Are there any Healthy Fruit Juices?

Options
I would like to have a fruit juice in the fridge that isn't loaded with sugar. Are there any out there or are they all junk?

Replies

• canuckgirl0992
    Options
    If you are looking for a good fruit juice I would just stick to 100% fresh, no sugar added, juice. Organic if you prefer or can afford it. Unfortunately all fruit has naturally occuring sugars and a glass (250 mL) of fruit juice can have as much as 10 teaspoons of sugar in it (1 teaspoon of sugar equals 4 grams of sugar). So, really it is not the healthiest thing out there. It is better to eat a fruit and gain the fiber and protein that juice lacks. However, if I were to choose a juice I would porbably go with orange for the vitamin C, cranberry for the acidity to help prevent UTI's, grapefruit for the enzymes, or pomegranate for the antioxidants.

Better to stick with water (add some cucumber, mint, lemon etc.), black coffee, clear tea, and whatever milk source you drink (dairy, almond, rice). Or limit it to a few days a week :)

Hope that helps a bit!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I switched to a spciy tomato juice instead of the orange or grapefruit I used to drink.

I wouldn't call proper fruit juice "junk", though: but it is really high in sugar.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I will drink Naked or Odwalla juices for breakfast sometimes when I'm just not hungry (I cannot eat early in the morning and some days I have early classes). They do have a lot of calories (in fact, Naked juice has two servings per bottle so read the label) but they have some pretty good formulas with veggies and nutritious stuff. I think there is no added sugar and is all fruit.
  • HappyHealthyDoll
    Options
    Make your own with fresh produce and yummy fruits, just add ice and low fat yogurt and milk if you like.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I am diabetic so I just gave up drinking fruit juice. Too much sugar. I just eat the piece of fruit because then you get all the other good nutrition fruits have to offer. Everyone kept tellling me how good the Naked juices were for you, but look at the labels, no fiber, except for the acai one. Lots of calories too.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    I do homemade lemonade.. squeeze fresh lemons, add some water and Stevia... very low sugar content :)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I like V8 Diet Splash and Ocean Spray Diet Blueberry.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    As someone said above, any juice is generally crazy high in sugar. If you are thirsty then drink water. If you want something like juice, then eat some fruit and theres your juice there.
  • rosalang
    rosalang Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    tomato juice is low in calories, find one without added sugar and not made from concentrates
    any juice made from concentrates has a higher sugar content. maybe get your own juicer?
  • cremeetsucre
    Options
    Crystal light, to be honest. If you are against artificial sweeteners, then get some plain sparkling water and mix it with a tbsp or so of 100% orange/apple juice.
  • christinemariebell
    Options
    Thank you all for your ideas. I already drink a lot of water so I guess if I'm craving a juice in the morning I'll probably just drink a small glass of orange juice. I don't always crave juice but every once in a while i like to have a glass.