Trying to figure out my bmr/tdee to lose weight!

Options
So I started out great losing weight. Down 22 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight last year. Woohoo. Then.... I stalled. Correction, gained a couple pounds. Okay, so after reading everyone posting about eating more to lose weight, I decided to research this whole bmr/tdee thing. Hey, if I can eat more to lose weight then I am all over that. I didn't get fat by not enjoying myself some food! There are many different theories on this though. I have been all over the internet. Google bmr/tdee calculators and see how many come up. Someone on here suggests fat2fitradio.com. Okay so I tried that. Figured out my bmi, bmr, yada yada. According to fat2fitradio, I should be consuming 2257 calories to reach my goal weight of 150 with 28% body fat. Sounds great. And easy. And almost 1000 calories over what I started consuming with mfp. Well it still scared me. Even though I see the research, and get the science behind it, my mind doesn't want to believe eat more to lose weight. So I increased to 1770 and occassionally eat back my exercise calories. Well, I am still doing the whole 2 steps forward 1 step back crap. I swear if I have to lose this same pound one more time..... So its back to the drawing board, or calculators to be exact. Again, according to fat2fit, I should be eating 2257 to lose weight. But then I found this site....

www.cordianet.com/calculator

And now I am confused. This calculator says I should only be eating about 1700 calories for weight loss. Another site I went to said 1850.

Can someone help me figure out, and explain, why I should follow fat2fit, over any of the other sites? (Cause really, if I can eat 2200 and lose, I am all over that!)

And please, if you feel it is your place to critize me for wanting to up my calories because you only eat 1200 and still lose weight, save it for another person. I am happy that works for you, but it doesn't work for me. I am only looking for input from people who HAVE ALREADY upped calories AND can look at that other site and explain WHY it is wrong. Thank you.

Replies

• Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    So I started out great losing weight. Down 22 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight last year. Woohoo. Then.... I stalled. Correction, gained a couple pounds. Okay, so after reading everyone posting about eating more to lose weight, I decided to research this whole bmr/tdee thing. Hey, if I can eat more to lose weight then I am all over that. I didn't get fat by not enjoying myself some food! There are many different theories on this though. I have been all over the internet. Google bmr/tdee calculators and see how many come up. Someone on here suggests fat2fitradio.com. Okay so I tried that. Figured out my bmi, bmr, yada yada. According to fat2fitradio, I should be consuming 2257 calories to reach my goal weight of 150 with 28% body fat. Sounds great. And easy. And almost 1000 calories over what I started consuming with mfp. Well it still scared me. Even though I see the research, and get the science behind it, my mind doesn't want to believe eat more to lose weight. So I increased to 1770 and occassionally eat back my exercise calories. Well, I am still doing the whole 2 steps forward 1 step back crap. I swear if I have to lose this same pound one more time..... So its back to the drawing board, or calculators to be exact. Again, according to fat2fit, I should be eating 2257 to lose weight. But then I found this site....

www.cordianet.com/calculator

And now I am confused. This calculator says I should only be eating about 1700 calories for weight loss. Another site I went to said 1850.

Can someone help me figure out, and explain, why I should follow fat2fit, over any of the other sites? (Cause really, if I can eat 2200 and lose, I am all over that!)

And please, if you feel it is your place to critize me for wanting to up my calories because you only eat 1200 and still lose weight, save it for another person. I am happy that works for you, but it doesn't work for me. I am only looking for input from people who HAVE ALREADY upped calories AND can look at that other site and explain WHY it is wrong. Thank you.

What did fat2fit give you as your BMR and your TDEE? If you give me those details I can work it out for you x
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

Bear in mind that all of these different calculators are using statistical averages to ESTIMATE your needs. It's absolutely not accurate and never will be unless you go through extensive and expensive testing. However it's a good starting point. The key is to monitor and respond. So pick one of them or some other figure in between and start with that. Increase you cals up if you are losing too fast, decrease if not fast enough.

And whilst we are on the subject of estimates, the nutritional values posted on food isn't exact either. It's also an estimate based on averages. Legally it must be no more than 20% out - which is a heck of a lot really.

So don't stress too much about the numbers being spot on, because you'll never manage that - take it as a guide to help you be in the right area.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

What did fat2fit give you as your BMR and your TDEE? If you give me those details I can work it out for you x

Harris Benedict bmr 1608
    Katch-McArdle bmr 1430

FYI, I work in a kitchen, on my feet 6 hours a day, not a desk job. I have been working out 6 days a week, for at least 35 minutes a day. Running, zumba, 30ds, stuff like that. And I am not losing weight. btw my diary is open.

The chart on fat2fit that says activity to lose weight have me a calories to consume of 2257.
  • tpittsley77
    Options
    [/quote]

Bear in mind that all of these different calculators are using statistical averages to ESTIMATE your needs. It's absolutely not accurate and never will be unless you go through extensive and expensive testing. However it's a good starting point. The key is to monitor and respond. So pick one of them or some other figure in between and start with that. Increase you cals up if you are losing too fast, decrease if not fast enough.

And whilst we are on the subject of estimates, the nutritional values posted on food isn't exact either. It's also an estimate based on averages. Legally it must be no more than 20% out - which is a heck of a lot really.

So don't stress too much about the numbers being spot on, because you'll never manage that - take it as a guide to help you be in the right area.
    [/quote]

I actually use a scale to weight my food and/or measured scoops etc. The problem is, with what I am eating, which is quite healthy I think, and how much I am working out, I am not losing. I will lose a few pounds, then put a couple back on. And I am not talking over a day. I only weight 1x week, same time of the week etc. I am not a scale addict!
  • Jenjaz1910
    Options

Harris Benedict bmr 1608
    Katch-McArdle bmr 1430

FYI, I work in a kitchen, on my feet 6 hours a day, not a desk job. I have been working out 6 days a week, for at least 35 minutes a day. Running, zumba, 30ds, stuff like that. And I am not losing weight. btw my diary is open.

The chart on fat2fit that says activity to lose weight have me a calories to consume of 2257.

Ok So go for the Katch BMR which is 1430 this is what you need to NET each day at least! The TDEE of 2257 is to maintain not lose so you deduct 20% which is 1805

So your daily goal should be to eat 1805 cals a day and only if you burn off OVER 375 clas you would need to eat some back to get your NET at or above your BMR.

Does that make sense? I upped my cals just over a month ago and it has kicked started my loss :) it is slow but I would rather slow and steady and keep it off than quick and gain it back x Any questions feel free to ask x

Edit: Maybe change your Macros to Carbs 40% Protein 30% and fat 30% x
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem.

Fat2Fit says 2300 for me.
    Another says 1920.

BMr is 1600.

I have gained weight every week.
    At 1800
    At 2000
    At 2300
    Gained one pound each week.

I didn`t lose inches, gained em. I exercised as I usually do all weeks. Funny that I would gain one lb at all of these levels. I was gaining one lb a week before trying to eat as little as possible before MFP.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Options

Another says 1920.

BMr is 1600.

At 1800
    At 2000
    At 2300

I didn`t lose inches, gained em. I exercised as I usually do all weeks. Funny that I would gain one lb at all of these levels. I was gaining one lb a week before trying to eat as little as possible before MFP.

Ok taking the fat2fit details you take your BMR as what you should aim to NET at or above each day, you can take 15-20% off of the TDEE given which is 1840 (minus 20%)

Aim to eat 1840daily BUT if you burn off more than 240 cals through exercise you should eat back some of those to get your NET at or above your BMR x

Edit: Your diary is closed but take a look through your diary and see what sort of food you are eating x
  • tpittsley77
    Options
    Fat2Fit says that 2257 is the amount of calories I need to LOSE weight. This is NOT my TDEE. If you figure my bmr, then figure my actual calorie expenditures, it's high. I am on my feet all day and do a lot of lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. Plus work out a lot.

I have also read that to LOSE weight, figure out your goal weight/bmi then do a bmr/tdee calculator to figure out how many calories you would need to consume to maintain that weight. I come up with the same amount of calories 2257. If you eat as if you are already at your goal weight and want to maintain that weight, you will eventually get to your goal weight. (People that weigh less need to consume less than a fat person. So this makes sense from a science standpoint.)

Don't get me wrong, I want to lose this slowly so that I can keep it off. But I actually want to continue losing weight.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Another says 1920.

BMr is 1600.

At 1800
    At 2000
    At 2300

Unless you have eaten up to maintenance plus 3500 calories each week, it is not a lb of fat .
    It is going to be water weight as you have replenished your glycogen.

Thsi is common when you first increase your calories. Give it a few more weeks at your current level, do not increase any more, and see what happens once your body is used to the new intake..
  • ladyraven68
    Options

Another says 1920.

BMr is 1600.

At 1800
    At 2000
    At 2300

Ok taking the fat2fit details you take your BMR as what you should aim to NET at or above each day, you can take 15-20% off of the TDEE given which is 1840 (minus 20%)

Aim to eat 1840daily BUT if you burn off more than 240 cals through exercise you should eat back some of those to get your NET at or above your BMR x

Edit: Your diary is closed but take a look through your diary and see what sort of food you are eating x

Fat to Fit gives your goal weight maintenance calories, not your current weight maintenance.
    You would not deduct 20% from that, unless you were close to goal and the difference between goal weight TDEE and actual TDEE was too small to make a deficit.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Options
    Fat2Fit says that 2257 is the amount of calories I need to LOSE weight. This is NOT my TDEE. If you figure my bmr, then figure my actual calorie expenditures, it's high. I am on my feet all day and do a lot of lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. Plus work out a lot.

I have also read that to LOSE weight, figure out your goal weight/bmi then do a bmr/tdee calculator to figure out how many calories you would need to consume to maintain that weight. I come up with the same amount of calories 2257. If you eat as if you are already at your goal weight and want to maintain that weight, you will eventually get to your goal weight. (People that weigh less need to consume less than a fat person. So this makes sense from a science standpoint.)

Don't get me wrong, I want to lose this slowly so that I can keep it off. But I actually want to continue losing weight.

The fat2fit site for me only told me TDEE not what to eat to lose weight! Except that I could deduct 15-20% (as I am under 30lbs to goal It is suggested I could do it) I don't think you said how much you have left to lose? x
  • katmont
    katmont Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options

I agree.
  • ladyraven68
    Options

The fat2fit site for me only told me TDEE not what to eat to lose weight! Except that I could deduct 15-20% (as I am under 30lbs to goal It is suggested I could do it) I don't think you said how much you have left to lose? x

I think you have mis-read the Fat2Fit information.

Under the calorie table it says

"How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down.

It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point"
  • tpittsley77
    Options
    I completely understand fat2fit. Someone else up the line told me to eat under that. Currently 5 ft 6. Weight 185. 41.8 % bmi. Goal 150 with 28% bmi. F2f tells me to eat 2257 to get to that goal. Other sites like the I've in my original post say way less. That us my confusion!
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    There's a group called Eat More to Lose Weight - I belong if you want to look at my groups to see it. I think they have very helpful information to explain all this. You might read though their posts. The only thing I would suggest is setting your macros (if you haven't already) and really try to hit those. They suggest carbs 40/Fat 30/Protein 30 and I did and worked really hard at eating more but hitting these macros and I started losing.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    try this calculator, it was posted yesterday in the Eat More to Lose group on here. You should also check that group out for a lot of information and great support.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    There's a group called Eat More to Lose Weight - I belong if you want to look at my groups to see it. I think they have very helpful information to explain all this. You might read though their posts. The only thing I would suggest is setting your macros (if you haven't already) and really try to hit those. They suggest carbs 40/Fat 30/Protein 30 and I did and worked really hard at eating more but hitting these macros and I started losing.

This to!

I upped my calories using this method 3 days ago and it broke me through a plateau and I am down 1.2 lbs. Since increasing my protein I am also hardly hungry at all.