Winning this battle

Options
MariaMariaM
MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
Warning 1: It takes me a while to get to my point so I might be rambling a bit.
Warning 2: English is my third language. I will try to keep grammar as perfect as I can but you will likely see errors. I am writing on a forum and not sending emails / letters at work so I am OK with the errors.
Warning 3: Everything I say here is just my opinion and it is based on my personal experience and beliefs. I understand that people might not agree with some things I might say and that is OK with me. The world would be a boring place if we all agree on something, don't you think?

Losing weight is a battle that all of us face and that is why we are on MFP or that is why we started here. Today I think I have won that battle because I was able to not only lose weight but also have managed to keep it off for 2 years now.

When I first started, my goal was to be down to 125, which is the weight I was at in my early 20s. As I was getting closer to that goal, fear entered my life and I started to think: What if I can't keep it off and everything comes back. What can do I do to avoid failure? The answer for me was to adopt a lifestyle that was manageable and to not think of it as dieting. If you ask me today if I am on a diet my answer will be a big NO. Dieting to me means short term because more often than not, it is associated with deprivation. People on a diet avoid certain types of foods, workout strenuously and sometimes do things that are not healthy. I am flexible in my eating habits, I enjoy eating and drinking and in moderation this is not bad thing. This is how I have been able to keep the weight off for 2 years and knowing that what I do is sustainable, I should be able to maintain for a long time.

Short summary on how I got here. I used MFP for 90 consecutive days while I did my first round of P90X, 2 years ago. I reached my goal a couple of weeks after I finished the program . I stopped using MFP and my weight settled between 127 and 129. I came back to MFP on Jan 1, 2012 because I wanted to tone up and go down to 125 for a cruise I had in March. MFP is a good way to add some structure to nutrition and workout habits. As you can see on my ticker, I went over my goal and today I am around 117 - 118. I will continue to log my food and exercise because I like knowing what I eat on a weekly basis. I look at weekly averages because sometimes I am way over and sometimes I am under. My weekly avg is for the most part spot on.

Commitment to a balanced healthy lifestyle and having friends that share similar goals (not just weight loss and fitness but overall health) are the keys to success in my opinion.

Here are some pics that show where I was at on May 1st 2010 and where I am at today. I can't believe I let myself go for so long but what is important is that I took control back and I am winning this battle.

Front
Front-1.jpg

Back
Back-BeforeandAfter.jpg

Side
Side.jpg

Replies

• sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You, my friend, are a true inspiration! I was stalking your pics last night when I was feeling down about my slow progress. :) You are dedicated to health and I greatly appreciate the oppurtunity to learn from you on my own journey!
  • lilbrohoppy
    lilbrohoppy Posts: 24
    Options
    just amazing congrats
  • LizJ08
    LizJ08 Posts: 127
    Options
    Simply amazing progress! What a success story. Thank you for posting!
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Yes, you ARE amazing! And you look marvelous!
  • Oilfanchick
    Oilfanchick Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your story, you are truly an inspiration!
  • crissa413
    crissa413 Posts: 67
    Options
    You are amazing!! First off, English is your 3rd language?? I really had no idea and cannot tell at all! You truly are an inspiration and I hope I can look like your after photo someday. What an amazing change while doing it the right way. Health is my biggest focus, and I agree with every word you said. I am so glad I found you on here and can learn from your journey!! Thank you for your support and encouragement - I appreciate it more than you know! Oh and I REALLY think I need to get on the P90X train :)
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great results! You look fab. And your english is great!
  • okielizzy
    okielizzy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are amazing!
  • MariaMariaM
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I just had to write the warning about the grammar. I guess I get defensive about it and with so many people pointing it out in other threads, I just wanted to cover my back :smile:
  • dannytheman
    dannytheman Posts: 63
    Options
    Very inspiring! Thanks! Great job!
  • Mzfoster0517
    Mzfoster0517 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I always say it has to be a lifestyle change to be successful, diets are meant to be broken, like New Years Resolutions. You have made some tremendous changes from looking at your photos and you should be proud. Heck I'm proud and it isn't even me. YOU LOOK GREAT! and as long as you stay aware you will continue on your path.

Everyone reading your post will and should be encouraged.
  • MariaMariaM
    Options
    Thanks. One reason I have never done NY resolutions is because I will probably break them on the first week!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    congrats
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Fabulous. Your grammar is better than many who call English their first language. :-)
  • MariaMariaM
    Options
    Yes, you ARE amazing! And you look marvelous!

Thanks but I think you are amazing! Your story and dedication is great.
  • MariaMariaM
    Options
    You, my friend, are a true inspiration! I was stalking your pics last night when I was feeling down about my slow progress. :) You are dedicated to health and I greatly appreciate the oppurtunity to learn from you on my own journey!

Thanks! I have been there. It will get better!
  • toothcake
    toothcake Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for the story and the pic. makes me feel that if you can do it so can I...I'm feeling very inspired:smile: Congratulations you look great!!
  • sheilairis
    sheilairis Posts: 16
    Options
    You look soooo awesome! Love your story as it's real and realistic. Gives me motivation that i can also do what you did. It's nice to read about other people's journeys and realize how much we all have in common! Thanks for the story and the pictures! Thanks for being you:flowerforyou:
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wow you look wonderful!! How did you get down to your current weight after P90X? Did you do another round?
  • MariaMariaM
    Options
    Wow you look wonderful!! How did you get down to your current weight after P90X? Did you do another round?

Hi, thanks. Yes I did another round that started on Jan 1st of this year. I was down to 119 by the end of the round. The additional couple of pounds came after. I am doing Brazil Butt Lift now and I think that has contributed to the 2 additional pounds lost. At this point I am trying to maintain while still lifting the booty and getting leaner with BBL.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!