Vegan Vs. Bacon

Options
13»

Replies

• iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options

I once heard somebody say "don't eat anything that your great-grandparents wouldn't recognize as food." To me, that makes perfect sense.

I think we all have to do what feels right for each of us and we have to stop beating ourselves up so much for not following rules that we make up for ourselves along the way.

I love this!
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    So the veggie police don't hunt me down if I sneak in meat every once in awhile huh? Good to know. My problem is that I have a hubby and to pre-teen boys who've promised to take over the kitchen if I try to push the veggies. Little do they know I've been swapping out the ground meat for veggie meat in the spaghetti for the last month. It makes me laugh a little (on the inside) every time the compliment the dinner. :)

Just eat more veggies and a balance diet. I know that is cliche but it really helps, you don't have to be vegan and vegan doesn't mean healthy. What if you become vegan but still not caring to the veggies and just eat other junk instead? You'll still be unheathy. The ground meat in the spaghetti is just fine and nothing unhealthy but along with the ground meat you can incorporate other veggies into the spaghetti so its more filling by portion size and balanced. I enjoy putting chop up tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms and onion in mine, along with some ground up lean meat (if I have it at the moment)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It was a joke? And how do you know that I don't like vegan food? I actually was vegan for a while and enjoyed making raw and dehydrated food but decided that it wasn't for me. I happen to love a lot of vegan food... chill out before you freak out on a little joke I made.

Not really sure how my response constitutes a freak out, or how I was supposed to infer from text that it was a joke. Sounds like somebody needs to take their own advice.

It was pretty clearly a joke to me. I think you read it wrong, based on your reaction. She was calling veganism itself a "skinny *****," not someone practicing the lifestyle.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    you could make tofu bacon which is pretty good as well. Sometimes, its the flavorings that you would miss, not exactly the meat. So the smoked flavor in this might do the trick for you.

Here is a recipe for Tofu Bacon

This marinated smoked tofu fries up into crisp veggie bacon! Freezing the tofu and thawing helps to improve the texture, and makes it easier to slice."

Ingredients:
    1 (7.5 ounce) package firm tofu (smoked if you can find it),
    frozen and thawed
    1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
    1 tablespoon water
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 tablespoons margarine

Directions:
    1. Slice the thawed tofu into very thin slices (like bacon). In a medium bowl, stir together the yeast, water, maple syrup, liquid smoke, soy sauce, onion powder and garlic powder. Place the tofu strips into the bowl to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
    2. Heat butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Quickly fry tofu strips until crisp, turning once, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels, and serve immediately
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    If it's that you don't want to support factory farming. You could still enjoy a little of your favorite meats once in a while by buying from a local farm where the animals are raised and slaughtered humanely it's a little more costly but to me worth it to make sure you are still supporting your own ethics and morals about factory farming. If you have to have bacon then at least you know where it came from and that it had a good life. I eat fish that my fiance catches, and I feel much better about it because it was wild and free and I must say the taste is hands down way better, no comparison.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    It was pretty clearly a joke to me. I think you read it wrong, based on your reaction. She was calling veganism itself a "skinny *****," not someone practicing the lifestyle.

Apologies then - my mistake.
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It was a joke? And how do you know that I don't like vegan food? I actually was vegan for a while and enjoyed making raw and dehydrated food but decided that it wasn't for me. I happen to love a lot of vegan food... chill out before you freak out on a little joke I made.

Not really sure how my response constitutes a freak out, or how I was supposed to infer from text that it was a joke. Sounds like somebody needs to take their own advice.

Yup. Hey - even IF someone called me a skinny b*tch I'd take it as a compliment! Haha maybe I'm just a weirdo :tongue:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

I once heard somebody say "don't eat anything that your great-grandparents wouldn't recognize as food." To me, that makes perfect sense.

I think we all have to do what feels right for each of us and we have to stop beating ourselves up so much for not following rules that we make up for ourselves along the way.

I love this!

My grandparents were from MN and it took them about 20years to recognize tacos and burritos as food when they moved to CA. This argument makes no sense.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Is vegan some kind of low fat bacon? Sounds kind of yucky
  • JmeHarris
    JmeHarris Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I agree with the idea of avoiding processed foods, I've already given up the middle of the grocery store in favor of the produce/meat/dairy sections. I think I'll take a month or two to gradually wean the majority of meat out of my diet and then see how I feel about cutting it out entirely. Since I'm unable to eat lactose, egg, or bean products, protein is a problem for me. That's why I've been playing with the veggie meat. Cross your fingers for me. : )