Yogurt

Options
I have been trying all the name brands to see which one I liked.

Well I did not like any of them.....but put up with one brand because yogurt is a good breakfast food........or so I thought.

I took the time to read the labels at the store today:noway:

High fructose corn syrup
sugar
corn syrup

and a bunch of ingredients I didn't recognize as food.

I saw the Greek yogurt and read the label and there was sugar, but only 4 other ingred and they were all food............

WOW it was delish! I am :cry: the cartons are 1.89 a pc.............but given I throw out 1 to every 3 I eat I would rather have 2 of these than 6 of the others
:angry: Thanks a LOT to the person on MFP who made me start reading the labels:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Replies

• Shelley130
    Options
    I haven't tried the Greek yogurt yet but I have read that people add sugar, stevia, splenda, etc. to it. Did you think it needed extra sweetening?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Oh no.............mine had sugar in it as it was flavored with real blueberries.

But I read the plain Greek yogurt, which had no sugar. It tastes like sourcream, and I have used it on my baked potatoes before.

I am going to try that next time. I can add my stevia, blueberries or strawberries and see if I like it.

It has a thicker consistancy, and this was more appealing to me than the watered down ones I have tried
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You can really save some money and make your own out of the yogurt of your choosing, given it is not flavored. It is quite easy if you look it up. You just heat up some milk, 1/4 cup of yogurt pour into a quart jar. Pour hot water into a cooler set your homemade mixture into cooler and forget about it. Five hours later and 2 dollars less spent you have yogurt!:flowerforyou:
  • nobleps
    Options
    I read labels too for the ingredients. I eat weight watchers yogurt. Love many for the flavors especially amaretto cheesecake. Makes a wonderful desert with only 100 calories It has sucralose . After giving up chocolate, candies, cakes, pies, cookies etc(!!) I need something to enjoy! :bigsmile: They have been $0.50 ea at Walmart. :flowerforyou:
  • yentasdoitbetter
    yentasdoitbetter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    if i picked apart every decently healthy food i liked...i'd never eat again! just eat the yogurt! lol its satisfying, somewhat healthy, and filling...and there's soooo many that tastes delicious...ENJOY!

i found some good ones...

YO CRUNCH - cheesecake with graham cracker
    YOPLAIT - Boston cream pie (tastes and looks just like the cream inside a boston cream donut)
    i also heard the light n fit cantaloup and watermelon are delicious too
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    if i picked apart every decently healthy food i liked...i'd never eat again! just eat the yogurt! lol its satisfying, somewhat healthy, and filling...and there's soooo many that tastes delicious...ENJOY!

i found some good ones...

YO CRUNCH - cheesecake with graham cracker
    YOPLAIT - Boston cream pie (tastes and looks just like the cream inside a boston cream donut)
    i also heard the light n fit cantaloup and watermelon are delicious too

That was my point.............I DON'T like the other yogurts!!

I love the Greek........my thoughts and sharing only.

To me if you eat a yogurt of ANY kind instead of a chocolate cake, you are making healthier choices.
  • jnikitow
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt too. I agree it is very expensive. I usually buy the plain Fage brand and add some honey to it. It gives it the sweetness it needs.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, it is a little cheaper, to get the bigger container and portion it yourself.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light and Fit has the lowest everything that I have found. Its good too!
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Not a greek yogurt fan... I tried a couple flavors but it just wasn't working. I love Dannon. No high fructose and tastes great. I've also had the allnatural which is super good too.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    While we are talking about yogurt....
    I am a reformed yogurt hater. I saw that Food Inc. Movie and got some really excellent coupons for Stoneyfield Farms yogurt from the movie theatre. I thought- heck it's free- I'll give it a shot.

It's pretty darn awesome. I eat the lowfat strawberry or french vanilla kind. They do fruit on the bottom or smooth and creamy (like I ate for breakfast this morning). Everything's organic. It's got more sugar than I would like- but it tastes fan-tab-ulous- and has no funky chemically ingredients. It's more expensive than other kinds, but since I can happily eat it and I've never been able to choke down any other sort of yogurt, it's worth it to me.

Jeanie- I think they have a greek version as well in this brand. Might be worth a shot if you're interested in organic/natural/clean foods. (Maybe called Oikos or something like that.)

:happy:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I am a reformed yogurt hater. I saw that Food Inc. Movie and got some really excellent coupons for Stoneyfield Farms yogurt from the movie theatre. I thought- heck it's free- I'll give it a shot.

It's pretty darn awesome. I eat the lowfat strawberry or french vanilla kind. They do fruit on the bottom or smooth and creamy (like I ate for breakfast this morning). Everything's organic. It's got more sugar than I would like- but it tastes fan-tab-ulous- and has no funky chemically ingredients. It's more expensive than other kinds, but since I can happily eat it and I've never been able to choke down any other sort of yogurt, it's worth it to me.

Jeanie- I think they have a greek version as well in this brand. Might be worth a shot if you're interested in organic/natural/clean foods. (Maybe called Oikos or something like that.)

That was the one I tried!! It was so good!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt but it is so pricey! I just go for the plain, fat free or low fat yogurt. I found Meijer brand is excellent, Kroger brand also, or Dannon. More protein, no extra sugar, and great w/ some frozen berries! :bigsmile:
  • hgirl1021
    Options

this is what i buy too. it's cheat, 80 calories, good for breakfast or a snack. healthier than other things already mentioned. i add some raw almonds and its a great snack. they have a lot of yummy flavors too...
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

That's my favorite, too! :smile:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Greek yogurt. It's so thick and creamy delicious! I eat it often, so it's worth it to me to spend the extra for it. I get it in a big tub and cringe every time I go through with it, but it has about 8 servings in it, so I figure I'm saving by buying the big tub. Fage is the best of course. Didn't care for Oikos as much...I put everything in my yogurt: granola, honey, dried fruit, chocolate sauce, chocolate chips. I haven't tried it savory yet, but I did have some tzatziki the other day which is made from Greek yogurt. MMM so versatile!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMMM......................

Fage and Greek Goddess are my BFF!!!!!

LOL, I could eat either one of them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.

I add stevia and berries to mine and it most wonderful!!!

And the Full fat Fage has only 7 grams of carbs in a whole cup which is very filling and sticks to your ribs for hours.

The Greek Goddess has 4 grams of carbs in a cup of it, tastes heavenly, but doesn't seem to stick with me for quite as long.
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of yogurt either but I realized last night in the store that Fiber One makes a yogurt, not just bars. I had a coupon for $1.00 off a 6 pack so I got the Key Lime Pie flavor and it was surprisingly good.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I've been buying the Fiber One ones for my husband, and he LOVES them! (He generally dislikes anything "healthy").
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

This is the one I get too. I like the honey or blueberry. I like it because of the amount of protein in it.
    That was the one I tried!! It was so good!
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ugh. What timing! I bought two cups of yogurt to try yesterday. I wanted to eat that for breakfast instead of a carby NutraGrain Bar.

I bought the Weight Watcher Amaretto Cheesecake and the Yo-Crunch Light Oreo. They were both so nasty to me! I couldn't even get more than two spoonfuls down before I gave up!

I guess I must be in that 1% of people that hate yogurt lol