Really need help with motivation for exercise!

Options
Ok, so I took a picture of myself when I had 17 weeks to go before going on holiday to Paris, and promised myself I would do strength training 3 times a week and cardio the rest of the week, and 5 weeks later, I have done ZIP!! Literally nothing.

Over Easter I really didn't calorie count and got away with only putting on 3 lbs, which I quickly shed back off (must have been mostly water), and although I have been fairly good with the calorie counting (this weekend I think was the first time I genuinely didn't go over by huge amounts!) and am due to weigh myself tomorrow, but I don't think I have lost anything.

I am annoyingly in between a size 14 and a size 12 with regards to my work trousers (jeans, I am comfortably in a 12)...14's too big, 12 too tight, and I WANT to lose more inches and lose more weight. I want to reach below 10 stone (140lbs) before I go away (that's 8lbs...which I should be able to do), but the last few weeks, I have put on and lost 3lbs and then just stopped.

I know it's because I'm not exercising, but I just can't seem to get back into the gym! I have free weights at home, so should be at least doing my strength training, but even that I don't do.

It's not like I don't have the time. I'm just lazy, but I can't seem to snap out of it.

Please someone kick me up the butt!

:frown:

Replies

• sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I you really want it, you'll do it. If not, you'll mkae excuses. You don't need motivation from others. It's your choice and your responsibility.
  • oliviagetsdown
    Options
    To be honest, I'm the same in terms of laziness. But I've noticed that since really getting into MFP, my friends on here are my biggest motivation - even if it's just because my diary is public so I don't want to embarrass myself too badly.
    I'm happy to support anyone on MFP even if it means bugging the hell out of them to move their arses everyday! Add me if you want. :) I'm sorry I can't give any other tips - just tbh being told philosophies never helps me, I just need to be pushed.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Find a gym partner on craigslist (or your country's equivalent) I put up an ad.. and it's kinda fun, especially if you're married. It's like internet dating.

I had 10 people respond to my very specific ad, which said I wanted to do heavy lifting and possible cardio on the off days. 3 of them were men saying I was hot, boo! 1 was very young, so I told her I had already found someone. Another had too many kids, so I told her I already found someone. The other 5 I've been trying out to get a good idea of who I actually want to work out with.

I've actually been going to the gym multiple times a day because I REALLY want to pick the best partner. I also would be embarrassed if one of these girls caught me at the gym with my other gym date. LOL

Anyways, it's a fun.. something to add to it. And once you pick your gym-mate, you guys can set times to work out and it's always harder to just say, "eff it" if you have someone else who thinks you're working out with them.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In the end, it is very difficult to provide motivation through the internet. What you need to do is look deep inside yourself, find a microscope if you have to. Look and try to find the reason why you are calorie counting, why you want to exercise, why you set your goals to be what they are. Now tell yourself, DO you want this, is this what YOU want to do. If YOU dont want it, noone can make YOU want it.

If you want to go to a gym, bring a friend along, you can spot each other and it is much more enjoyable. If you are at home, and someone is there get them to literally kick you on the bum and push you to do what you want (that is if thats what you want). Find people who are like minded in your goals and rventually their motivation will rub on you.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you can't find the motivation to do it take some time to try and find a workout you'll want to go back to again and again. Do some research! Here a few places you can start. If one sounds interesting, it won't hurt to at least try it once. Do that and you'll eventually find something that makes you want to achieve more.
    30 Day Shred - YouTube
    Nerdfitness.com - Angry Birds Workout and the site in general
    Leslie Sansone - YouTube
    If you start here, perhaps you'll see other things along the way that will help in your journey to become more fit. Good luck to you!
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I you really want it, you'll do it. If not, you'll mkae excuses. You don't need motivation from others. It's your choice and your responsibility.

This really isn't fair. It's difficult to do something you don't particularly enjoy when results are often slow to come, if you're a carrot type person who needs a lot of positive reinforcement to do things you don't like.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options

This really isn't fair. It's difficult to do something you don't particularly enjoy when results are often slow to come, if you're a carrot type person who needs a lot of positive reinforcement to do things you don't like.

i have to semi agree. I do love a good carrot but.. sometimes a stick is often the best option, in this case I would say stick. The OP has no motivation, none nada, zilch. It is not simply a particular exercise or a particular workout but just moving in general. Like I said above, you need to rediscover why you started this life changing journey (not a strict diet/regime) and go back to that phase where you believed in yourself and continue to push forward.
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm a terrible procrastinator. I should be running now, but I'm still reading forum posts.

Training every day is a very optimistic goal from a standing start. Why not start really gradually? The mind craves to "win". If you set a few small goals, you'll get a few small victories to overcome your motivational difficulties. My first week of training after a year and a half out looked like this:

Day one: 20 mins gentle run. 10 mins press ups, situps, squats, dorsal raises.
    Day Three: 40 min run, alternating pace
    Day Five: 10 min run, 30 min press ups etc
    Day seven: 40 min walk.

Fairly gentle stuff compared to where I'd like to be in 12 weeks.

Also, try getting your gym gear ready and packed into a bag the night before. Rather than saying that you have, "plenty of time", pick a one hour block in your schedule for tomorrow, and make it about the gym or nothing. No computer, no meal, no TV, no books. Once you've written that block in your diary, your only two options should be training, or sitting at home in your gym kit (that you got ready the night before). Hope this helps. Looking forward to hearing that you've cleared this hurdle.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    the last few weeks, I have put on and lost 3lbs and then just stopped.

I know it's because I'm not exercising
    No it's not, it's because you're eating too much.

Exercise has a LOT of benefits, but it won't make you lose fat weight unless you control what you're eating. Food is THE major factor with weight loss, not exercise.

But you want to be kicked up the butt? You asked for it!

Get up off your fat *kitten* RIGHT NOW, no excuses, switch your computer off and go for a brisk walk!
    Right, that's your exercise regime started.

You can switch your computer back on to say thanks when you get back... :bigsmile:
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Set smaller goals that are achievable. Aim to go once a week & if you manage twice have a pedicure as a treat!
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    But you want to be kicked up the butt? You asked for it!

Get up off your fat *kitten* RIGHT NOW, no excuses, switch your computer off and go for a brisk walk!
    Right, that's your exercise regime started.

You can switch your computer back on to say thanks when you get back... :bigsmile:

Lol!

But seriously guys, thanks for the pep talks and reality checks. I know that no one else can really 'help' me stop being lazy. I have to help myself. And sure, going to the gym with someone would be a good thing, although I can only go after the morning school run, and not a lot of people are in my shoes time wise so wouldn't be able to accompany me (plus they would have to be a member of this gym by paying service charges etc).

I am not really in a long term hurry to lose the weight, just start getting into a routine.Need to get momentum and hopefully snowball eventually.
  • stephanie_pephanie
    Options
    Tell yourself you will only work out for 5 minutes... usually once you start you keep going. That initial shove is oh so very hard sometimes but you will feel better if you do it. Think of how you beat yourself up when you don't do it and then think of how proud you will feel about yourself if you do. I have never ended a workout and not felt good. Often the times when I least feel like it turn out to be the best workouts in the end. Good luck! Remember all the reasons you want to do this!
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, I didn't want to come off as mean. But the truth is that over the internet we can say all we want to motive someone, but in the end it's up to each person individually to get their butt to the gym.