Is it xo hard to lose weight

Options
I have been exercising for almost a month now and on a 1330 calorie goal but i seem to have lost only 1pound....Given i want to lose 20pounds how long wil it take to lose al that its xo frustrating!!!!

Replies

• BonnellCA
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight only based on calorie reduction? That could be the problem. You don't want your body to resist by going into starvation mode. Pay attention to the macros (good fats, good carbs, protein) and also track sugar. I am eating WAY more stuff than I used to and have been losing weight steadily since Easter. I work out 6 days a week, but even my kids (who don't work out) have lost several pounds each just by watching the sugar. You might be surprised how much hidden sugar is in some of the foods you eat. I certainly was. Even some healthy stuff (e.g. orange juice). Good luck!
  • watters87
    watters87 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same. Been working out 6 days a week including running, weight training and sessions with a personal trainer. Have reduced my calories to 1200-1400 5 days a week, and then usually end up eating more like 2000 on the weekends but with more exercise in there too. Of the calories I eat it is 95% fresh healthy home cooked food ie. porridge and fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch and then home cooked dinner something like chicken with new potatoes and veg or vegetarian chilli with brown rice etc.

I lost a couple of lbs the first week, and now nothing for 2 weeks!

It's so frustrating and disheartening.
  • Penzi80
    Penzi80 Posts: 29
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight only based on calorie reduction? That could be the problem. You don't want your body to resist by going into starvation mode. Pay attention to the macros (good fats, good carbs, protein) and also track sugar. I am eating WAY more stuff than I used to and have been losing weight steadily since Easter. I work out 6 days a week, but even my kids (who don't work out) have lost several pounds each just by watching the sugar. You might be surprised how much hidden sugar is in some of the foods you eat. I certainly was. Even some healthy stuff (e.g. orange juice). Good luck!
  • Penzi80
    Options
    Thanks for that al watch my sugar and see how it goes, is honey bad when you add it to tea?? i seem to do that alot since am avoiding sugar
  • Penzi80
    Options
    am on a strict calories goal 1300 seven days a week, I exercise 3days a week, the rest of the days i walk and do aerobics
  • LBachynsky
    Options
    The scale lies! Take your measurements. Especially if you're doing strength exercises. Also, rice and potatoes are not as great to have in your diet as you'd think. Just a 1/2 cup of rice or a medium baked potato throws my diary for a loop.
  • BonnellCA
    Options
    Thanks for that al watch my sugar and see how it goes, is honey bad when you add it to tea?? i seem to do that alot since am avoiding sugar

Not sure how many cups you might be having a day, but when I look up Publix brand clover honey, it has 16g of sugar in it. My sugar is supposed to be 24 for the whole day! I have switched to Stevia for my coffee (not really a big fan of it in my coffee, but trying to work through it and stay committed to a lower sugar diet). However, cooking with stevia and putting it into my protein shakes has been fine.

You definitely have to wean off the sweetness. maybe you could try using 3/4 of your usual amount or 1/2 or just reducing the number of times of day you have your tea. I am finally finding myself happy to drink water (previously really only drank water when I was working out). I am convinced that dehydration was contributing to some of my afternoon sluggishness before. I haven't experienced that afternoon sleepiness since reducing the sugar and drinking lots more water.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    My advice. Don't go by the scale. The scale always made me feel bad and like I was doing it all for nothing. Then I started taking measurements every week. Write them down. It was amazing. My scale was not moving but I was on average losing an 1/2 inch to an inch a week around my waist. I would measure. Much better motivator. The scale does not tell the whole story.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I started at around 1300 calories a day... didn't lose any weight until I got smart and upped my calories above my BMR.
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements? The first few months have been discouraging because I only lost a couple pounds a month but I've lost alot of inches. So, i hate the scale but LOVE my measuring tape!
  • Mustangsally33
    Options
    am on a strict calories goal 1300 seven days a week, I exercise 3days a week, the rest of the days i walk and do aerobics

I had the same thing for about 3 Months, The Scale did not move and I was exercising 5 days a week . MInd you I have lost 3 inches in my Waist and Hips and 2 in Chest the scale had not moved. Try Finding out your TDEE and there are some great article on here about how to figure that out, You are likely not eating enough , I uped mine and lost 1.5 lbs last week and hoping for the same next week . If you are eating 1300 Calories a day you should net that after exercises so you do want to eat your exercise calories back. MFP is designed to make sure you get the Minimun you NEED to lose weight so always pay attention to the calories after you add in your exercise and make sure you eat them . There is a Group on here that can really help called "Eat More to Lose Weight " or something similar to that ......check it out ,lots of great tips !
  • Mustangsally33
    Options

I had the same thing for about 3 Months, The Scale did not move and I was exercising 5 days a week . MInd you I have lost 3 inches in my Waist and Hips and 2 in Chest the scale had not moved. Try Finding out your TDEE and there are some great article on here about how to figure that out, You are likely not eating enough , I uped mine and lost 1.5 lbs last week and hoping for the same next week . If you are eating 1300 Calories a day you should net that after exercises so you do want to eat your exercise calories back. MFP is designed to make sure you get the Minimun you NEED to lose weight so always pay attention to the calories after you add in your exercise and make sure you eat them . There is a Group on here that can really help called "Eat More to Lose Weight " or something similar to that ......check it out ,lots of great tips !

eat more to weight less is the group
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    My advice. Don't go by the scale. The scale always made me feel bad and like I was doing it all for nothing. Then I started taking measurements every week. Write them down. It was amazing. My scale was not moving but I was on average losing an 1/2 inch to an inch a week around my waist. I would measure. Much better motivator. The scale does not tell the whole story.

I lost 129 lbs and gained back 20. i'm still in my size 14's, which is where I want to be, but the scale made me think I was doing bad. When I lost my wieght at first I lost alot of muscle. I was not watching my heart rate and staying in the fat burning mode. My trainer told me to stop looking at the scale and watch how my body is shaping instead.
  • Penzi80
    Options
    I have been taking more sugar inform of honey in my tea and sugary fruits, when i changed my settings to track my sugar intake..its more than whats recommended al take tea with no sugar and see how it goes, thanx for mentioning that!
  • Penzi80
    Options

Wow,!when i take my measurements i have actually lost aabout 2inches, Now am loving my tape measure >>
  • Penzi80
    Options

Not sure how many cups you might be having a day, but when I look up Publix brand clover honey, it has 16g of sugar in it. My sugar is supposed to be 24 for the whole day! I have switched to Stevia for my coffee (not really a big fan of it in my coffee, but trying to work through it and stay committed to a lower sugar diet). However, cooking with stevia and putting it into my protein shakes has been fine.

You definitely have to wean off the sweetness. maybe you could try using 3/4 of your usual amount or 1/2 or just reducing the number of times of day you have your tea. I am finally finding myself happy to drink water (previously really only drank water when I was working out). I am convinced that dehydration was contributing to some of my afternoon sluggishness before. I haven't experienced that afternoon sleepiness since reducing the sugar and drinking lots more water.

Starting today am waching mt sugar intake, Thanks for the thumbs up!
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    If the coffee is a struggling point for you to cut out sugar, ditch the coffee. What's it really doing for you, anyway?