Exhausted after lifting weights

Options
I am sure this has been answered before but I could really use some help. I just started lifting weights recently. I started out with small hand weights and then saw some research on the heavier lifting. So I did some lifting with heavier weights, not much, things like bicep curls, overhead press, squats and lat pull downs. Anyways, my problem now is that I am absolutely physically exhausted. My muscles feel so weak. I have had this happen twice now when I lift. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem or how to avoid it. I worry that I will just not do it because I don't like the way I feel when I am finished. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I :heart: that feeling. It means I've accomplished something! If my muscles don't feel anything, then I'm not actually working them and am basically just wasting my time (hate wasting my valuable time!!). Not sore or painful, just a little like jello :wink:
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty spent after a hard workout. I do a protein shake after working out, drink tons of water, and I've had to be very diligent about getting enough sleep.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about immediately after, then I think you're probably feeling like you're supposed to. I've always been told to lift "to the point of fatigue," meaning basically that the muscles have been exhausted and couldn't properly continue doing the same exercise.

If you're saying that since you lifted weights you actually feel "weak" all the time, that's a little odd. I guess I'm not sure what you're defining as weak. For me, I might feel a bit wobbly right after I finish, and then be sore for a few days, but I wouldn't call it weak and it doesn't stick around long. What exactly are the feelings that are problematic for you?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    You will adapt. Like anything else your body isn't used to, continual repetition of it will force the body to adapt. Your body is telling you that it's not accustomed to resistance training, so keep it up. You'll enjoy the benefits later. This is why many are not in shape. It takes determination and discipline to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Check this out! It will make you laugh!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/573666-evidence-of-a-successful-leg-workout

It will get better, like ninerbuff says! First two weeks I found hard, but I love it!

:flowerforyou:
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    You will adjust :) Being sore, tired etc is very normal in the beginning especially with heavy lifting. I usually have a post workout snack like a cup of chocolate milk or protein bar that helps with my stamina later during the day.
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    We need to know more :-)

How long do you feel exhausted and how soon before and after are you eating? What are you eating and do you have issues with blood sugar?

Wellfitlife.me
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not working the same muscle groups back to back.

Sleep, this is important, so very important.

Zinc, vitamin b6, ample protein, good hydration.

Don't cut carbs excessively if you are at calorie goals, carbs are fuel, in both lifting the weights and processing the protein needed to maintain and build lean mass.

The more strength you build the easier it will be over time, but also this is a good time to challenge yourself.
  • cpldjski
    cpldjski Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I guess the best way to describe it is that my arms and legs feel like jello, but my stomach also gets upset. I feel sort of like I may need to throw up. I know that soreness is a good thing, but I feel physically drained and almost to the point of feeling ill.

I don't have any blood sugar issues that I know of. I do have hypothyroidism and Grave's disease which I take medication for. Normal worksouts are in the morning at 5, with nothing to eat before hand. I'm just not one of those that can eat and then work out. Three days a week I run (doing Week 8, Day 3 of C25K this week) and then two other days I try to lift the weights.

I am on a low carb diet because my doctor recommended it. Nothing extreme, but it has helped with the weight loss. I usually will have a protein shake about an hour after finishing and I take a multi-vitamin.

I have lifted weights before and not felt like this, so I wasn't sure if it was something normal or not. I have managed to keep up with the cardio aspect, so I guess I just need to keep trudging along.

Thanks for all the responses, it is greatly appreciated. :)
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting heavy, you probably need to eat something before you workout. Even a banana will help.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I would get off of low carb if you are lifting, yes you can do it without, but it's not good for long term.

Focus less on low carb and focus on good carbs.

Try eating some oats in the morning, do your workoout a bit later. Or try a light smoothie with some carbs in it (blend up fruit, flax, protein powder or greek yogurt etc).

Eat some cottage cheese with a bit of fruit and raw honey the night prior before you go to bed., you might feel better working out in the morning.

If it is to the point of nausea and sickness, change up how you are fueling those work outs.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I can't eat low carb and lift or I feel that way too. Carbs aren't bad as they give you energy and when balanced with a good amount of protein.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    That's how you're supposed to feel! :D Lets you know that you really worked them hard. There's a few girls on my friends list that are barely able to pick up a glass of water afterwards!

Just make sure you're not over doing it. Always stop if you feel actual pain. Give your body 48-72 hours between heavy lift days and make sure your protein intake is above normal to repair your muscles. I'm sure since you've been doing your research you've seen similar things.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It's normal for arms/legs etc to feel like jello. That's just a sign of a good workout, and you'll get used to it. :smile: The sick feeling, I get like that when I haven't eaten for a while, or haven't got enough carbs. It might be an idea to re-discuss the low carb option with your doctor, explain what you are doing and see if raising them a little might help.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My body is also exhausted after lifting weights. I usually start with a banana only so I have a bit of energy, but keep plenty of water handy. After the workout, I do a protein drink/bar combined with a decent meal.
    Even before I worked out on a regular basis, sometimes I had stomach irritation from a multivitamin. I need to have enough food in my stomach to buffer it.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Make sure you aren't dehydrated, especially if you are working out right after waking.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I saw a mention of low-carb in the replies; not sure if the OP is doing that, but I tried Atkins a few years ago. I would get extremely light-headed during workouts, to the point where I wouldn't finish or risk just passing out. I asked around, and found that people on low-carb diets have some success by eating something that will give you a quick spike of carbs about 30 minutes before the workout. I'm not even necessarily talking about fruit; they would eat a pack of Smarties or something. Your workout should use them up before the carbs have a chance to screw with your ketosis.

Anyhow, something to keep in mind. Whatever your opinion on low-carb dieting for weight loss, you may really need some carbs to handle strenuous workouts.
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I guess the best way to describe it is that my arms and legs feel like jello, but my stomach also gets upset. I feel sort of like I may need to throw up. I know that soreness is a good thing, but I feel physically drained and almost to the point of feeling ill.

I don't have any blood sugar issues that I know of. I do have hypothyroidism and Grave's disease which I take medication for. Normal worksouts are in the morning at 5, with nothing to eat before hand. I'm just not one of those that can eat and then work out. Three days a week I run (doing Week 8, Day 3 of C25K this week) and then two other days I try to lift the weights.

I am on a low carb diet because my doctor recommended it. Nothing extreme, but it has helped with the weight loss. I usually will have a protein shake about an hour after finishing and I take a multi-vitamin.

I have lifted weights before and not felt like this, so I wasn't sure if it was something normal or not. I have managed to keep up with the cardio aspect, so I guess I just need to keep trudging along.

Thanks for all the responses, it is greatly appreciated. :)
    Try having your protein shake immediately after your workout and you may need another skake later on on the day.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Totally should - it means you're doing it right.
  • jpapakalos
    jpapakalos Posts: 3
    Options
    I did super heavy lifting my last 12 week program and I felt the exact same way. Every 4 weeks, I lowered the reps in each set and lifted heavier, so the feeling came back with each increase. I started using a supplement called SizeOn in my water during weight training so I wouldn't feel so spent afterward. It helped, especially when I did cardio afterwards.

If you are lifting to your max, you may want to increase your rest between sets to 90 seconds so your muscles can recover. Make sure you eat an hour before working out and immediately afterwards. I'm still doing a 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat ratio in my daily nutrition.

Warming up first, then stretching for a few minutes before and after heavy weight lifting helped with the soreness too.

You would be surprised at how minor adjustments can make you feel.