfortunately, I STILL had a headache for the rest of the day. Thankfully, I went out right before dinner, so I only had to deal with the headache for 3 hours before I went to bed.

Thanks for all of your advice, I definitely want to keep this up, although without a headache would be better!

Did you put the cool towel on your neck. the headache is probably a function of overheating, a cool towel around your corroded artery (spelling?) can cool the blood. You can even wrap some ice in a towel and put it on your neck if you like, either should be a huge help.
  • abbychelle07
    Options
    Did you put the cool towel on your neck. the headache is probably a function of overheating, a cool towel around your corroded artery (spelling?) can cool the blood. You can even wrap some ice in a towel and put it on your neck if you like, either should be a huge help.

Oh, I forgot that advice. I will try it tomorrow, since I am trying to run/walk every other day so I'm just walking today.

I'll let you know how that works out, thanks for reminding me!