Need Motivation

Options
Yetibite
Yetibite Posts: 38 Member
Hello. I am 40 and have major back problems. I Had spinal fusion 6 months ago. I was unable to move much for close to 2 months and am still limited in what I can do. Between the medications (steroids) and the lack of activity I have gained over 40lbs. and lost alot of muscle! I have struggled with weight my whole life. I was able to keep it within 20lbs of my ideal but now I am 60lbs. over which is not helping my back at all. I got in the habit of eating anything that I wanted because that was all I had to take my mind off the pain. I have been in physical therapy and they are pleased with my progress but I am not! Now it is almost time for me to go back to work and I am way too out of shape. It is time for me to take owner ship for using this injury as an excuse to eat crap and be lazy.

Replies

• TracyGA
    TracyGA Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your injury. It must be really frustrating to WANT to be able to get moving, but to be limited by doctor's orders. The most important thing is your health and well-being, so don't overdo it and risk further injury to your back.

Move whenever and however you can and really focus on your eating.

Celebrate every single step you take toward your goal. It may take you longer than you would like, but you will get there!!!

Best of luck to you!
  • BaldyLover
    BaldyLover Posts: 26
    Options
    I think the key would first to not let unhealthy food into the house in the first place - that way you can eat but only good things :o)

Let pain guide you. If it starts to hurt - stop. Start with gentle exercise to build back up and increase it daily but stay comfortable.
  • Yetibite
    Options
    For my exercise I will be following the guide lines set by my therapists. I do not want to risk further injury. I will be walking farther every day. Unfortunately all the medication I am on increase appetite and cause weight gain. I am struggling with insane cravings mainly for fatty or high sugar foods. I have been keeping my diet in check for the last 4 days and I hope it will get easier and the craving will subside soon. Thanks for the kind words. Feel free to friend me. I can use all the help I can get!
  • flanchick
    flanchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey to recovery! I LOVE your profile pic.

I'm over 40 and trying to lose 30 pounds to start. I'm also fighting the salty /high sugar cravings!
  • tbabe1988
    tbabe1988 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have also had my share of steroids. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2006 and weighed 140. I have gained 65 pounds since then and have managed to lose 20. I am trying to get back to my original weight and I know it will take a long time, My advice is to be happy with yourself and focus on healing your back. You will see results by not stressing so much. Water therapy is wonderful and safe. Maybe you should try water aerobics.
  • Yetibite
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I believe I will get good support here!