Body fat % analysis?

Options
2»

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    heres how you calculate bodyfat. its a bit Maths teacher-ish but its accurate.

multiply your bodywieght by 1.082
    add the result to 94.42
    once your calculation is done, save this number (BW x 1.082) + 94.42 as result 1.

Multiply your waist girth by 4.15 and save result as result 2
    subtract result 2 from Result 1
    the result, is your lean bodyweight (your body without fat)

finally subtract your lean bodyweight from your total body weight (total body weight - lean bodyweight)
    multiply the result by 100.
    divide this result by your total bodyweight = your BF %

so, (total BW - Lean BW) x100, divided by your total BW = BF%

long winded but it works and its free.

I was hoping this was for real.

1) 112.9 * 1.082 + 94.42 = 216.5778
    2) 25 * 4.15 = 103.75
    3) 216.5778 - 103.75 = 112.8278 lean body weight
    4) 112.9 - 112.8278 = .0722
    5) .0722 * 100 = 7.22 / 112.9 = .0639504

So according to this my bf% is .06. Did I do something wrong or is this complete crap?
    I'm confused as well... what in the world is the "total body weight" The first result? ...?

Looks like you got it right until step 4. It should be:
    4) 112.9 - 103.75 = 9.15 X 100 = 915
    5) 915/112.9 = 8.10451727
    * You have 8.1% Body Fat. You are skinny!!!

I knew I was doing something wrong, but that still isn't right. Oh well

According to this my BF% is 7%...No way in hell....
  • br2012
    br2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    whoa, scale with handles said 32%, bod pod said 21%, calipers say 18% and that formula says I'm 6.2% BF. I choose, hmm... calipers or bodpod.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

add the result to 94.42
    once your calculation is done, save this number (BW x 1.082) + 94.42 as result 1.

finally subtract your lean bodyweight from your total body weight (total body weight - lean bodyweight)

Your method gives me 137 lbs of lean mass. My DEXA showed 120 lbs lean mass. My BF % as measured by DEXA is 32%... your method gives me 22%... why would I be on a diet if that were true? Sorry... this calculation is off.

For the record, my bioelectrical impedance BF monitor on my scale gives me 31.5%... relatively close to my DEXA.

Edited again to add: I spent $100 on the DEXA.
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Bod Pod is said to be accurate, but the numbers can be off, due to the temperature in the room or even if the machine has been bumped during the room getting cleaned. Your hair can get in the way of the results.
    What is this "hair" of which you speak?
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've heard something called the Bod Pod is accurate. Not sure about the whole ultrasound thing.

Supposedly the body fat scales and handheld electric devices arent terribly accurate.

Calipers you have to be trained how to do properly.

I do my own bodyfat test. I do a plank without a shirt on and look down...If it looks gross..I'm still fat =P

LOL! I did that tonight..... 4 kids later I have just a lil "loose skin" on my belly. Bleh.
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Doctors should be able to do a displacement test to measure your body fat percentage.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options

add the result to 94.42

... I don't know where you got this nonsense, but it sounds like rubbish. It appears to be some obscure way to get some form of a BMI. And - as we all know - BMI is a HORRIBLE reference for anything other than returning a useless number.

If you want to get a rough estimate of your body fat on a low budget, find a friend and get some cheap calipers from Amazon or your local health supplements store.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_0_11?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=body+fat+caliper&sprefix=bodyfat+cal,aps,210
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I got one done at my Doctor. I guess i don't know how accurate it was. I had one done by my nutritionist as well and they were awfully close and completely different ways so I guess it must have been accurate or both were wrong the same way.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Bod Pod is said to be accurate, but the numbers can be off, due to the temperature in the room or even if the machine has been bumped during the room getting cleaned. Your hair can get in the way of the results.
    What is this "hair" of which you speak?

A person performing the Bod Pod correctly knows you need to wear a swimming cap and calibrate it between each testing. It's hard to explain, easier to look up but the Bod Pod measures with air volume on your body and lung expansion and air trapped in hair whether excessive body hair for men or long hair for women can mess with the results. Hence the need for swimming caps. I trust the bod pod and callipers over any hand held device or online calculator. There are too many factors that go into calculating the % that the latter 2 just can't test.
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options

add the result to 94.42

I feel like this calculation is intended for guys. Guys do carry fat differently than girls do. I got 21%, which is definitely too low.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    A person performing the Bod Pod correctly knows you need to wear a swimming cap and calibrate it between each testing. It's hard to explain, easier to look up but the Bod Pod measures with air volume on your body and lung expansion and air trapped in hair whether excessive body hair for men or long hair for women can mess with the results. Hence the need for swimming caps. I trust the bod pod and callipers over any hand held device or online calculator. There are too many factors that go into calculating the % that the latter 2 just can't test.

What are the many factors that you are talking about?
  • randall774
    randall774 Posts: 37
    Options
    i got this off a bodybuilding forum. i have a device at home now which measues BF and the two results for me are pretty close, hence my saying its pretty acurate.

just incase anyone was doin it wrong heres an example....

if you weigh 150lbs and have a 29" waist - step 1 is (150 x 1,082) + 94,42 = 256,72
    step 2 says that lean bodyweight is 256,72 - (29 x 4,15) = 136,4
    finally step 3 says that BF is (150 - 136,4) x 100 divided by 150 = 9,07%

total body weight is what you see on the scales......
    lean body weight is minus the fat.

also, makes sure you are measuring your WAIST not HIPS.

works for me, just thought id share it since you were askin for a cheap way to measure bf.

cheers
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

also, makes sure you are measuring your WAIST not HIPS.

Natural waist (smallest circumference of the abdomen) or navel (largest part of abdomen, for me anyway)? When you say 'waist' I'm not sure which one you're referring to, since I see different I structures on different bodyfat calculators. There is a significant difference in those 2 measurements for me (probably 3 or 4 inch difference, maybe a tiny bit more or less, haven't measured in a few weeks) so I'm wondering which one I'm supposed to use. Want to try out your formula. :-)