MFP Recalculation

Options
So since I've lost so much weight :glasses: MFP asked me to recalc all my stuff. After doing so it dropped me down 230 net daily calories (1770), to get to my goal of 230 (-2/week). Does the new calorie amount seem low to anyone else?

Also I'm 6'5, 242, 22 years old, mostly sedentary, with most of my cardio being 45-50 mins @ 4.0 with 4.5 incline burning around 625 calories.

Replies

• klaflamme
    klaflamme Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 202, 32 years old - I've lost 18 pounds too but it hasn't asked me to recalc all my stuff. Mine has started out at 1200 calories to lose 1.6 a week, although I've been averaging 1.5 - 2.0 a week.

With all that exercise you do, I would imagine that you would have a lot more calories to eat per day. On days you work out, it should be 1700+625=2325 cal a day.

I'm a 2 weeker to MFP so I'm not sure if this seems right. A 6'5" guy would seem to need a lot more calories a day than me.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The reason it's so low is that 2 pounds a week is a really aggressive goal. Depending on how much you have left to lose, you may want to consider re-setting it to a pound a week. Because, I'm just guessing that's going to keep you pretty hungry on days you don't exercise.

Although that's probably what's up. . .I would double check all your info (height weight and sex, etc) just to make sure your stats are correct here.

HTH.:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    So since I've lost so much weight :glasses: MFP asked me to recalc all my stuff. After doing so it dropped me down 230 net daily calories (1770), to get to my goal of 230 (-2/week). Does the new calorie amount seem low to anyone else?

Also I'm 6'5, 242, 22 years old, mostly sedentary, with most of my cardio being 45-50 mins @ 4.0 with 4.5 incline burning around 625 calories.

The basic calculation is 15 calories per pound to maintain your weight.
    If you want to lose 2 pounds a week you reduce it by 1000 a day.

That is impossible for me, because I am 135, but for you that number is about right for 2 pounds a week.

Because you only want to lose about 12 pounds, and you want to KEEP the muscle you have, maybe drop it down to 1 pound a week?
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Only to a 22 year old would 45 min of cardio be considered not very active. I am 66 and do no exercise a day, so I think you should consider that really you are pretty active and need more calories and that you should reflect that in your MFP.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Now that you're closer to your goal, you should reconsider trying to lose 2 pounds / week. I recommend moving to a 1 pound / week goal which would up your calories, but move you a step closer to what your maintenance calories will be.
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    cool, thank you everyone for the input!
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    yeah i just changed it to 1 lb and it went up to around 2200, so i put it to 1.5 which put me at 2020. I'll go with 1.5 : )