One SPOON of MAYO?! O.o (pics)

Options
L33TBl0nde
L33TBl0nde Posts: 54 Member
So, what's 1tbsp of mayo?! I'm so confused. How do you meassure that? Don't get me wrong I like how nearly all foods are to find in our database but some of the meassurements really annoy/confuse me. Lately, I've been putting too much mayo on my diary than what I actually ate, due to being scared that I might put too little on it. (later on I meassured everything myself and now I'm certain ^^)...

But, what do you considder being 1tbsp? I've fooled around with some pics and these are the two options I've thought about:

scaled.php?server=208&filename=onespoon.jpg&res=landing

This one I found the most obvious, since it's with top and if I read from an recipe - I would count tbsp with top...

onespoon2.jpg

... Buuuut then I started counting this way, that a spoon had to be topped off - I'd rather put too much calories on my diary, than too little and avoid cheating so I started thinking that it was rather 2spoons than one I had and so on. I was to horrible wrong...

So people - how do you think about meassurements? Do you ALWAYS meassure your food correctly or do you stick to many of the premades in here? And how do YOU define one TBSP? :) Have a nice day.

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I dont think it matter THAT much to get some super accurate measurement of food the human body is not that sensative
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If I want a more accurate idea of how much mayo (or peanut butter or syrup or ketchup, etc.) I'm about to eat, I use my digital food scale. Much harder to cheat that way.
  • fontinathefox
    fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon is a measurement, just like a cup. Get some measuring spoons.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    unless your conducting some kind of science experiment with your body its not that big of a deal if its off by a few grams
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I measure it all in grams in my digital scale to be sure...

When I started to weigh my peanut butter, mayo ect. I quickly learned that my idea of a tablespoon was very different from the actual amount. Turns out a tablespoon of peanut butter is like half of the actual spoon :sad:
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    I use measuring spoons, they're really cheap and much easier than guessing!
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of liquid is afaik 15ml. Water weighs 1g per 1ml so does this mean a tablespoon = 15g?
  • martina123321
    martina123321 Posts: 115
    Options
    I dont think it matter THAT much to get some super accurate measurement of food the human body is not that sensative
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I do everything in grams now. i love my scale. I think a tablespoon of mayo is 14 grams, but i'm not looking at it right now.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    An image to keep in mind is those little things of butter you get in hotels or at restaurants to go with breadrolls. You can get PB in those, and it's just 10g (serving is typically 15g), and it goes further than you think.
    Not saying run out and buy some of those (there goes the environment), but just a good image to keep in mind, in terms of size (:
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Measuring spoons - i find it confusing because our tablespoons are a different size in the UK anyway from what I hear...
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    get an actual measuring spoon and the level measurement will be the correct one. When the mayo id over the top it is called a "heaping teaspoon"/
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    That would be a level tablespoon, a heaped one is obviously heaped! But a tablespoon is 15g and I think it'd be slightlymore than that. As people have said though, a gram +/- won't be a huge thing if you're being careful everywhere :)

The measurement that gets me is cups....what the hell is a cup? (sorry to answer a question with a question!)
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    That would be a level tablespoon, a heaped one is obviously heaped! But a tablespoon is 15g and I think it'd be slightlymore than that. As people have said though, a gram +/- won't be a huge thing if you're being careful everywhere :)

The measurement that gets me is cups....what the hell is a cup? (sorry to answer a question with a question!)

a cup is 8 ounces.
  • superstankazz
    superstankazz Posts: 193
    Options
    You can get a set of measuring spoons from the dollar store! Takes all the guess work out of it for you!
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    For this type of measurement, I love my Pampered Chef scoops. The small one is exactly 1 tbs. and the medium is 2 tbs. So it measure it exactly and also has a handy scoop to get it out easily.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options

a cup is 8 ounces.

Surely a cup is a measure of volume rather than weight, so a cup of marshmallows would weigh less than a cup of nuts, for example :)
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

a cup is 8 ounces.
    250 mls

a "cup" a "teaspoon" and a "tablespoon" are all units of measure in the USA. Nobody actually uses a measuring tablespoon to eat with at the dinner table. All of these measurements will be exactly the same An American tablespoon is NOT equivalent of a spoon that you use at the table in the UK. A US teaspoon is NOT a spoon that you use for tea in other parts of the world.

I think your best bet is to get a scale and do it that way or since this site is American based for a lot of things, get some american units of measure.

Also, the LEVEL spoonful is what is considered the correct unit of measure.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I usually just measure it in grams now that I've bought my awesome food scale. :D I just plop it onto my bread until it gets to 15g (my mayo measurement for a tbsp).

Usually, your regular soup spoon is NOT the correct measuring tool (as my home econ teacher would have freaked out!). You actually should have used an actual measuring spoon, then leveled it off with the flat edge of the knife.
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    a "cup" a "teaspoon" and a "tablespoon" are all units of measure in the USA. Nobody actually uses a measuring tablespoon to eat with at the dinner table. All of these measurements will be exactly the same An American tablespoon is NOT equivalent of a spoon that you use at the table in the UK. A US teaspoon is NOT a spoon that you use for tea in other parts of the world.

I think your best bet is to get a scale and do it that way or since this site is American based for a lot of things, get some american units of measure.

Also, the LEVEL spoonful is what is considered the correct unit of measure.

For measuring, a UK tablespoon is the equivalent of a US tablespoon i.e. 15ml. Or there are 0.96 US tablespoons in 1 UK tablespoon, if you want to be exact :wink: