High protein breakfasts + snacks

Options
slay0r
slay0r Posts: 669 Member
Hey Guys,

I'm cycling a lot at the moment and I'm finding I'm getting really lightheaded midmorning where my vision goes a bit so I'm obviously not getting enough of something in. I'm trying to eat a LOT of calories (2500 net so it's like 3300 a day minimum)

I was having Blueberries and Museli for breakfast with some yoghurt but it didn't really agree with me too well no matter how much I loved it! I do have a cafe downstairs that I can ask to make things it's just expensive so doing it every day isn't really an option. What would people suggest? I have access to a microwave as well it's just an effort to go down. If there's something worthwhile though I can come in a few mins early to do that. It needs to be high in calories and protein but it does need some carbs in it still for the cycling!

I'm not eating enough inbetween either, my problem is when I want to snack I pick up a banana and I'm ending up well over my sugar as a result of having so many of them, does anyone have any healthier ideas for protein/calories? (the higher the better but healthy still!)

EDIT: Recently I've been having scrambled egg + 2 rashers of bacon on wholewheat toast with some tomato sauce on it (no butter) from the cafe..don't want to do that daily but I could incorporate it in here and there.

Replies

• slay0r
    Options
    Bump? :(
  • Rohnic
    Rohnic Posts: 82
    Options
    Hey Slay0r,
    i don't understand the part 'i have access to a microwave' does that mean ONLY a mircrowave? no stove or oven??
    I think with the scrambled eggs you're already covered, if you want you can add cheese (parmesan and cheddar are high in protein). Have milk with your breakfast (some soy milks have even higher protein contents, check the label)
    Pancakes are quickly made (wholewheat) they are high as well.
    Turkey meat (if that matches your eating habits at all) is high, as well as curd. I used curd with my breakfast cereal, and thinned it a bit with milk.
    I imagine Ricepudding to be high as well.
    Good luck.
  • slay0r
    Options
    I only have access to a microwave at work. I have access to everything else at home but I literally can't eat for the first 1-2 hours of the day, I've got acid reflux disease, it's totally fine but if I eat within an hour or 2 of getting up it gives me some hell lol, I don't think I'd make my cycle to work anyway. Was thinking of hitting a shake before I get on my bike in the morning if I can stomach that but I think even that will a lot of trouble. Need to sort myself out!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    You can do scrambled eggs in the microwave and have them with a bit of smoked salmon. Prawns and avocado make a great snack or light meal - no cooking required, just a squeeze of lemon or lime juice and a grind of black pepper. Smoked mackerel, or tins of makerel fillets/sardines etc served either with some salad or on some sort of cracker. Make a cheese frittata at home to take in. Just a tub of nuts and seeds on your desk to nibble at might help too. Or roll up cream cheese in smoked salmon slices for a yummy snack. Just some ideas as you said you wanted high protein with minimal cooking.
  • jessgrey2
    jessgrey2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do you have a blender, can you make a smoothie? Protein powder, yogurt, and some frozen fruit? Add half an avocado and a spoonful of peanut butter if you want some more fat. (I know the avocado sounds strange but you really won't taste it in the smoothie!)

Or....bring hard boiled eggs and make a piece of whole grain toast?
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    believe it or not, you can make scrambled eggs in the microwave... use 2 eggs in place of the liquid egg substitute.. seriously awesome, filling and protein packed.. best of luck

he Egg Mug Classic
    PER SERVING (entire mug): 95 calories, 2g fat, 490mg sodium, 3g carbs, 0g fiber, 2g sugars, 14.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 2*

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    One wedge The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese, cut into pieces

Directions:
    Spray a large microwave-safe mug lightly with nonstick spray. Add egg substitute and cheese and stir. Microwave for about a minute. Stir gently, and then microwave for another 30 - 45 seconds, until scramble is just set. Stir and enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING
    And Now, Variations on a Theme...

Egg Mug Florentine
    PER SERVING (entire mug): 107 calories, 2g fat, 575mg sodium, 5g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 2.5g sugars, 15g protein -- PointsPlus® value 2*

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
    1 tsp. Dijonnaise
    1 tsp. plain fat-free yogurt
    Squirt of lemon juice

Directions:
    To make your sauce, stir to combine Dijonnaise, yogurt, and lemon juice in a small dish. Set aside.

Spray a large microwave-safe mug lightly with nonstick spray. Add just the spinach and microwave for 30 seconds. Blot excess liquid from spinach. Add egg substitute and cheese and stir. Microwave for about a minute. Stir gently, and then microwave for another 30 - 45 seconds, until scramble is just set. Stir, top with sauce, and enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Egg Mug Burger-rama
    PER SERVING (entire mug): 175 calories, 0.5g fat, 995mg sodium, 14g carbs, 4g fiber, 6g sugars, 30g protein -- PointsPlus® value 4*

Ingredients:
    One slice fat-free American cheese, chopped
    One Boca Original Meatless Burger (Vegan)
    1 tbsp. ketchup

Directions:
    Microwave Boca patty for 1 minute, and then chop into pieces. Spray a large microwave-safe mug lightly with nonstick spray. Add egg substitute, chopped Boca patty, and cheese, and stir. Microwave for about a minute. Stir gently, and then microwave for another 30 - 45 seconds, until scramble is just set. Stir, top with ketchup, and enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Egg McMuggin'
    PER SERVING (entire mug): 174 calories, 3.25g fat, 1,081mg sodium, 9g carbs, 1g fiber, 2.5g sugars, 25g protein -- PointsPlus® value 4*

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 oz. (about 3 slices) extra-lean ham, chopped
    One-half slice light bread (40 - 45 calories and at least 2g fiber per slice)
    1 tbsp. shredded fat-free cheddar cheese

Directions:
    Toast bread and cut into cubes. Spray a large microwave-safe mug lightly with nonstick spray. Add bread cubes, egg substitute, cheese wedge pieces, and ham, and stir. Microwave for about a minute. Stir gently, and then top with shredded cheese. Microwave for another 30 - 45 seconds, until scramble is just set. Stir and enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Egg Mug Lorraine
    PER SERVING (entire mug): 128 calories, 4g fat, 730mg sodium, 3.5g carbs, 0g fiber, 2g sugars, 17.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 3*

Ingredients:
    1 tbsp. precooked real crumbled bacon (like the kind by Oscar Mayer)
    1 tsp. dried minced onion
    1/2 tsp. Dijonnaise

Directions:
    Spray a large microwave-safe mug lightly with nonstick spray. Add all ingredients and stir. Microwave for about a minute. Stir gently, and then microwave for another 30 - 45 seconds, until scramble is just set. Stir and enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Egg Mug Mexicali
    PER SERVING (entire mug): 116 calories, 0.5g fat, 579mg sodium, 5.5g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 1.5g sugars, 21.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 3*

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup frozen ground-beef-style soy crumbles (like the ones by Boca and Morningstar Farms)
    2 tbsp. shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
    1 tbsp. salsa

Directions:
    Spray a large microwave-safe mug lightly with nonstick spray. Add egg substitute, soy crumbles, and cheese, and stir. Microwave for about a minute. Stir gently, and then microwave for another 30 - 45 seconds, until scramble is just set. Stir, top with salsa, and enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    What about Greek yoghurt and fruit? I like the Fage Total 0%. Some people will add honey or other sweeteners, but I like the way it tastes on its own. When I was working I either had a protein shake, the aforementioned Greek yoghurt and fruit or something pre-made. I would put together some egg burritos (scrambled egg in a tortilla with salsa and cheese or soft cheese) and freeze them, then just take to work with me, heat and eat. I would do the same thing with eggy bread/French toast, whip up a batch of about 12 slices of eggy bread on Sunday, freeze, take to work and make a PB & J out of that.

Maybe talk to your doctor though? You are eating a lot of calories and it is possible that it's a blood pressure problem or something. I'm not a doctor, just so you know! Just a thought.
  • EmilyDuby
    EmilyDuby Posts: 67
    Options
    I'd recommend some kind of nut for snacking. High in protein, low in sugar.
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My breakfast does ok on the protein stakes:

45g muesli
    125g natural low fat yogurt
    1tsp peanut butter
    12.5g whey protein shake

I also have a cappuccino sachet, so this brings it to 458 cals, carbs - 56, fat - 15, fibre - 6 and protein 28

:)
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is oats and protein, I have about 40-50 grams of oats with scoop of choc protein and water. Pop in microwave for couple of mins = choc porridge! Yummy and so quick and simple.

:flowerforyou:
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to up my protein lately and I have smoothies with protein powder. Mainly I just make my usual breakfast and stick it in the blender with the protein powder (skim milk, rolled oats, linseeds, banana and protein powder - I freeze the banana and it makes it really nice!).
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    you can make an excellent protein shake before you leave home, take it with you and keep it in the fridge before you drink it.

protein powder, but sub 1/2 the water for unsweetened (or sweetened) almond milk. throw in a banana and whatever other fruit you like. a spoonful of peanut butter (or PB2) tastes pretty good in there too!
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A good high protein breakfast I like to do is get the Chobani Greek Yogurt (0% Fat) singles and then I'll add a handful (about 10-12) almonds in with it. The crunch of the fruit and almonds together with the yogurt is really good. The protein combined is ~20g and its fairly low in the sugars.

Another I like to do is getting the all natural trail mix (read the package, some add sugar) to keep handy and munch on for protein snacks. Toasted soybeans/edamame are another good protein snack as well.

I don't know what all you like as far as protein goes.. there's always natural peanut butter also. Some people grinch at the fat in the PB, but its good fat. As long as you aren't downing half a jar per day, you might be ok.

Several people have also noted the smoothies also.. I've had to just kind of research "protein sources" and then find products that work for me made from them.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters that mentioned Greek Yogurt or a Protein Shake. I would use those as a snack though. For me I need a bit more to eat for my breakfast. Some hard boiled eggs could be a good snack as well. You could eat just the egg whites to get the protein and forgo the fat.

For my breakfast I have been eating a lot of plain oatmeal with some egg whites mixed in. I cook the oatmeal on the stove and after it is done cooking I add in 2-3 egg whites and mix it together until the egg whites are "cooked". You could make this at home and then just pop it in the microwave at work to warm it up.

Or scramble up some eggs at home with some turkey bacon or turkey sausage. Take those and a wrap to work, warm them all up and have an egg burrito.
  • slay0r
    Options
    That's a really good idea on the scrambled egg. If I get into work 20 mins earlier I can whack some scrambled eggs in the microwave and I can have pre-cooked the bacon for the week as it doesn't really bother me if it's hot or cold. Now all I need to do is see if there's a toaster downstairs and I've got scrambled egg, bacon and toast available! I'll get bored of that so I'll switch it up with some of the ideas you guys have had. Sounds so damn tasty I'm hungry now!
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    These can be preped in the morning or the night before and taken in with you.
    Its naturally sweet and high in protein.

1/2 a banana
    1 egg
    1-2 tablespoons of seeds of your choice (sunflower, sesame, pumpkin etc)
    Cinnemon - as much as you like
    1 scoop protein powder ( i use vanilla or natural flavor)
    Dash of skimmed milk (to thin if desired)
    low-cal spray oil (i use frylite)

Method:
    Mash the 1/2 a banana, safe the other half for later.
    Mix in the egg, seeds, cinnemon (i use about 1/2 a teaspoon) and protein powder (and milk is using)
    Spray a pan with the oil, allow to heat for a bit.
    Add the mixture to the pan and cook on a low heat until set (if the heat is too high it will burn and not set through)
    Flip over and allow the other side to cook.
    Transfer to a plate / container and sprinkle with cinnemon and slice over the rest of the banana (at this point you can top with other friuts or yougurt too if you like).

Yum! Its my fav breakfast :-)
  • slay0r
    Options
    Yuuuuuuum.

Turns out we don't have a toaster due to "health and safety"

I could laugh at that all day but I'll ignore it for productivity reasons ;)

So on thursday (need to go and buy ingredients tomorrow) I'll try making scrambled eggs in the microwave at work, some bread and I'll precook bacon and see how that goes. That way I can choose the quality of the bacon and eggs I buy as well because I'm sure the cafe will be using the cheap rubbish I don't want (the bacon tastes so salty I have to have 3-4 glasses of water after so my mouth isn't so dry.

Linz that sounds proper tasty, I might have to give that a go! Same for the protein porridge, sounds pretty nice choco style! (I use banana so it could be like a banana cream porridge haha)