Lentil soup (Indian laal daal)

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
Copy/Pasting from my cooking blog ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/riz9007 )where I share authentic Indian/Pakistani/Arabic recipes. Most of the recipes are handed down to me by Late mother, my sister or my sister in law. Hope you enjoy it!

This recipe is shared by my sister who learned it from my mother. Unlike most of the curry/soup type recipes, this is a dish I donot recommend eating with rice. You can eat this like soup or eat with bread to make it an entree. Hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients:

1 cup red Lentils (These are tiny red colored split lentils, easily available in most stores)
1 medium onion
2 tbsp tomato paste
2-3 green chillies (depending on how hot you want it, you can easily skip it)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp salt

Ingredients for Tadka (to put on top of the soup)

1 small onion
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1-2 whole red pepper (The one thats shaped round but any dry WHOLE red pepper will work, DO NOT use pepper flakes)
1-2 tbsp olive oil

Recipe:

Take the red lentil, add the onions, green chilli, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cook it till the lentils are tender. This kind of lentil cooks faster compared to most, I'd say about 30 minutes. Once the lentils are cooked and tender, you can add salt and tomato puree and cook it for another 5 minues while stirring the soup. Your lentils are technically cooked but for more flavor, you need to add Tadka to it on top. Turn off the soups heat and in another pot (or small fry pan) prepare tadka

Tadka Recipe:
Heat the olive oil. When its hot, add the chopped onion and chopped garlic. The garlic and onions should be very very thinly sliced, the finer the better. Cook it till the onions and garlic is golden/red color then immediately add the cumin seed and the red pepper. Let the seed and pepper cook for about 15-30 seconds and then dump it all in the soup.

Your delicious soup is ready to be served, you can use some good bread to dip this into and enjoy :)

Estimated nutrition facts (just my own calculations. Not split by serving size):

For the entire recipe (using 3 tbsp oil)
Calories: 838
Fiber: 44 grams
Carbs: 112 g
protein: 34g

Replies

• chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    BUMP! This sounds delicious :D:D:D
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Do you have the calorie count on the serving size?
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! I love lentils.
  • taunto
    Options
    Updated with my own calculation of nutrition facts
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Yummy, thanks Riz.
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ohhh lenttils. I love!!!! :tongue:
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm going to hang out on your blog from now on :-D thanks for sharing.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taunto
    Options
    bump
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    bump!

THANKS, OP!
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • ozycat
    ozycat Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yum! Will try this for sure!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I definatly need to eat all the lentils in my cabinet. Thanks for posting this. It sounds yummy.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    34g protein? Are you sure? That must be a lot of lentils.
  • taunto
    Options
    34g protein? Are you sure? That must be a lot of lentils.

1 cup of lentil. Lentils are excellent source of protein (Where do you think the vegetarians in India used to get their proteins from?)
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Can you link me to where it says this?
  • taunto
    Options
    I calculated via MFP database so you cna search it yourself too. Goto "Food". Click on "Database". Type in "Red Lentil". The third entry in the results is what I used (Sadaf red lentil. Sadaf is a brand). For 1 cup of raw red lentils the protein amount of 28g but with onions and tomato puree and oil and everything protein for the entire dish increases.

There are other lentils which are even higher in proteins. I recall seeing some which were 50+ grams per cup
  • heddylamar
    heddylamar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Per http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php "1 cup lentils" has 49.5 g protein. But that varies greatly, dependent on actual quantity and type of bean, so I use a scale and the nutritional data from the manufacturer.

If the data seems really wonky, I'll google for the specific item (like "beluga lentils" or "adzuki beans").
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    I calculated via MFP database so you cna search it yourself too. Goto "Food". Click on "Database". Type in "Red Lentil". The third entry in the results is what I used (Sadaf red lentil. Sadaf is a brand). For 1 cup of raw red lentils the protein amount of 28g but with onions and tomato puree and oil and everything protein for the entire dish increases.

There are other lentils which are even higher in proteins. I recall seeing some which were 50+ grams per cup
    Ah okay, so it's 128g of dry lentils. It looks like its actually 32g protein, not 28.
    http://www.sadaf.com/sadaf-domestic-red-lentils-21-4042/