Muscle Milk

Options
Hey everyone! So I recently purchased some muscle milk and i put it, along with some fruit, in the blender. But it just did not taste good. Does anyone have any good ideas of a type of fruit or something to put in the muscle milk (vanilla) to make it taste any better? THanks in advance for any suggestions. :smile:

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Instead of muscle milk, try Jay Robb protein powder. It is all natural and the BEST!!!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    What flavor did you get?
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    Instead of muscle milk, try Jay Robb protein powder. It is all natural and the BEST!!!

Darn, I saw this at Whole Foods and didn't get it. :angry: Does it taste good? How well does it mix with water?
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    1tbsp peanut butter and half a banana in a blender

mix the powder with orange juice, half a banana, strawberries, and a few drops of vanilla extract

low-fat or skim milk, powder, low-fat/fat free coffee ice cream or yogurt OR vanilla yogurt with a scoop of instant coffee
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    if its chocolate, it doesn't go well with fruit. personally I don't like fruit in protein drinks, period, usually just slug em as they are.

I rather just enjoy the fruit itself : )
  • kokonutmama
    Options
    I've never tried muscle milk, but I when I was doing protein powder I liked it with frozen berries because the berries have a strong flavor and the cold makes it harder to taste the nasty powder.
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    What flavor did you get?

+1 I have the Strawberry flavored muscle milk and I mix it with skim milk. It tastes better with milk than with water.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I just mix it with milk & chug it. They don't sell it at coffee bars ya' know,,, it ain't supposed to taste good. :bigsmile: :smile: :laugh:
  • alipetrey
    Options
    I say eh--- with the muscle milk. It has stabilizers like maltodextrin... that's a corn byproduct. Gross. Who thought you were eating corn with your protein shake?

Use whey protein...

But honestly myself, I go with don't worry about protein shakes.
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    I have the chocolate and I mix with water and 1/2 teaspoon of coconut flavoring.
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    protein...whey....helps with losing weight and muscle repair and recovery after work outs.

There are many on the market....I actually drink called ORYX its goats milk...I mix 2 scoops with 4 oz water and slam it down....tastes like cake batter. I have been drinking shakes since 2001.

I found body fortress to be gritty. GNC has some good ones but they can get costly. Any muscle milk products taste really sweet to me so I dont use them but my former trainer does. He is also a competitive body builder.

Protien is important in the weight loss procedure. Most people up their protein when they hit a stall and then it starts all over again. I am not saying consuming protein will make you a muscle monster or slim and trim it does help tho, I have read that getting 30 % of your cals from protein works better for weight control and your body composition than getting the standars amount which is 15%.

Some people opt not to use them....some people supplement their diet with the shakes. Its up to that person. Some people get enough from their diet....I dont and must supplement. I have a requirement that is far less than that of MFP. I dont even post my food diary on here because I cant follow the intake suggested....I keep food journals by hand.

You will get a mixed bag of suggestions as to consume or not, whey or soy, how many and so on. Just remember you and your goals are unique to you. Also...your body only absorbs about 50 gr protein at one time so dont drink 2 or more......only extreme body builders can absorb that much.

As for mixing things in it....remember to count the cals and carbs and so on. I used to add sugar free tang or sugar free nesquik. I have even added my leftover coffee. Now...nothing. SYNTRAX NECTAR makes some good ones....

good luck
    Tammy
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    here is a recipe for you....keep in mind it is mixed with vanilla whey powder and count the nutritional info

1/2 c fat free plain yogurt
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
    1/2 c natural unsalted chopped walnuts (about 10 1/2's)

you will eat this not drink it.....you can add the powder to certain foods to eat and not drink

253 cal
    30 gr pro
    13 gr carb (1 gr fiber)
    9 gr fat (1 gr sat fat)

this would be a good breakfast. or snack.

here is a breakfast shake

1 c water
    1 scoop choc or van whey powder
    1Tbsp smooth natural p-nut butter
    1/2 c dry steel cut oats (old fashioned)

blend til smooth

355 cal
    30 gr pro
    32 gr carb (5 gr fiber)
    12 gr fat ( 1 gr sat fat)

I have seen recipes where the powder is added to pancake batter. So you dont have to just drink it.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Some people opt not to use them....some people supplement their diet with the shakes. Its up to that person. Some people get enough from their diet....I dont and must supplement. I have a requirement that is far less than that of MFP. I dont even post my food diary on here because I cant follow the intake suggested....I keep food journals by hand.

good luck
    Tammy

FYI, go to customize goals to change your carb-protein-fat ratio in MFP. HTH
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Darn, I saw this at Whole Foods and didn't get it. :angry: Does it taste good? How well does it mix with water?

Yes, it is the best protein I have ever tasted. And, I have tasted a lot.
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    ASTRIDFELINE , thanks for the info. I may eventaully use the food diary but for me it is just easier in my diet minder journals....they fit in my hand bag....I also use one for fitness. I just find it easier to keep track at that moment. I eat numerous times a day and do not always have the puter at my fingertips. I love the journals as they have little spaces to write notes about how you feel or maybe a daily goal you met and also track my vitamins as I take a handful 2x per day.

Oh yeah...love the cat in your ticker. It looks like my Mozart who passed last year at 16 years young!!! He was a well travelled lad....born in Texas, then went to southern IL, northern IL, Boston Ma, and back to northern IL and then to Ar....

thanks
    Tammy
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    with cooler weather coming...here is a hot drink recipe

Here is the Chi Tea recipe from Pam T's blog http://www.pamtremble.blogspot.com/
    Protein Hot Chai Mix
    6 scoops vanilla protein powder 1.5 cups non-fat powdered milk 3/4 cup instant unsweet tea mix 3/4 cup Splenda 1T. chai spice mix (or use half cinnamon and half ground ginger) 1t. ground cloves 1t. cardamon (original recipe calls for this, but I don't have any, so skipped it)
    Mix all dry ingredients in bowl until well blended. Add 1/2 cup of mixture to mug and add either splash of cold milk or water -- stir to create smooth paste (so you don't get lumpy protein powder). Add 8oz hot water and mix well. You can top with Light Redi Whip and a sprinkle of chai spice or drink it naked. (The drink is naked, not you.)

do not have nutritional info....I saw this on the OH website (oh= obesity help)
  • smiles04
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm actually trying to GAIN weight... so the muscle milk was recommended to me by my doctor. The peanut butter and banana idea sounds really good. I have alot left so I think I will be experimenting for a while... :tongue:
  • disbey
    disbey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The rootbeer float flavor is very tasty.
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    ur trying to gain......well that changes everything

I know there is a shake out there that is ready made and has about 900 cals in it...in just one!!! Look at bodybuilding.com they should have them.

good luck
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I have a big tub of Super Advanced Body Fortress whey protein and I mix it wih 8 oz of water or fat free skim milk and it is both good to menow that I order my weight set to come Im ..Im make sure to have a drink after lifting ready for the abs in my stomach and arms..my legs are incredible dont mean to toot my on horn but toot tooot:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :laugh: