Irying to convince myself to go jogging...

Options
But the problem is the most athletic thing I've ever done in public is walking, and I feel overly self conscious even doing that. I know I shouldn't care (and that most likely no one will pay any mind to me anyway) but I'm just a little terrified of going. :tongue:

My question is, those of you who jog/run, how do you get over it? Will it just get easier once I actually go and get it over with?

(Yeah, and I accidently hit submit while trying to change the title, so ignore the typo please. :laugh: )

Replies

• yankeefamily05
    Options
    Thats crazy. I was thinking about this myself today. My husband and I took a 3.5 walk and most of it was up hill and I was DYYIINNGGG.......Than you see people just jogging on by . I thought, I wonder what I would look like jogging...I think I would look ridiculous.:grumble:
  • ldbenincasa
    Options
    I know that I look rediculous, but I don't care! I am SUPER SLOW for starters...no way to hide that, so I just got over it. Frankly, I figure it is better to be out there moving and getting healthy than it is to be sitting at home feeling self concious. I have been "running" for three years now and just don't care any more. Having said all of that...even in the heat of summer I wear capris. I can't bring myself to expose my thighs when running. I have started wearing shorts again (when I am not running), and feel pretty good in them, but the jiggling fat while running is more than I can stand to share.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I know I look ridiculous too, but you know what? For the most part those people looking at you as you jog by are wishing that they were jogging too.

I jog around my neighborhood - and have been doing that for 4 weeks now. At first I know I was kind of a spectacle in my neighborhood - neighbors would just kind of stare as I went by. But something changed - and I feel rather certain that this would happen to you.

As my neighbors got used to seeing me at least 3 times a week, they began to wave and even cheer me on a bit. It really made me feel good, because I was figuring that they were watching me with disdain. But they were wishing me well.

Don't assume that people will make fun of you - for the most part they will be cheering you on!!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Do you have a trail you could jog on? A lot less public than jogging down Main Street. I don't even like biking in public, so I stick to the trails for the most part- unless I'm biking to get myself somewhere specific.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    Trust me when you're actually jogging, what people think about you will be the last thing on your mind. All you'll feel is the pain and burn. :laugh: Just remember to wear a GOOD bra. You definitely do not want your boobs to be bouncing around and a suitable outfit for jogging. Other than that people will have no reason to stare.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    funny you should bring that up today. I just went for my walk....that new song Boom Boom Pow came on and before I knew it I was making up moves as I walk/jog./skipped/jumped down the street.

PPl passed me and I didnt care.

Not sure how I got here.........other than music takes me away.......I dont think about anything

I hope you can get over it.......I feel so GREAT right now!!:flowerforyou:
  • mschellep
    mschellep Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    l
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Just want to give the update that I did go! It actually wasn't that bad. The trail I went on is a little bit out of the way and has some trees/bushes to block sight from some of the traffic. I did walking, jogging, and running intervals, and I'm very glad I went! I walked more than the other two because I don't have very good lung capacity yet, but at least it's a start right? My goal is eventually to jog (then to run!) the whole stretch I did today without slowing to a walk.

Well, I'm gonna go do some time on the stationary bike now! Thanks for the encouragement. =)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Just want to give the update that I did go! It actually wasn't that bad. The trail I went on is a little bit out of the way and has some trees/bushes to block sight from some of the traffic. I did walking, jogging, and running intervals, and I'm very glad I went! I walked more than the other two because I don't have very good lung capacity yet, but at least it's a start right? My goal is eventually to jog (then to run!) the whole stretch I did today without slowing to a walk.

Well, I'm gonna go do some time on the stationary bike now! Thanks for the encouragement. =)

WOO HOO Live that is wonderful!

So glad you went and feel good now!!

have a great night!:flowerforyou:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Gratz!! That's wonderful! There is this program that some of us in here are doing, it's called Couch to 5k. It gets you running in a slow but steady program that pushes you, but gets you ready to run a 5k. You might want to give it a look:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There are resources and pod casts to help you along here:

http://www.c25k.com/

There is a Couch to 5k Group for support of one another doing the program here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/63330-couch-to-5k-anyone-we-start-on-monday

It's a great program.