Help! I started at gym and my weight went up!!!

Options
is this normal? I have stuck to my nutritionist's diet plan to a tee. I feel awesome and can notice a difference in my clothes, but I have GAINED weight!!! I am so desperate to lose pounds. I'm not quitting since I feel so good, but just am wondering what is going on with me....

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Water weight.. Keep going.. it will go away.
  • Choosing2baLoser
    Options
    Patience, my friend! If you are noticing a difference and feeling great, then ignore the scale. You will drive yourself crazy paying too much attention to that thing! Remember the talk you gave me last week? :) Keep it up, it will pay off! LY
  • Kbeatty32
    Kbeatty32 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Keep it up and the weight will come off, I promise! All of your new muscles need water, so your body is retaining more water. Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP! :)
  • srriley66
    srriley66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your positive remarks!!! I have to believe this is water gain now and maybe just weigh about once a week!! Once again, thank you!!!
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    Hi! I just joined a Gym on April 2nd. I joined a Weight Loss Challenge for Women. Mine went up too! The very first week. They said it is normal. Also, that it may do that throughout or stabilize. You may be gaining lean mass. Which is good. The lean mass will burn fat. You may also notice your appetite going up. My personal trainer explained the same to me. :) I look forward to any change. Be it Stamina, Strength, Inches Lost or pounds! :) And especially, CONFIDENCE! Keep going! :)
  • montiy
    montiy Posts: 32
    Options
    If you're doing any weight training, too, it's also possible that your weight gain is muscle mass (which is a good thing). If you notice a difference in your clothes, then you're losing there...so don't get discouraged!
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Your muscles retain water in order to heal. Normal. Weighing in once a week is a very good idea since your weight will fluctuate daily.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    is this normal? I have stuck to my nutritionist's diet plan to a tee. I feel awesome and can notice a difference in my clothes, but I have GAINED weight!!! I am so desperate to lose pounds. I'm not quitting since I feel so good, but just am wondering what is going on with me....

This is precisely why I try not to weigh in more than once a month. Between water weight fluxes and my body trading in fat for muscle, the scale doesn't always tell the whole story. My advice is to weigh once a month, and measure inches and bodyfat about every six weeks or so. It's alot less frustrating that way.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    You're building muscle, congratulations! Give it time, the scale will catch up eventually, just stick with it! Give the scale a break and go by your measurements and how your clothes fit for now.
  • Cycl0tr0n
    Cycl0tr0n Posts: 52
    Options
    I have to totally second (fifteenth? :D) the points about water weight and about weighing once a week. I sometimes find that I weigh up to six pounds more the day or two after a hard bike ride than I did before the ride started! I try to simply track the trends -- as long as my overall weight trend is downward over the course of a month or so, I'm happy. If it's steady, I try to note how my clothes are fitting. Right now, both my clothes and my friends are telling me that I'm taking off the fat, even though average of the scale hasn't budged in a while.

One other bit to remember is that muscle weighs more than fat. If you're putting on muscle and losing fat, you may sometimes see upticks in your overall weight, but as long as you're looking and feeling better -- keep doing what you're doing!
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Please look at this girl's pictures! its a AWHA moment!! she is one pound over the weight she started with, but is all toned up with muscle!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof