Female Question.....TOM

Options
So, it's TOM :sad: . I was just wondering if I should still be trying to drink so much water. It seems to be making me worse. Maybe I should reduce my sodium for the duration? Do any of you ladies do/eat anything differently during TOM?

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Counter-intuitively, drinking more water actually helps with water retention.

I've read (in several sources) that your metabolism ramps up by about 300 calories per day during our special lady time, so if I have crazy hunger (a big symptom for me) I feed myself. I try to make sure that my carb/protein/fat stays pretty balanced, as all I want during that time are carbs (usually salty or sweet ones).

If your sodium is high, you might think of reducing it, but there's not a whole lot you can do for the bloat, IMHO.:flowerforyou:
  • Veronica320
    Options
    Thanks! Never would have thought metabolism would actually increase. As far as my sodium intake is concerned, I'm always way under the 2500 MFP suggests. I just thought maybe I should consider reducing it even more. I bloat so badly that I actually look about 5-6 months pregnant.
  • slimmingmom
    Options
    I would reduce sodium for sure, but DO make sure to still drink as much water as usual if not more!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of water during TOM... and i always have my sodium intake to 1500mg a day.. and i find it helps with bloating... and also retaining water... I didn't know you burn extra calories while having TOM... And for salty snacks i try to snack on Nuts, Low fat string cheese.. Nothing sweet or fatty even though i crave chocolate more then ever during this time i've just learned to say NO...
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I drink a TON of water during the first couple of days. Having a full bladder seems to help with the cramping, so I aim to fill my bladder up as frequently as possible! :wink:

My mom swears by primrose oil. She said it made a world of difference when she was younger.
  • acrylicrocks
    Options
    A few weeks ago I had a similar question and someone told me lots of stretching helps, personally I can't seem to do much of nothing, not even stretch! I am a runner so to not even want to stretch is awful. Lots of calcium is supposed to help and as for sugar, a little bit of dark chocolate works wonders. Its only like 180 cals if you eat the whole bar. Dark chocolate hershey kisses are good, then you have to consciously open each one before it makes it to your mouth! Other than that, good luck!

:wink:
  • kankan213
    Options
    Eat bananas!!!
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I always thought when you were bloated it was good to drink lots of water because it helps reduce the bloating
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You should continue to drink plenty of water-even increase your intake-during TOM. It will help you to flush excess sodium, which will help with the bloating.

TOM cravings are a killer, aren't they? I crave, and I mean CRAVE, McDonald's and Taco Bell food during TOM. Something about all the salt and fat just makes me crazy for them. I think I probably gain back two pounds every month thanks to that. :grumble:
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    OVerall, I would listen to your own body to see what works for you. If more or less water works, go for it.

For me, a couple of days before my TOM, and during, I take magnesium and up my intake of Omega-3s and I find it really really helps. I've been able to go from persrciption pain meds to a couple of Midol a day.