Advice needed! Increase cals to lose weight?

Options
Need some advice my fellow MFPs! I'm 28, 5ft 6, and used to eat 1600 cals, exercise 3-4 times a week (20-45 mins @ gym or running) and was 56-57kg. I wanted to lose weight a few months ago, so I went down to 1400 cals (under MFP suggested intake for half a pound loss per week), exercise longer and harder (30-60mins) for 5-6 days per week and now weigh 59kg! Teeny tiny reduction in body fat but no inches lost. I'm not looking much leaner so I'm discounting the muscle VS fat debate regarding weight gain. Shall I increase cals back to the old days or be patient? Any suggestions or past experience on this? I know everyone is different but any help much appreciated!! Thanks!

Replies

• bunnygirl1978
    bunnygirl1978 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The exact ame thing happened to me, basically working out so hard I put on weight with muscle and water.

I exercised just slightly less and saw a slight improvement on my wieght, but once the muscle is there, it doesnt really go away.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I put on weight Marathon training; I'm convinced the body feels deprived if you work it hard AND have a calorie deficit. The latest plateau advice seems to say change just one thing - so go back to your previous calories and carry on working out hard OR reduce the exercise OR try different exercise.

This article posted on MFP gives useful advice on what you might need to change:
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

Good luck, I need to try this too! :flowerforyou:
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I have been eating 1500 on non workout days and 1600-2200 cals per day depending on my workout sessions, which range from 200-800 calories burned. With this method (and I think the changing up daily of the totals helps me too) I'm down over 10lbs in slightly more than a month (mfp wants me to net 1600 to lose .5 a week). I eat a big bulk of my food right around my workout too, usually in the mornings, I have a smoothie pre-workout and oatmeal after between the two it's around 400-600 calories (I adjust it depending on the extent of my workout that day). This is the longest I've gone steadily losing weight ever, and I feel good, not like I want to binge first chance I get!