New, looking for anything that helps shift my big belly!

Options
I'm 5'3ish, currently weighing 193lbs and hoping to get down to 100lbs at least. My methods are pretty drastic at the moment, but it's the only way I see fast results. Would like to do it the healthiest way so am open to hearing great ideas and tips and tricks. Thanks.

Replies

• BaldyLover
    BaldyLover Posts: 26
    Options
    Hiya,

I dropped nearly two stone in just over a month, but it was a drastic plan. Basically I ate nothing but carrots for a week or so, then started introducing small other things, like a tin of sardines, a small slice of cheese. I walked for up to four hours a day, then did an aerobics DVD for 1 hour 45 minutes. I also cut out all alcohol and only drank water. That helped shift it and now I'm working on maintaining it. I also used a slendertone flex for 2 hours a day to help firm up the muscles in my stomach.

I made sure I took a vitamin tablet throughout though, as the last thing I want is anaemia or osteoporosis for my efforts. Now I can have the odd naughty day without gaining more than a pound
  • billiammathias
    Options
    Wow that's really good! Well done.
    That's more excersice than I'm doing currently, maybe that's my downfall. I'll give this a try, thank you for the ideas!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Please tell me this is a troll thread...
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The healthiest way to lose weight is to set MFP to lose 2 lbs per week (starting out), eat lots of veggie, fruits and lean proteins. Exercise 30 to 60 minutes per day. Include strength training in your exercise. Eat back the majority of your exercise calories.

Take measurements and pictures and keep track of those along with keeping track of the pounds.

Read and learn everything you can about weight loss and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Keep what resonates with you and toss the rest.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You would be better off eating a sensible diet and doing modest exercise. Do something that you can maintain. If you eat too few calories for a period of time you risk slowing your metabolism in the long run. You didn't gain the weight overnight, it isn't going to come off overnight (although that would be nice!). Also make sure your goal is realistic. 100 lbs is very low, even for short people. Start small and go from there (focus on losing 10 % of your body weight or something similar). That will seem less overwhelming.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with following MFP's calories recommendations to lose 1lb a week - it's simple, sustainable and won't leave you weak and hungry, and you'll lose more than 1lb a week when you start out.

You can chose super-healthy foodstuffs if you want, but so long as you don't overdo your regular food and remain within your calorie goal you'll lose weight steadily.

Find a variety of exercise you enjoy and do whatever you choose five days a week, and if you feel you want to keep moving on the other days, go for a fast walk. Eat back your exercise calories, or at least a good proportion if you want to leave a margin on error.

Many of us have lost weight using MFP exactly as it's designed without cross-using it with complex calculations and drastic diet plans, just eat a bit less and move a bit more. It's as simple as that - my tip is use MFP :flowerforyou:
  • nmurkey3
    nmurkey3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post! its very helpful
  • MsAprilNurse
    Options
    I'm 5'3ish, currently weighing 193lbs and hoping to get down to 100lbs at least. My methods are pretty drastic at the moment, but it's the only way I see fast results. Would like to do it the healthiest way so am open to hearing great ideas and tips and tricks. Thanks.

If u get down to 100 lbs u will be seriously under weight. At 5'3ish u should be somewhere around 135 lbs.
  • emkelly27
    emkelly27 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    im 122 punds and hoping to stay. never had a problem with wait but need to get my strength on. since work i have been gainning new muscles and i like. now i would like to keep them and gain more so i can lift heavy things just as the guys do at work. any advice? feel free to add me i'm new
  • nmurkey3
    nmurkey3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good Day My name is Nicole and i'm trying to lose 60 pounds. i'm currently 6 '2' and my weight go back and forth from 258 to 260 pounds . i need some tips from people because this is almost the heaviest i have ever been. although i'm tall and my weight hides well i feel awful and very unattractive in this body. i need help and some advice from other people on what they are doing please feel free to give any advice..... thanks all.
  • billiammathias
    Options
    Why would you think that?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If u get down to 100 lbs u will be seriously under weight. At 5'3ish u should be somewhere around 135 lbs.

100 lbs for that height IS considered "underweight" on a BMI calculator, but I don't think you can make the "seriously underweight" judgement without knowing what the OP's build is or seeing how they look.

That being said..."drastic methods" are just plain silly, and generally result in health issues or the person gaining back the weight (and then some). Stick to a healthy plan that includes eating (enough) healthy foods, drinking lots of water and getting plenty of exercise that includes some strength training to help with your muscle mass.
  • Slhuth
    Slhuth Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great app...I was going to mention what a few already have....100 lbs. is really low for 5'3"...I am also 5'3" and weigh 120...I started at 156 and am now just working on maintaining and gaining more muscle...Just set your goals low to start and take your time...the weight will come off , you just have to be patient and not get discouraged...GOOD LUCK !!
  • billiammathias
    Options

Why would you think that?
  • billiammathias
    Options
    By drastic methods I just mean eating less than 500 calories and excersicing alot to lose whatever I've eaten, so far it's worked. I've lost half a stone in 5 days, but I want to do it the healthy way.. I just needed to budge a few pounds to get myself motivated.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I wish
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    By drastic methods I just mean eating less than 500 calories and excersicing alot to lose whatever I've eaten, so far it's worked. I've lost half a stone in 5 days, but I want to do it the healthy way.. I just needed to budge a few pounds to get myself motivated.
    What you're doing now is NOT a healthy way to lose, and more importantly, to maintain any loss you have. Methods like this will always work initially, especially when someone is very overweight, but its going to backfire and you'll end up gaining it back or having health issues from not getting enough nutrition. You need to find a method that is sustainable.

Use the MFP guidelines to lose weight at a reasonable rate, while eating 1200 NET calories a day (meaning if you burn 600 calories, you can eat up to 1800). This WILL work if you do it right (and you will probably lose more than 2 lbs a week average in the beginning). Good luck!
  • Por2gueseMama
    Por2gueseMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This cant be healthy. Just try out the MFP method of 1200 cals a day with working out 30-90 mins 3 times a week. Just try it for a few weeks and then judge by that what you should do. Ive tried the drastic diets and Ive come sick and so depressed, exhausted. I did the atkins diet losing 7lbs a week. After stoping in for a few weeks i agained a lot of my weight back and then some. Just try doing it this way I believe you will see results!
    -Angela
    ( Add me if you nneed anymore encouragement)
  • Por2gueseMama
    Por2gueseMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What you're doing now is NOT a healthy way to lose, and more importantly, to maintain any loss you have. Methods like this will always work initially, especially when someone is very overweight, but its going to backfire and you'll end up gaining it back or having health issues from not getting enough nutrition. You need to find a method that is sustainable.

Use the MFP guidelines to lose weight at a reasonable rate, while eating 1200 NET calories a day (meaning if you burn 600 calories, you can eat up to 1800). This WILL work if you do it right (and you will probably lose more than 2 lbs a week average in the beginning). Good luck!

I so agree here!!!
  • mona169
    mona169 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I was 103 lbs before I got pregnant. also with a herniated disc and 5'2", my Orthopedist wanted me to put less pressure on my spine, so he wants me to be around 100lbs. So, 100lbs is NOT at all underweight for 5'2"- 5'3"