Starting Over

Options
I'm putting this in writing and hopefully I will get a "wake-up" call, since seeing it in "black & white" may help. I haven't logged in my food OR exercised for several weeks now. I have a real hard time with this heat here in my area but desperately need to lose about 100 pounds. I'm really looking forward to some cooler weather. I simply haven't been motivated and I know a lot of my problem is a problem with my hip. Some days are better than others and it seems like the only exercise that is even remotely comfortable is my recumbent stationery bike. I enjoy almost all foods and decreasing my intake is not a problem. I simply need some encouragement to do what I know in my heart that I need to do. Can anyone relate to all this? Thanks in advance....

Caralyn

Replies

• kankan213
    Options
    There are SO many people that can relate to you. It is really hard, especially in the beginning because there isn't any prior reinforcements there, but you just have to believe that you can do it.
    It's important to remember that YOU have to do it, no one else can do it for you and it won't just go away.

Everytime you slip up eating, just start over.
    Everytime you don't want to exercise, just do it. I always tell myself, "If I would have started working out when I thought about it, I would be done by now." and it gets me off my butt!

Be positive :) you will do it.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl.... :flowerforyou: :love:

Hang in there! I used to live in Phoenix and had a really tough time in the heat too! :explode: :mad:

I worked out mostly in an air-conditioned gym and got in pretty good shape.

I'm in Portland now, praying for sun! :sad:
    Best of luck to you! :love: :flowerforyou:
  • missbabybee
    Options
    I know how you feel. I always thought I was just a little overweight, but the way I felt the day I jumped on the scale and realized that I was more than just a "little overweight" was my motivation. For me, I needed someone to hold me accountable. I chose my mom and my husband as my "coaches" and I check in with them on my progress and I turn to them when I feel like I'm losing motivation. The want to see me succeed and beat the weight so they are always willing to lend an ear and to be my personal cheering section.

The most important thing is that you recognize that you want to do this. I'm not just out to lose weight, I'm on a mission to live a healthier lifestyle. I decided that it was important to get professional help. I went to see my doctor and a nutritionist. That has been really helpful.

Good luck to you on your journey...
    :flowerforyou:
  • Caralyn
    Caralyn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate it more than I can say.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try swimming! Swimming is easy on the joints and keeps you cool. A membership to a YMCA or other fitness pool club might cost a bit more than at-home workouts but ask yourself how much weight loss is worth to you. Swimming with a friend can be really fun and relaxing. If you're not much of a swimmer, try treading water for 3-5 minutes, then swimming 5-10 laps, and aquajogging (with an aquajogger belt in the deep end) for about 20-25 minutes.

I love swimming because I don't feel sweaty :laugh:
  • Caralyn
    Options
    Yes, swimming would be a great option and I especially like the "no sweaty feeling". I do know that I need to get my priorities straight, also, because making the time and effort to do this is really a drag for me - as I'm sure it is for many people.
  • Caralyn
    Options
    Yes, swimming would be a great option and I especially like the "no sweaty feeling". I do know that I need to get my priorities straight, also, because making the time and effort to do this is really a drag for me - as I'm sure it is for many people.
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    Glad your here! I have eczema & anybody who has it knows that heat makes it worse.

Anyway I use the recumbent bike also & I love it:heart: . It is all I can do since I had back surgery. 60 minutes a day & I'm finally noticing the lbs coming off!

Stay within your calories, drink your liquids & get the fan out or AC...put on a good movie or book & your do Great:smokin:
  • angiered
    angiered Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Caralyn, I've found that I do a LOT better if I take 10 minutes before bedtime and plan my food for the next day. That way I don't have to scoot to the computer to log every bite I eat, because it's already in there. I can change it if what I planned just doesn't look yummy or add to it if I need to :embarassed: lol.

If you're bored with your workout, you can go to excercisetv.com and they have a bunch of free full length workout videos. You can try something totally new! (I did a ballet based workout the other day that handed my butt on a platter. :laugh: )
  • Caralyn
    Options
    angiered,

Yes, I usually do plan my meals ahead and log them in prior to eating them and this helps a lot. My issue right now is getting my exercise in. I'm afraid I will be looking at having hip replacement, which I'm dreading because I've already had two total knee replacements. As I previously said, my stationery recumbent bike seems to be the only form of exercise I can do right now. When I do it (although I need to be more consistent), I do it for 30 minutes and it burns about 70-75 calories - depending on the speed. Thanks for your input......

Caralyn