Should I get rid of it?

Options
I bought some Lean Turker burgers that I assumed were going to be better than the lean hamburger meat. I also bought some Sara Lee 100% whole wheat hamburger buns yesterday. I have no clue why I didn't read the labels on these two items or why I assumed they would be healthy. The hamburger buns were 220 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 7 grams of sugar. The Lean Turkey burgers have 9 grams of Fat!!!

Should I get rid of these foods or would you recommend I space them out and eat really good for the remainder of the day?

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    In my opinion those are not that bad if you can keep your others meals to a mininmum..I buy lean turkey burgers all the time and I havent had n e problems loosing weight:smile::flowerforyou:
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    I'm surprised the buns have that much fat and sugar!

As many calories as those items have, it's probably not as bad as a regular burger... Give one a try. If you like them, then you have an alternative to beef burgers. And yes, if you do eat one, you should eat lightly the rest of the day.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    I bought some Lean Turker burgers that I assumed were going to be better than the lean hamburger meat. I also bought some Sara Lee 100% whole wheat hamburger buns yesterday. I have no clue why I didn't read the labels on these two items or why I assumed they would be healthy. The hamburger buns were 220 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 7 grams of sugar. The Lean Turkey burgers have 9 grams of Fat!!!

Should I get rid of these foods or would you recommend I space them out and eat really good for the remainder of the day?
    If you can find some all-white turkey burgers, they'll be less fat than that. And they actually taste even better in my opinion. I had one for dinner tonight, in fact. For buns, I absolutely love the Oroweat Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins. They are delicious, and they have only 100 calories, 1 gram of fat, and 2 grams of sugar. Plus they have 5 grams of fiber! Did I mention they are delicious?
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options

If you can find some all-white turkey burgers, they'll be less fat than that. And they actually taste even better in my opinion. I had one for dinner tonight, in fact. For buns, I absolutely love the Oroweat Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins. They are delicious, and they have only 100 calories, 1 gram of fat, and 2 grams of sugar. Plus they have 5 grams of fiber! Did I mention they are delicious?
    i love the oroweat whole wheat sandwich thins ... i had one for lunch .... i used pesto sauce turkey pepperoni and lite mozz. cheese and put it in the broiler for 2 minutes IT WAS YUMMY
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The only reason I see to eat turkey or chicken ground meats, bacon, etc. is if you don't like the beef/ pork varieties (like me). Don't toss them though- I would imagine you can fit them into your diet pretty easily.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    9 grams of fat is pretty low for ground meat, to be honest... Knock off the bun or opt for a lower calories option and keep the meat.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Use it sparingly. Put a little in chili or use it with sausage in spagetti or something. I just use less, if I must have it.
  • klaflamme
    klaflamme Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I was just disguised when I read the labels because I know there has to be some better options. I have tried the Orowheat Whole Wheat Sandwhich Thins. My daughter and I enjoyed them! I didn't see them at the grocery store though.

I will look for the all-white turkey burgers. I usually get the lean meat when having hamburgers but I thought the turkey would be better. I compared the difference b/w the lean 90-95% hamburger with the Turkey patties I bought - the lean hamburger meat had a lot less fat in them - so this was really disappointing. BUT it's a good reminder to ALWAYS read the nutrition labels b/c the advertising on the front can be misleading.

I don't always eat hamburgers but I seemed to be getting tired of tilapia which I ate a lot the past two weeks. Anyway, I'm thankful my scale did not go up this morning! It was actually down a little.

Thanks for the replies! I will use in moderation and eat light when planning this meal.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Eat the burger w/out the buns. You can freeze the buns for another time. I had a burger made from ground veal for lunch....that had 8 grams of fat and I don't think that's too bad.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options

I was just disguised when I read the labels because I know there has to be some better options. I have tried the Orowheat Whole Wheat Sandwhich Thins. My daughter and I enjoyed them! I didn't see them at the grocery store though.

I will look for the all-white turkey burgers. I usually get the lean meat when having hamburgers but I thought the turkey would be better. I compared the difference b/w the lean 90-95% hamburger with the Turkey patties I bought - the lean hamburger meat had a lot less fat in them - so this was really disappointing. BUT it's a good reminder to ALWAYS read the nutrition labels b/c the advertising on the front can be misleading.

I don't always eat hamburgers but I seemed to be getting tired of tilapia which I ate a lot the past two weeks. Anyway, I'm thankful my scale did not go up this morning! It was actually down a little.

Thanks for the replies! I will use in moderation and eat light when planning this meal.
    Jennie-O makes an all-white turkey burger. It has 7 grams of fat, but it's a bigger patty, with 30 grams of protein (much better than 19 grams of protein and 9 grams of fat). The only place I've found them is at Fred Meyer. Kirkland (Costco) has one that has 35 grams of protein and 6 grams of fat. And it tastes great!

Jill
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    i love the oroweat whole wheat sandwich thins ... i had one for lunch .... i used pesto sauce turkey pepperoni and lite mozz. cheese and put it in the broiler for 2 minutes IT WAS YUMMY

I love these too! I was so excited when I found them. I also use them for mini pizzas when I have a craving!