TMI! Women, I need some advice.

Options
cior
cior Posts: 133 Member
I've just started birth control in the past two months and last month, I got my period normally. Before I started birth control, I had crazy periods that would not come for weeks then had one last for almost three, so I picked birth control to control them. Within the last several weeks, I've been doing 30 Day Shred and working out every day. I'm also sexually active. My period should have came yesterday or today, but hasn't. Should I be worried? Or am I being a little ridiculous? Thanks for any and all advice, ladies (or unless there are any male doctors out there lol)!

Replies

• NicoleZ1515
    NicoleZ1515 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If your bodies just getting used to the pill it's probably not too abnormal. Have you been taking it at the same time everyday? I'd take a pregnancy test and/or call your doctor if its more than 5 days late. If it were me, Id go ahead and take a test now for piece of mind :)
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably just adjusting, but if you're stressing, just go get a pregnancy test. I'm on BC and my periods are very light (like 1 day light) and sometimes I don't have them at all. If I don't have a period, I test just because I don't want to worry about it.

Hope that helps!
    Jen

ETA: BTW, I'm not low weight or otherwise amenorrheamic, I've been exercising forever, and my hormone levels are fine, the pills just really slow things down for me.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    Working out a lot could cause you to skip. especially if it's new in your routine
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    Lots of stuff can happen that's not normal for the 1st couple months. It's not necessarily bad, just your body trying to get used to the influx of hormones.
  • turbophoenix
    turbophoenix Posts: 152
    Options
    Your body is probably just adjusting, but if you're stressing, just go get a pregnancy test. I'm on BC and my periods are very light (like 1 day light) and sometimes I don't have them at all. If I don't have a period, I test just because I don't want to worry about it.

^^ This. The pill I'm currently on has me on a bimonthly schedule so I only have a period every other month (or a very light period). My doc told me it was normal but I still test when I miss just in case. I've also noticed that since I started MFP, my cycle has changed some so it could also be your body adjusting to changes in calorie intake, exercise, etc.
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Not to freak you out but you know that for the first month or two on Birth Control you are still supposed to use another form of protection right. Ditto if you are on antibiotics or switch brands of pills. A drastic change in your diet can stall it though so I would suggest taking a test ASAP. why drive yourself crazy for nothing.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    mine starts 3 days later than my pills say it should, like clockwork. i wouldnt worry too much unless it doesnt find a schedule after a couple months. :)
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    what are you using? i used to take the seasonale - 4 periods a year. i didn't get periods and i LOVED it. i had my tubes tied after baby #2 (he was a c-section so i figured, "while you are in there...") but anyway, i often wonder why i bothered because i fully intend to get back on the pill because my periods are awful and so is the pms. i forgot what a beotch i can be...
  • ifyouknew
    ifyouknew Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a family doctor. As others have mentioned, there are a few things that could be happening. Pregnancy, a new pill (in the past 3 months), stress, and a new diet or exercise regimen can all make you miss a period. Home pregnancy tests cost about $10 and are very accurate, especially if you do it using your first pee of the morning (it's more concentrated so the pregnancy hormones that the test looks for are more concentrated too). If that is negative, it's most likely the pill or the diet/exercise changes and you don't need to worry about it. As long as you don't overdo the diet and exercise, it should settle into a new 'normal' pattern over time.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    but i also echo that you should probably take a pregnancy test just in case. my 1st child was conceived on the pill. she was also the kid who got the measles from the measles vaccine. she likes to defy the odds....
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! i appreciate the advice. :) i'm going to wait a couple days then take it from there!
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    mine starts 3 days later than my pills say it should, like clockwork. i wouldnt worry too much unless it doesnt find a schedule after a couple months. :)

Same with me. I'll be on my third placebo pill and then I start. It takes up to 3 months for your body to adjust to the pill, so it could take a while for it to be like clockwork like ours haha.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    your body responds to new routines, like working out/birth control in different ways so it may not be right on time...I'd say give it a week or so then be worried :P mine are barely ever on time but I've started to track them and they're usually within a week of when they're supposed to come...also, cycles are different...they can be between 28-35 days apart so just remember that, and all of the new things you're doing will definitely play into that! Just start tracking them, I used the notes app on my phone because it's always with me. Then you'll know how far apart they are then you can not be worried when they don't come :)
    I tried birth control one time (my periods were never normal) and it messed me up badddd....I would wake up almost every night for the first month to get sick, my periods were much heavier than usual (if they did come) and they made my cramps terrible (i never used to get cramps) I guess I either was on the wrong one or my body doesn't take well to those....Condoms are much easier :)
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Not to freak you out but you know that for the first month or two on Birth Control you are still supposed to use another form of protection right. Ditto if you are on antibiotics or switch brands of pills. A drastic change in your diet can stall it though so I would suggest taking a test ASAP. why drive yourself crazy for nothing.

This isn't true. It depends on which birth control you are taking and when you start taking it. Most of them are 7-10 days when you first start you need to use a second form of birth control. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS that come with the meds, ask a doctor and exercise caution listening to MFPer's about these types of things.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Intense exercise can certainly reduce how often you get your period, as well as your body adjusting to the bc. I wouldn't freak out lol
  • verodzrosas
    verodzrosas Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ive bee on bc for 4 yrs now and at first it was kind of weird but as time went by it jus sort of adjusted and its exactly like this, three days after, always Wednesday!:smile: