Let's talk musical theatre!!!

Options
Laura_Suzie
Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
Any other musical theatre geeks out there? What's your favorite musical? Least favorite? Have you seen any Broadway shows?

My favorite musical of all time is "Into the Woods". I also enjoy "Phantom of the Opera", "Promises, Promises", and a lot others.
My least favorites (that I've seen): "Once on the Island" and "Whistle Down the Wind" (so bad, I was in the back of the theatre trying to contain my laughter.)
As for Broadway, I've seen "Wicked", "Legally Blonde", and "Chicago".

Tony Award noms are being announced this morning! Any predictions?

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    lets not.. :yawn:
  • Laura_Suzie
    Options

So, that's why you clicked on a topic entitled: "Let's talk musical theatre!!!"? Whatever troll.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

So, that's why you clicked on a topic entitled: "Let's talk musical theatre!!!"? Whatever troll.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Meh, don't listen to Monty...he's a spoil sport! Stay out of the thread if you don't like it!

Me...I LOVE musical theatre! I live in Australia, so I haven't seen a Broadway show yet...but am travelling to NY next year so I'm definitely planning to see a few while I'm there!

Favourite....would have to be a toss up between Phantom of the Opera and Rock of Ages. I saw both of them twice and so want to see them again!

Least favourite....maybe, We Will Rock You? Although the music was awesome, the plot was terrible.

I was in London for 2 weeks last year and went a little nuts with the discount tickets you can get to go see shows. I saw The Wizard of Oz, We Will Rock You, Jersey Boys (which I'm seeing again here in Oz in August), Michael Jackson's Thriller Live, Chicago, Wicked and one more I cannot for the life of me remember.

I enjoy doing community theatre and have auditioned for How to Succeed in Business without Trying...I'll be happy if I score a chorus part to be honest.
  • skinnyminnay
    Options
    Love<3

You should watch NBC's Smash, its a show about a broadway production of marilyn monroe. I actually got into Musical theater because of that show! What musicals do you recommend? I'm just starting lol
  • Laura_Suzie
    Options
    Love<3

You should watch NBC's Smash, its a show about a broadway production of marilyn monroe. I actually got into Musical theater because of that show! What musicals do you recommend? I'm just starting lol

I love Smash! I recommend starting with classics and really well known shows. (Anything by Rodgers and Hammerstein, Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, etc.) Christian Borle (who plays Tom on Smash) was in Legally Blonde: The musical. It's a really fun feel good show.

After you see all the well known shows, I recommend seeing and listening to anything by Stephen Sondheim: Into the Woods, Sunday in the Park with George, Sweeney Todd. He is brilliant, but his music is an acquire taste, so I wouldn't jump right into it. When you do however, watch Into the Woods first. To me, it is his most "audience friendly" show.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Options

I enjoy doing community theatre and have auditioned for How to Succeed in Business without Trying...I'll be happy if I score a chorus part to be honest.

Oohhh, I'm auditioning for that show next year! I love it :)
  • d4rkn3ss06
    d4rkn3ss06 Posts: 57
    Options
    I love musical theatre!!! <3!!!! I have a bunch of full sound tracks for a musicals on my ipod that i listen too all the time!! :) I LOVED wicked and lion king!! I also loved chicago! In to the woods as well is simply amazing! I haven't found one that i completely dislike but i havent seen enough live so that might be part of it! I am a huge nerd!!!!:love:
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I love musicals, used to work professionally in theatre as a stage manager.

Favourites include Les Mis, Phantom, Sweeney Todd, Elisabeth (which no one will ever have heard of), A Little Night Music (love anything by Sondheim), Martin Guerre (the original not the rewrite), Wicked... I have seen a lot more, those are just some of my favourites
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've done a fair few musicals myself :)

My favourite to watch is Rocky Horror but the favourite one I've been in is probs Into the Woods - which I've done twice and played the Baker's Wife both times! (typecast, boooo!)

But I also loved A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum - that was great fun to do!
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love musical theatre!!! I have enjoyed 'Wicked', 'Chicago' 'The lion king', 'Shrek' and many many more like 'Edward Scissor hands' and 'Thriller live'!!! Never anything I didn't really appreciate in one form!!

The next one I would love to see is 'Sweeny Todd'!!!!
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Musical geek right here! That's why I added you. However, I stopped doing musicals and still do straight plays. If I could read music, I'd go back to musicals. :)

My favorite musical, that I was luckily enough to be in, was Merrily We Roll Along. I really liked Jerkyl and Hyde. I must say I am spoiled since my boyfriend does sound for a community theater, so I got the chance to see a lot of good ones. My least favorite is Once Upon an Island. I just didn't like it. I am sure there are others that I haven't enjoyed, but right now, that's all that is coming to mind! LOL
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Music geek here too. You'll find pretty much all genres of music on my computer.

As for musicals I've seen:

Phantom of the Opera

Cats

Jesus Christ Superstar

Miss Siagon

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Coat

Les Miserables

Mary Poppins

I liked them all.

I LOVED the movie version of Phantom of the Opera as well.

Musical Movies

Rocky Horror

Repo! The Genetic Opera was awesome AND starred Sarah Brightman, the original Christine from Phantom!

I would love to see Miss Saigon ported over to a movie like they did with Phantom.

JM
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I saw Les Miserables at the Fox in Detroit- It was AMAZING. I've always wanted to see Phantom and Miss Saigon live, but haven't gotten to YET.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I saw Les Miserables at the Fox in Detroit- It was AMAZING. I've always wanted to see Phantom and Miss Saigon live, but haven't gotten to YET.

So amazing to see it live. Try to see Miss Saigon in a larger venue. In the smaller ones, they can't always use the helicopter. Phantom is amazing everywhere I've got to see it. I will note that the Vegas production of it follows the movie version closer than the original Broadway version.

JM
  • Laura_Suzie
    Options
    the favourite one I've been in is probs Into the Woods - which I've done twice and played the Baker's Wife both times! (typecast, boooo!)

I am SO jealous of you right now...