Going to an MLB game, what should I eat?

Options
I have tickets to the Red Sox game tonight and am leaving to go straight from work (I won't have time to prepare myself a meal). My goal is 1800 cals a day, and according to my input of what I'm eating today during the day I have 972 calories open for gametime eats. There is a Subway on my way, so my first thought is to pick up a sandwich to eat on the way since I obviously can't take food into Fenway. I know it's high sodium, but so is anything I would get at the game. I figure for today I won't concentrate so much on sodium, since regardless of what I do it will be sky high, and should instead focus on keeping my calories around goal. MFP, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get the Subway, only because I'd still want to eat at the park. I'd get a burger there. And peanuts. And wine. But that's just me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
    Options
    Load up before the game. You can last approximately 3 hours without eating anything else.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • adet983
    adet983 Posts: 138
    Options
    hotdog.....nacho....and mountain dew...i never let the diet get in the way of the ballpark experience
  • Deutsche1999
    Options
    eat something high protein... it will keep you full longer and satisfied longer , the subway chicken breast sandwich ( I toss half the bread) works great... also get a back of almonds to stick in your pocket.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I would get a hot dog. Cause thats the only place I will eat them. But only one :) And then maybe a beer and some popcorn. I have no self control at ball games :flowerforyou:
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    The local fare...it's about the experience, not the calories.

Let me know when you visit a Phillies game, I'll treat you to a cheesesteak... :noway:
  • jbdaddy1920
    jbdaddy1920 Posts: 32
    Options
    I am very jealous you are going to the Sox game! I go up there once a year to catch a few games :) About you eating, go to the game have a good time and eat whatever you want. Some nachos, a hot dog, etc is not going to kill you this one time. Go out and enjoy yourself. That is my opinion :)
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Can't you just bring the Subway in there? At Progressive Field (Cleveland) you can bring food in...
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Um don't worry about it, and just have fun! Walk up to Mass ave first, and grab some cupcakes at sweet cupcakes first the are amazing, or go to Newbury street if you have time, and grab a slice and some wine at scoozi! But you could also get rained out today since it is raining here right now anyway!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I would also just enjoy the game experience...and probably get a hot dog. That said, I live near Philly and have been to many games at the old Vet and a few at the new Citizens Bank Park and you are absolutely allowed to bring your own food in. You might want to look into that option.
  • JaimeNay
    JaimeNay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I always eat before I go to games. Stuff some mixed nuts in your purse to snack on during the game, that way you don't feel deprived when everyone around you is eating.
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    mmmm hot dogs, nachos, pretzels, cotton candy, peanuts.

whatever, i go all out at baseball games :blushing:
  • tchr1ann
    tchr1ann Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ Mhankosk... you have to get a Fenway frank! (It's only 209 calories w/ bun!) It's all about moderation. You don't want to go and be deprived... it won't make you feel good and you're more likely to "fall off the wagon". Good luck and have fun!!!

(On a side note... I'll be heading to Fenway/Boston in late July... do you have any hotel/where I should stay suggestions? I've been to Boston/Fenway 10+ times, but I usually stayed with a friend in Somerville... this will be my first hotel stay and am not sure where to stay). THANKS!
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would enjoy a hot dog, some popcorn and a diet soda at the game (presuming you can get that at Fenway... never been there). That should be fairly close to your calorie goal and besides... the whole point is to enjoy yourself and the game! Cheers!
  • DeepBreaths
    DeepBreaths Posts: 39
    Options
    I think this is a great time to test your powers of moderation. Have a hot dog and enjoy yourself! Not two hotdogs and a pail of soda.

Plus walking those stadiums can get exhausting if youre in an upper deck, maybe you burned enough calories to enjoy that hot dog!

Have a wonderful time!
  • DeepBreaths
    DeepBreaths Posts: 39
    Options
    PS Doesn't Fenway have the pork tenderloin on a stick? That might be good too ;)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I just went to Yankee Stadium on Saturday. I brought my own food in an insulated bag. My husband had garlic fries (yummmmmmy) and I had string cheese, and a clementine. I also snuck in three of his delicious fries =)
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    hotdog.....nacho....and mountain dew...i never let the diet get in the way of the ballpark experience

Agreed... it's OK to stray on special occasions.
  • violabeatle
    violabeatle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks EVERYONE for the awesome advice! I will definitely look into seeing what I can pick up on the way (there's a CVS on every corner up here) and if I can bring in my own food :)

One more detail I should add... I had a very bad weekend and put 1.5 lbs back on, so today the calories really will matter!

PS, I'm actually originally from Philly (I'm a student in the Boston area) so for those of you posting as Phillies fans they are my #1! I love Citizens Bank Park and when I was little I got to spend a game behind home plate at the Vet :D
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    Be sure to get ice cream with sprinkles in a hat!

Enjoy yourself! One meal isn't going to kill you! :)