protein powder advice

Options
So I bought some 100% Whey Protein Powder today and my boyfriend doesn't know why I got it. I've been working out and everything and feel it would be a good supplement. He asked me if I even know what its for. He said its for building mass for muscle and I told him that I want more muscle. He said that I wont burn enough calories for it to even work. Is that right? I'm not sure. I decided to drink it tonight just to see what it tastes like and he said "You know you're supposed to drink that after you workout, right?" Well, duh. Anyway, any advice on this?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's a cheap and simple way to add protein to your diet. Nothing more, nothing less. If numbers in your food diary are working out, then you're doing right.
  • veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i'm thinking he doesn't know exactly what he's talking about.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Lots of people benefit from a hit of protein after they work out and whey protein can be as good as any, I suppose. Personally, and I don't know if I was using the wrong protein or not working out enough or what, but I felt like it stalled my weight loss. The thing about those powders is they can also have a lot of junk to try and make them taste good, and I am not sure it's always the best stuff if you're watching what you eat. I switched to a vegan brand and I like it a lot better.
  • patricknsmith
    patricknsmith Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think your bf needs to get over himself and learn something.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's a cheap and simple way to add protein to your diet. Nothing more, nothing less. If numbers in your food diary are working out, then you're doing right.

Exactly this. I drink a protein shake (with some added ingredients) as a breakfast shake in the morning. Quick and easy, and the protein keeps me full until lunch time.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to him, every time you work out your tear muscle fibers, and when they rebuild they are stronger. Protein aids this process, thats why lifters love the stuff, but its great for everyone! Get your protein in gurl!
  • Mogwai1985
    Mogwai1985 Posts: 31
    Options
    Protein Powder is a wonderful addition to a diet plan. Its perfect after you workout because your bodycraves 3 things (protei, carbohydrates and simple sugar) but it's also good as a snack in between your bigger meals. I am using a brand called SYNTHA-6. I love it! My flavor is cookies and cream. This powder has a good protein to carbohydrate ratio.
  • Warbird007
    Warbird007 Posts: 6
    Options
    Yeah, i'm thinking he doesn't know exactly what he's talking about.

Your instincts are 100% spot on!

Adding a protein supplement to your diet is good for muscle development and recovery, typically used after a workout. However I use a protein supplement before on leg days because my body cannot seem to keep enough energy from my meals alone, then I take a protein shake after the workout is complete.
  • veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Lots of people benefit from a hit of protein after they work out and whey protein can be as good as any, I suppose. Personally, and I don't know if I was using the wrong protein or not working out enough or what, but I felt like it stalled my weight loss. The thing about those powders is they can also have a lot of junk to try and make them taste good, and I am not sure it's always the best stuff if you're watching what you eat. I switched to a vegan brand and I like it a lot better.

What brand do you use. I am not a fan of the current one I am using.
  • kirstyjames76
    kirstyjames76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't take advice from your boyfriend - he doesn't know what he is talking about ;)

The below info that I found on the internet will explain better than I can but protein powders for women (particularly those women doing weight training exercises) are very beneficial to weight loss and assist in building lean well toned muscle (getting rid of the flab)....

For most women, the goal of health and fitness is not to bulk up, but to create a sculptured, lean muscle structure. It stands to reason, then, that protein supplements for women differ to those created for men. Taking a supplement that is tailored to female needs can lead to the results you’re after. Protein contains amino acids, the building blocks that are essential for the creation of muscle tissue. Because each workout tears down muscle tissue in order to build it back up again, protein is essential for a faster recovery and healthier muscle tissue. It’s not just good for muscles - our body also uses protein for the creation of hair, nails, skin and other tissue. Because men and women have very different needs physically, it’s important that women consider protein supplements specifically designed for them if they choose to add supplementation to their daily routine. Firstly, this is because women’s protein powders contain less protein per serving than supplements for men. Further to this ladies protein supplements also have the important benefit of tailoring Vitamin and mineral levels to the needs of women, often including vital Vitamins for women’s health, such as B6, folic acid and iron.

Protein reduces the GI Levels of a meal, balances energy levels and can help reduce hunger cravings, assisting in your weight loss efforts.

A well designed protein powder for women will be iron enriched and help create lean muscle tissue without the bulk. Usually, these products also include primary amino acids that the body needs which will help keep the metabolism revved throughout the day. When choosing a protein powder for women, check out the total calorie count on the pack. Women don’t require as many calories as men so around 90-130 calories per drink is fine. Also, assess the carbohydrate content of the powder you’re looking at. Ideally, it should be around 5 grams or less which will ensure that it’s almost 100% protein. The third thing to look for when choosing a protein powder for women is additional ingredients like vitamin supplements, sweeteners and flavour enhancers – the less artificial additives the better!

Protein powders are best taken first thing in the morning, after a resistance workout or last thing at night. This increases protein in the system at crucial junctures when it is most needed by the body.

Finally, work out whether you want whey, egg or soy as the basis for your protein powder. Whey tends to be the most popular and will also have the added benefit of giving a dose of calcium as well.

Ladies protein powders are not a sole source of nutrition and should be used in conjunction with an appropriate physical training or exercise programme.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    burn calories for it to work?? I have no clue what he means by that. Protein powder is a supplement for protein which could be found in you diet naturally. Protein shakes are taken post workout because it kick starts recovery and is immediately delivered to muscles. Essentially you can take protein supplements whenever you like, there is no rule.

Just make sure you need the extra protein in your diet, if you don't it's not necessary to take.

As for this gain muscle. Protein doesn't build muscle, protein repairs muscle. By working out and lifting weight you are putting strain on your muscles and causing micro tears (that burn feeling). Post workout your body begins healing (why people take protein). Over time your body, through protein (not necessarily powder), repairs the tears and the muscles grows and develops.

I would research protein needs. It really does vary on the person. For you I would suggest you need .5g of protein per pound on you.

This article is from Men's health (I know you are not a man, but it still provides good info):

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/guide-to-protein/recommended-protein-intake.php
  • Pebbles598
    Pebbles598 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents! Whey protein Mixed with 8oz of water is supposed to be a good detoxifier. It's a natural fat burner and it improves insulin levels so of course this makes whey great for helping to lose excess pounds.Whey also has the highest levels of branched-chain amino acids (BCAA's) of any protein source. BCAA's content is important to help build muscle! I supplement my daily protein shake (post workout) with flaxseed oil, (fortified with omega 3's to help boost fat burning) and my daily dose of fish oil (lemon flavor) all mixed in! Find out what works for your body! Sounds sort of like your bf is jealous you are trying to educate yourself about fitness?! Good luck! ;)