Energy of food

Options
For the past few days I've been staying with my aunt in the states, and I have sooo enjoyed not counting calories. I know it's a choice I made and it was working in the beginning but my whole perspective has really changed since living here with her. She's very aware when it comes to healtyh food choices but doesn't look at calories so much as fibre and sugar (which I know many people using MFP do as well), but one thing she considers is the energy food gives her. Something that I do it eat and eat and eat and hardly ever listen to my body... do I feel good after eating Chinese take-out? My aunt sees food almost having good and bad vibes... she believes that what you put into your mouth is important because your body relies on the choices you make. And I thought that was a cool (even though maybe simple and obvious) way of thinking about it. She's taught me a lot about eating what makes you feel good but also listening to what your body needs.

So that was harder than I thought it was going to be to write down! I can't explain what how she put it... but she's kind of one of those hippies who believes in chinese medicine, does yoga on her roof, and believes in loving yourself for who you are. To be honest it's hard to come back on MFP and look at all the numbers again and try to log food. I didn't today and I haven't the last few. I'm not really sure if I want to in the future either... I don't know why but I would just feel bad leaving.

Don't really know if I should expect any replies to this, haha. It was more of a thought than a question that needs answering.

Replies

• driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thought, and very true. How great do you feel after an entire day of clean eating? And how crap do you feel a day after eating out? I kind of have a hidden hippie in me somewhere too, so I feel what you and your aunty are saying!

I'm bumping so other people can read as well.
  • erogers85
    erogers85 Posts: 32
    Options
    Wow! your aunt sounds amazing! What a great opportunity for you to spend time with her. If you don't feel like logging, don't log for awhile and see what happens. I think there is definitely something to be said for getting back to the root of eating- which of course is fuel. Learning which foods give you energy and learning to recognize when your body needs it's fuel replenished is something you'll be able to use for the rest of your life! Good luck!!
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well I work in the health care profession, but I'm overweight so my thought is kind drowned. I agree with your aunt. Like, carbs get such a bad wrap. Your body's first choice for energy is in carbs. So many folks can just sit in front of a tv and eat a bag of chips and think, where'd the belly come from. lol. Just a thought.:smile:
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    thanks, i appreciate it :) reading what i wrote back now doesnt really do justice for what i wanted to say... she was explaing to more about the energy... like the positive energy she sees an apple having, opposed to a hot dog which is "just blah". but again, she is kind of a spiritual person in that sense and i think it would be a good take on a healthy eating lifestyle.

Edit to say: oh and regardig the carbs... she was suprised her sister (my dietician) recommened i have three servings a day (even though this is what the canada food guide recommends). interestingly enough she doesn't see it as something we need to make a point of putting into out bodies. i cant recall her exact words but something about how veggies have carbs, so what makes a cup of rice different from a cup of carrots. im not sure if i agree with that but like hearing other opinions