Post Surgery starvation mode

Options
Hello All,
I had a tonsillectomy last wednesday (4/25/12) and since then I have been really unable to eat much and with the pain medication I'm on causing me to sleep most of the day I have been eating between 100-500 calories a day sometimes even less and I am worried about the effect it is having on my body. I have lost about 5 pounds in five days and I feel weak and I know that it is because of the lack of nutrients in my body. As my throat heals up I am trying to add in more calorie rich foods such as diet shakes and soups but it is hard since my throat is still so sore and I know I still have quite a bit of healing time ahead of me. Is there anyway to come out of the starvation mode my body has been put into without gaining back more weight than I have lost? I really don't want to slide backwards because of this.

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    I had a tonsillectomy last wednesday (4/25/12) and since then I have been really unable to eat much and with the pain medication I'm on causing me to sleep most of the day I have been eating between 100-500 calories a day sometimes even less and I am worried about the effect it is having on my body. I have lost about 5 pounds in five days and I feel weak and I know that it is because of the lack of nutrients in my body. As my throat heals up I am trying to add in more calorie rich foods such as diet shakes and soups but it is hard since my throat is still so sore and I know I still have quite a bit of healing time ahead of me. Is there anyway to come out of the starvation mode my body has been put into without gaining back more weight than I have lost? I really don't want to slide backwards because of this.

You aren't going into starvation mode in so short a time.

I would do it like coming off any fast... focus on small amounts of raw, healthy foods (or for you, vegetable soups) as you start feeling better and add to that. You will gain some back, there is no getting around it.
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Several pounds of that is water and you will gain it back once you're able to eat correctly. I'd get some protein shakes and liquid vitamins. Your body needs the help healing and that really should be your focus right now. Dieting while you're healing only prolongs the healing process.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Keep eating/drinking cold stuff (helps to reduce the swelling). Forget about "diet" drinks for now, your body has special needs for healing that require a higher calorie count. Boost Plus, Ensure Plus, Uninjury all can be found at the local drug store. All have more nutrients than "protein" shakes, drink at least 4 daily until you can eat soft foods (oatmeal, soft eggs, pudding, ect).
    Start weaning yourself off the heavy meds (alternate with tylenol so you don't take them as frequently. You can also break them in half). Suck on ice chips too. Your recovery shouldn't be much longer than 2 weeks (total).
    Keep healthy:flowerforyou: