dinner help!

Options
For dinner tonight my mom insists on getting chinese food. I normally try to stay away from chinese food but I don't really have a choice tonight. so does anyone know what the healthiest thing to get is at a chinese restaurant? I used to get boneless almond chicken with white rice but that's probably not such a good idea ha any ideas??

Replies

• tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Tofu , steamed veggies, No Rice!!!!!
  • melisss
    Options
    I love the beef and broccoli
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Moo Goo Gai Pan. The sauce is not full of sugar like most chinese sauces and it has veggies and chicken. I think it is tasty too. It is not great, but it is better than most other things of the menu. You could also ask for half the chicken and twice the veggies and see if they will do that for you. This site says this is the info ofcourse this will vary a lot from restaurant to restaurant, but it might be a decent idea.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/nutrition/All_Foods/Poultry/Moo_Goo_Gai_Pan.html
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hot and Sour Soup - awesome on a cold night! Low fat, has tofu in it, but if you don't like tofu, you would never be able to tell..
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    whatever you get ask for it steamed with no sauce or sauce on the side
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you can get brown rice, it has more fiber than whire rice and can stick with you a lot longer.
    When eating out at a restaurant that is not of my choice, I usually:
    *assume that everything is going to have more calories than it *should*
    *try to work as many veggies into my meal as possible
    *stay away from anything deep-fried
    *keep my portion sizes under control

Other than that, just enjoy your meal with your mom, and don't stress too much about how this single meal will impact your diet.

As many people on this site like to say, it's about a new lifestyle and not a diet. It's not like you can avoid going to chinese restaurants forever! It's just a matter of trying to make the healthiest choice you can at the time, and go back to your normal healthy habits tomorrow. :smile:
  • arleneevans
    Options
    many chinese take out have a veggie menu you should try broccolli and garlic sauce on side or mix veggie and brown rice
  • evelynminnick
    Options
    soups are always good. Won ton Soup
  • disbey
    disbey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Steamed chicken and vegetables and brown rice (if they offer it) :smile:
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    Steamed fish. Vegetable dishes.