What happens if you work out without eating enough protein?

Options
I mean, physically? Do you just not repair and build muscle as well as you would if you ate more protein? Which presumably means you wouldn't have the muscles that burn the calories as well, so weight loss wouldn't be as efficient? Am I right about that?

Only asking because I've just looked at my food reports and am WAAAAY under on protein most days, and as I'm about to start killing myself with Insanity, I want to work on perfecting my diet a bit in the few days before it arrives.

Replies

• dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    I heard your arms will fall off!!!!!
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    your correct about most of that yes. you need protein to repair damaged muscle tissue from workouts so they can rebuild stronger than they were before, your muscles are made of amino acids which you get from protein so you need those proteins to get the amino acids to build muscle.
  • islaybower
    islaybower Posts: 57
    Options
    I heard your arms will fall off!!!!!

:laugh:
  • islaybower
    Options
    your correct about most of that yes. you need protein to repair damaged muscle tissue from workouts so they can rebuild stronger than they were before, your muscles are made of amino acids which you get from protein so you need those proteins to get the amino acids to build muscle.

So if you didn't eat enough it wouldn't be exactly 'bad', just make everything less efficient and less effective?

I've always avoided any kind of commercial protein powder because I live in fear of most processed foods (apart from biscuits, but I kind of figure I've used up my processed food quota there!), but maybe I'll have to give in and get some - even with making a massive effort to eat plenty of yoghurts/lean meat/seeds etc I'm never averaging more than 20% protein.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    ok well its hard to really consider a protein powder to be a processed food I mean its just protein its like drinking milk which is 80% whey 20% casein anyway aside from the fats and carbs in it. not drinking protein powder is like saying your afraid of milk at any rate yes you wont be as efficient and your body composition will suffer from a lack of protein.

as for your food proteins Im assuming your just not getting powerful forms of natural protein, chicken breast, turkey breast, tuna fish I mean those are just loaded with protein.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    No nothing will happen to you. The so-called "muscle loss" occurs when you are low on glycogen, the body simply needs to find other sources of energy.
    But that doesn't happen in a day, in a week maybe if you remove the CHO from your diet.
    Protein intakes spare the muscle loss, but also provide the muscle amino-acids for its repair and growth

Lentils, dairies, read/ white meat, etc... would provide you the proteins
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    I also use protein supplements because I don't eat enough protein for my workouts. I use an unflavoured one which only has one ingredient - whey protein concentrate. I mix it with a smoothie or juice.
  • islaybower
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

I know the protein powder hatred is fairly irrational - I try to avoid anything that I can't easily recognise as a fruit, vegetable, meat or grain, but I happily eat cheese and pasta and other semi-processed foods, so it's hardly like I'm eating obsessively clean.

Budget is quite limited, so definitely doesn't stretch to (free range) beef, chicken and turkey on a daily basis, but I'll try eating a bit more tuna and other fish and heap on the lentils and see how it goes. I may have to protein powder crazy if it's still not quite enough. Hey, at least I have an excuse to make smoothies if I'm making protein shakes!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

I know the protein powder hatred is fairly irrational - I try to avoid anything that I can't easily recognise as a fruit, vegetable, meat or grain, but I happily eat cheese and pasta and other semi-processed foods, so it's hardly like I'm eating obsessively clean.

Budget is quite limited, so definitely doesn't stretch to (free range) beef, chicken and turkey on a daily basis, but I'll try eating a bit more tuna and other fish and heap on the lentils and see how it goes. I may have to protein powder crazy if it's still not quite enough. Hey, at least I have an excuse to make smoothies if I'm making protein shakes!

Dairies, Eggs, Tuna, Salmon (higher fat/protein ratio) and lentils will be totally enough.
    There are days I almost hit my proteins intakes with eggs, white cheese and tuna only :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • J0ET
    J0ET Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just a side note - If you're going to do Insanity, you may need to up your carbs. You WILL need the extra energy, as this is a cardio workout, not a resistance workout! Great choice - Good Luck!
  • tracyquinn79
    tracyquinn79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    another good high protien alternative is greek yogurt
  • islaybower
    Options
    Just a side note - If you're going to do Insanity, you may need to up your carbs. You WILL need the extra energy, as this is a cardio workout, not a resistance workout! Great choice - Good Luck!

Upping carbs is Not A Problem! I am a complete carb fiend, I have a heck of a time keeping my carb levels down below about 60% of my calorie intake most of the time.
  • islaybower
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

Dairies, Eggs, Tuna, Salmon (higher fat/protein ratio) and lentils will be totally enough.
    There are days I almost hit my proteins intakes with eggs, white cheese and tuna only :)

Ooh, salmon. I love salmon. High fat doesn't scare me!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Well...i'll say this.

I did some strength training last week but then had a period of about 4 days where I was so nauseous I could hardly eat.

My groin hurt me the entire time. It wasn't until i forced some protein down my throat that it started to feel a little less painful.

It still hurts aches though (and feels kind of...tired?), and i think it could be because i went with so little protein all those days.